PDA

View Full Version : Smoke & high pitch noise, temp 180+

02Outback
06-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Towards the end of the day today I noticed a light smoke coming from the transom as well as a high pitch noise coming from engine compartment. Noticed the temperature between the 180-200 mark...called it a day.

Impeller?

Water Pump?

02' Outback LS.

Thanks,
Cody

viking
06-06-2010, 01:32 AM
I'd definitely check impeller first. Easy to do and cheap to fix if that's the culprit. At least rule that out first. 3 bolts and you'll know right away.
Good luck!

02Outback
06-06-2010, 12:14 PM
That was my thought also. I will most likely pull this today and see what is going on.

02Outback
06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
pulled the impeller today..found the culprit!

It was torn up pretty good. Time for a new one.

Anybody have the part number for an 02' Outback LS?

02Outback
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
below is a pic

james yarosz
06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Yep,thats a bad one.

DOCDRS
06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
ok i have to ask...........when was the last time you replaced it and do you have a water strainer?

02Outback
06-06-2010, 11:29 PM
I just purchased the boat over the winter. Not sure if the previous owners have ever changed it. We have had it out a few times this year with no issues. We had the dealer do a full inspection of the boat before purchase and came back with no issues.

viking
06-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Easy find, Easy fix, Easy done :)
When it goes from FINE to starting to overheat with no other signs it's usually the impeller. Glad it was minimal. Back on the water in no time!

02Outback
06-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Easy find, Easy fix, Easy done :)
When it goes from FINE to starting to overheat with no other signs it's usually the impeller. Glad it was minimal. Back on the water in no time!
Thanks Viking, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the impeller I need for my 02 Outback LS:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

I will be back up and running by this weekend!

AaronWhitt82
06-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Yes,
That is the correct impeller

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 10:07 AM
We had the dealer do a full inspection of the boat before purchase and came back with no issues.

They didn't check the impeller on a DD? It's one of the easiest (and most important) things you can do.

JesseC
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Have you been back out on the water? I would imagine that the squealing you heard was not coming from the impeller. Here is why, when the impeller shreaded it sent the pieces into your cooling system. The next component up the line is the standard GM water pump. More than likely the fins from the raw water impeller jammed in the water pump and the squealing you heard was the belt slipping on the water pump pulley. Make sure you check the inlet and outlet of the standard water pump for debris from the impeller.

OBV6
06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Make sure you pull all of the impeller vanes out of the in-line filter on the outlet side of the pump or you will still have overheating issues.

JesseC
06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
I am failry sure that there is not a filter after the raw water pump, or am I misreading the previous post?

Here are the other checks that I would do.
1) Pull the hose off of the inlet side of the trans cooler. Check it for debirs, this is what killed my first impeller. (A piece of cardboard was in there.)

2) Make sure there are no obstruciton in the vdrive inlet/outlet

3) Check the strainer under the boat for an obstruction. One occasion on my lake a guy sucked up a ziploc bag and it stuck to the strainer. When he pulled the boat out the bag fell of onto the ramp.

4) Pull the thermostat and check for pieces under it. (Be sure to replace the gasket, using the old thermostat is ok, but I would replace it since your there and they are cheap) You may also at this point leave the thermostat out, reinstall the housing with old gasket and run on a fake-a-lake and flush pieces out. Then pull the housing and replace with new gasket and or thermostat.

OBV6
06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
On my 06 OBV there is a @ 12 inch long cylinder between the outlet side of the pump before it enters the block. There is a brass drain plug on the bottom of it. If you pull the hose off the bottom of it, inside the cylinder you will find a flat steel screen with what feels like 3/16 holes in it. I have had to clean it out a couple of times due to plastic bottle cap pieces, grass and most recently (Sat) full of bark chips. I also have a friend with a 22 SSV who spent a hole summer chasing over heating problems until I had him check it. He came out literally with a whole fist full of impeller vanes. Props out to all who have contributed input on the stariners. I bought one today to put on. If anyone wants pictures I can post them tomorrow.

02Outback
06-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Remember, this is on a DD.

JesseC
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
On my 06 OBV there is a @ 12 inch long cylinder between the outlet side of the pump before it enters the block. There is a brass drain plug on the bottom of it.

Oh ok, I think you are describing the trans cooler. That makes sence to me now.

02Outback,
All of these components except for the VDrive will be on your boat as well.