PDA

View Full Version : Folding the tower

newyear14
06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I have to fold the tower in my OB V to park it in the garage. Does the frequent folding harmful?

you da man
06-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Not harmful...it just gets old. Glad my new storage unit is tall enough that I don't have to do it anymore, especially with 4 Bullet HP 770's on the tower.

newyear14
06-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Not harmful...it just gets old. Glad my new storage unit is tall enough that I don't have to do it anymore, especially with 4 Bullet HP 770's on the tower.

glad to hear that, it does get heavy!

Big Boss
06-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I have to fold the tower in my OB V to park it in the garage. Does the frequent folding harmful?

Just be careful when lowering it. The tower on my '07 OBV will rest on the upper hull on the front of the boat when fully lowered.

I have a couple of the super cheap orange lift jackets that I use for padding between the tower and the hull.

I raise and lower mine several times per week, and haven't noticed any ill effects.

aaron

Hoopskier
06-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Just be careful when lowering it. The tower on my '07 OBV will rest on the upper hull on the front of the boat when fully lowered.

I have a couple of the super cheap orange lift jackets that I use for padding between the tower and the hull.

I raise and lower mine several times per week, and haven't noticed any ill effects.

aaron

I have 2x4 for a prop rod. Sits on the trailer tongue and holds the tower from resting on the hull when lowered. Simple and cheap.

newyear14
06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I have 2x4 for a prop rod. Sits on the trailer tongue and holds the tower from resting on the hull when lowered. Simple and cheap.

Funny you said that...i did the same thing!:)

insanepolack
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Funny you said that...i did the same thing!:)

Same haha!

2007 Outback V
06-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I still don't understand why SC thought it would be a good idea to have the tower fold down and rest on the hull? Seems to me like a little change and design and a resting brace could solve the problem. Then again, that would add to the cost of the boat. At least the tower can fold down.

deepcove
06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
One of my front tower bolts once broke when I folded it forward. I guess if these are cranked too tight it can happen...so consider yourself warned.

I agree the tower resting on the bow gel coat is not a well thought out design. I built a stand for my tower that is basically a small triangular piece of plywood with a hole cut thru it where the bow light is and a 4X4 mounted to it to hold the front of the tower aprox one foot off my bow.

OttertailOutback
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Been folding our OB V tower down for 3 years now into the lift and we have had no damage to our hull... Just need to be careful!

jeffrogge
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
I also am rocking the 2x4. I have cut a V into the end so it sits in there nice, with a rubber gasket buffer. 1st class. hehe