PDA

View Full Version : anyone using a barefoot boom please help!

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
what side of the boat do most people run this off of?

i got a v drive so if i order one it will have to stay on that side... where some you can switch to whatever side you want.
my issue is when i dock or tie off to my cousins boat i wanna be on my port side so i can see what i'm doing so i'd have my boom off the starboard side. will there be issue with it?

also do you guys get it for barefoot skiing or other uses...i don't have any desire to try this just want it for the youngsters and beginners in the family to learn to wake board and ski.

maxpower220
06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I have always had mine on the port side. I can't really tell you why, it's "just the way it's been". It makes a lot of things more difficult: talking to your person on the boom, picking up the fallen skier. However, it does allow you to work around the dock like normal. When people fall learning to barefoot, it throws a lot of water up and if they are on the port side, it doesn't usually soak the driver.

I use mine to help teach young people to ski (2 skis) and it could work for boarding, I use it to barefoot and shortline barefoot. Big beware: people are close to the boat when they fall and it is possible for them to bang the side of the boat with that equipment.

deerfield
06-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Gus - My boom extends out the starboard side, allowing me to talk to the person on the boom. Yes, the driver gets wet. But I have a twenty-four inch extension that helps minimize spray into the boat. Great teaching aide for ages and toys of all kind - not just for footing. My setup is on an Outback direct drive. - Deerfield

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-06-2010, 08:57 AM
ok i'm a dumbie! i said that backwards in my first post i want it off the port side or passenger side like maxpower has it! i'll always have other adults who can talk to the little one on port side while i drive so thats not much of an issue there and i think i could get use to picking someone up on that side so i keep my starboard side clear to tie off to the other boat like i always do cuase i we go walk boat to boat this way.
the last thing i want is to beat up my boat using this boom deerfield do you have any issues with skis or board hitting your boat with the extension...and with the extension you still get spray in the boat? could you put on 2 extensions to get them out a little farther? i have talked to footers edge twice but wanted the opinions of you guys on here that have it who are unbiased

maxpower220
06-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I've never had anything (equipment) hit my boat, I was just pointing out that if you are not careful it could happen. Being careful when picking up the fallen skier is key because you can't see them as they pass down the passenger side.

I don't have an extension and have never needed one.

deerfield
06-06-2010, 09:25 AM
deerfield do you have any issues with skis or board hitting your boat with the extension...and with the extension you still get spray in the boat? could you put on 2 extensions to get them out a little farther?

gus08 - No issue with skis or boards hitting the boat. I suspect that would be the case, too, even without the extension. Last weekend had my middle son who weighs 200 pounds on skis and oldest son who weighs 240 on a board. Wanted them to have the experience of the boom before their friends got out there for the first time. Yes, even with the extension I got spray in the boat. Don't know about a second extension. Probably should check with the manufacturer or a reliable pro shop. - Deerfield

OBV6
06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I am using a tower mounted "BI" boom on my 06 OBV. Like most, I only got it for my kids. I have it port side mounted as well, you can't coach as well from the drivers side but it does allow for leveling the boat out easier. The spray is only bad when the kids try to everyone wet. The CD that comes with the boom was a great help also as I had never footed before nor will I ever again! this is not the best boat/option for experienced footers (more wake than a DD) but on good water the kids don't care!