PDA

View Full Version : HLCD that fit in Roswell Cans?

loudsubz
06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
I am getting the 4 can setup and light bar with my 2010 LSV. What HLCD speakers have you guys installed with minimal or no modding at all? I don't mind cutting the cans to accept a wider speaker, but I'm more concerned with depth as I know the cans taper at the end.

stretch55
06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
The bullet hollow points should fit in them. They are an amazing speaker! They sound great up close and like your at a concert from a far. Plus I think that they are the only speakers besides the new kicker that you can buy without an integraded speaker can.

sandm
06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
bullet hollowpoints fit the depth, but you do have to make some mods to the cans. the bullets have a little larger basket than the stock speakers. I had to take a jigsaw with a metal blade and cut the diameter of the opening 1/8" bigger then redrill new screwholes. took around 1hr(be careful as the aluminum mounting face only has a few welds to keep it in place. saw will tweak the metal if it bites). a good stereo shop should do the job for around 75bucks if you don't want to. the cans should be removed from the tower prior to cutting.

my biggest complaint with the hollowpoints are the lack of an enclosure for the crossover board, so if you do go that route, make sure you put something behind the boards to keep them from shorting across the aluminum of the cans..

loudsubz
06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
The bullet hollow points should fit in them. They are an amazing speaker! They sound great up close and like your at a concert from a far. Plus I think that they are the only speakers besides the new kicker that you can buy without an integraded speaker can.

krypt also make an HLCD in 6.5" that should drop in but I have not tested it. I have their 8" and they sound good.

loudsubz
06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
are you guys talking about the hollowpoint 7.7 or a smaller one?

stretch55
06-07-2010, 11:14 AM
are you guys talking about the hollowpoint 7.7 or a smaller one?

The smaller ones. The 6.5 hollow points.

jmvotto
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I think they are talking about the 6.5 because they would be a direct fit in the roswell towers.

Best bet since you have the 8", if you cant cut them to fit, then sell them as new and get new cans for the 8" krypts. OR sell the 8"'s to Newty and buy the 6.5" to fill the cans and sell the kicker speakers...

loudsubz
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
problem is I already included them in my trade in, and dealer can't swap with the roswell tower so my only option is to mod the roswell or remove and replace with something. If the quality of the 4 can setup is good I will just re-use the cans.

Wheres the best place to buy the hollowpoints from?

stretch55
06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
problem is I already included them in my trade in, and dealer can't swap with the roswell tower so my only option is to mod the roswell or remove and replace with something. If the quality of the 4 can setup is good I will just re-use the cans.

Conntact David at Earmark marine. That is where I got mine. They are great to work with!

sandm
06-07-2010, 12:14 PM
2nd earmark. they are easy to deal with and david will help you out with all your questions. super nice guy..

jmvotto
06-07-2010, 12:23 PM

got it now.thought you still had the 8's

Earmark's got them

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/home.php?cat=322

loudsubz
06-07-2010, 01:10 PM
hmm am I missing something? All I see is the 7.7 HLCD raw drivers on that site??

sandm
06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
they don't list the raw drivers for the 6.5 inchers. call david and I bet he'll hook you up..

you won't be disappointed with them. they are fantastic speakers and the service from earmark is great..

EarmarkMarine
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
loudsubz,

Those newer Roswell pods mount the speakers with a plastic ring suspended from the nose of the pod with a metal bracket. Its a very light-duty mounting system to suspend a much heavier HLCD.

Also, while 6 1/2-inch HLCDs have the same 7-inch O.D. grill as standard coaxials, the interior basket size requires an oversized hole which will necessitate that you open up your plastic rings. The larger midbass motor structure may also conflict with the interior tapered metal bracket, not to mention fitting in the passive crossover board.

Its hard enough for an undersized midbass driver to keep pace with a more powerful HLCD tweeter. But the challenge is compounded when the driver is in a very small displacement pod. Thus, you don't get the same midbass extension or tonal balance that you would from a HollowPoint 770 for example.

You might consider upgrading your combo bar with HollowPoint 650 coaxials. Its the best sounding and most aggressive non-HLCD speaker I've heard and its pretty much a drop-in for your pods.

The HollowPoint 650 HLCDs are now discontinued. We have two pair left. Bullet is out. And that's it.

Good luck getting service parts for Krypt as their overseas source won't ship them product anymore.

David
Earmark Marine

loudsubz
06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
thanks for taking the time to respond David.

What is your take on those coaxials that are drop in?

I came from a pair of KMT6 that I bought 2 years ago and they sounded good, but I could barely hear them while boarding, so if there comparable to them then I will pass.

What about the kicker km6500.2 setup?

loudsubz
06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
David, when you said Bullet is out... do you mean going out of business?

Also what is your choice for budget HLCD setups or am I going to be stuck paying for wetsounds etc.

I agree on the Krypt parts issue as well, I think we all assume buying a pair of speakers means they are disposable if they break...

jmvotto
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
The HollowPoint 650 HLCDs are now discontinued. We have two pair left. Bullet is out. And that's it.

David
Earmark Marine

So that means that if you have service problems with the bullets 6.5 hcld that you bought within the year or the two you have left, you are out of luck with parts???

KG's Supra24
06-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I have the 6.5 coaxials that i bought from earmark. I love them. They are crisp and clear and were a direct drop in to my roswell cans. I have the old roswell speaker/lightbar combo, though.

Another note .. although these speakers sound excellent, i will likely be upgrading to HLCD when i decide to bite the bullet.

You just have to decide how important the distant hearing is to you. I can hear mine at wakeboard distance, no problem, just not like an HLCD. In the boat they are as clear as can be. When the boat stops to turn around and pick me up i find myself wondering if the whole lake can hear what we are listening to.

In summary, the bullet 6.5" coaxial is a great setup, especially if you dont want to bite the HLCD bullet (ha, no pun intended)

EarmarkMarine
06-07-2010, 06:36 PM
loudsubz,

Bullet HollowPoint is clearly an ongoing concern. Bullet has simply discontinued the 650 HLCDs and is concentrating on the 770 HLCDs. I agree with their decision relating to complete packages as the hang height is only 3/4-inch lower for about 40 percent more surface area and pod displacement. Its a big performance difference for a minimal cost increase.

However, its not a particularly good thing for the raw retro market but that is simply too small of a portion of business to maintain this specific model.

jmvotto,

Bullet HollowPoint has an exclusive, continuing and positive relationship with their overseas builders. So diaphrams and re-coning materials should be available for years to come.

David
Earmark Marine