PDA

View Full Version : Chances you'd buy a boat without a tower?

pullin
06-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Hello all, newbie here.

I'm a certified "old guy" who's been using his 2001 Moomba Kanga for waterskiing for the past decade. My kids use it for boarding and the occasional footing run. I'm curious how likely you would be to buy a used boat without a tower. I'm thinking of selling it, and am curious how much of a deal-breaker a tower is for the serious wakeboarder.

FWIW: On the plus side, it'll come to the new owner with a Skylon, Boom, Boards/Skis/Skate/ropes/Sacks/etc., tandem trailer, and in good shape (garaged). On the minus side, it's got 560 hours, no tower, factory sound system, and it's a closed bow. (Thinking of asking 10,500 for the whole package).

I bought it mainly to ski, but it seems like more folks want to wakeboard nowadays.
Any and all replies appreciated, I'm just trying to get a feel for whether folks would settle for a Skylon .vs. tower when looking for a wakeboard boat.

pic here: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a162/rbp2/Boat007.jpg

Razzman
06-06-2010, 05:04 PM
For a serious wakeboarder a tower is a must have. however people will but without and add a tower. For a baseline price of value check NADA online.

zabooda
06-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Very nice boat. I would price to sell as someone who only skis may pick up on it. I would leave the tower off as the next person could pick what they want and perhaps discount the boat some to offset their cost. The towers vary in looks and cost so I would leave that up to the next person.

pullin
06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
For a serious wakeboarder a tower is a must have. however people will but without and add a tower. For a baseline price of value check NADA online.

Thanks Razzman. I checked with NADA and I'm within $250 of their estimate (average retail).

maxpower220
06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I doubt you would get any return on a tower by installing to sell. The extended pylon would cover that.

Don't sell your boom, you will want it again and it will work (most likely) on your next boat.

sandm
06-06-2010, 05:53 PM
personally, I wouldn't buy a boat without a tower, but I also would not touch a direct drive. my buddy is a die hard skier, but hangs with boarders. he bought a boomerang with no tower and added a skylon pole and that is what he was looking for.
personally, there's a market for your boat w/o tower, but it may take a little longer to sell. def. no return on installing a tower, but it might look more attractive to someone with a skylon pole packaged, and then just get another with new boat..
10k would be a nice deal up here on that boat.

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-06-2010, 07:43 PM
to the right person your boat is perfect and a good deal its just waiting around with it for sale till that one comes along. it seems like wakeboard is new big thing and everyone who buys a boat for wake boarding will want a tower but you get the die hard skier then your boat is for them.

jmvotto
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
there are people who are buying just ski boats, my friend is in the market but they want an older nautique because of what they trained behind

Waynes345
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I bought my boat sans tower and don't really want one. It came with a Fly High X-Pole and we use that for our nascent surfing skills and the odd wakeboarder or kneeboarder we have on board. I couldn't be happier and don't really want one over my head. That being said, my next boat will probably have one, just because most do and the kids would kill for one with big honking speakers hanging off it.

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I bought my O/B without the tower-- it came with the Skylon pole. I ordered a tower immediately and installed it. Sold the skylon and got almost half my money back. If it's the right boat it will sell and they buyer will outfit it the way they want it.