PDA

View Full Version : Trailer axle hubs

MEDIC151
06-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I have one on my trailer that leaked out all the oil in the last couple of days. I checked for tightness and that wasn't the issue. What is the procedure for refilling, etc? Also, my stock head unit has a cd stuck in it, which for me is a good thing since now the wife will let me get a new one. I want to get one that is mp3 ready and was wondering if the remotes will work on a new head unit. I haven't gotten out there yet to mess with it. It just seemed like the prudent thing to do by asking the experts before screwing anything up. Any info is appreciated.

viking
06-05-2010, 12:11 PM
On the hubs,
If it's completely empty then I'd say one of your seals is bad and you'll have to contact UFP:

http://www.ufpnet.com/Axles/tabid/55/Default.aspx

I just replaced my oil in my Trailer Buddy GOLD axles and it's a matter of removing the allen screw on each hub, turning the hub so the hole is down and let it sit and drain for awhile. It's time consuming and messy but pretty easy. Replace with standard 50weight oil. Be carefull not to strip the allen screw as I did. Mine was seized in so tight I ended up stripping the allen wrench before the screw and had to use an extractor to get out. I ended up replacing both allen screws and bought a couple extras to have on hand just in case it happens again. Get a small food funnel from your local grocery store or a Bed Bath & Beyond where I found one small enough for the opening in the hub to put the new oil in.

Here's a pdf on the procedure:

http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/trailerbuddygoldmaint.pdf

As far as the new head unit working with the remote pucks. Do a search as there are many threads on the subject. Bottom line: if you use a Kenwood deck it should work with the remotes as long is it has the blue remote wire in the back. I opted for the Excelon X-493. Get a similiar model and you'll have AUX, USB, and everything you are looking for.

Heres a thread on the topic but as I stated, search and you'll find 1/2 dozen or so:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=11295

cab13367
06-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I have one on my trailer that leaked out all the oil in the last couple of days. I checked for tightness and that wasn't the issue. What is the procedure for refilling, etc? Also, my stock head unit has a cd stuck in it, which for me is a good thing since now the wife will let me get a new one. I want to get one that is mp3 ready and was wondering if the remotes will work on a new head unit. I haven't gotten out there yet to mess with it. It just seemed like the prudent thing to do by asking the experts before screwing anything up. Any info is appreciated.

Regarding which head unit will work with the stock remotes, see the thread below. I got the pic from Sonicelectronix.com. They have great, high res close up pics of all their gear.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9532&highlight=kenwood+remote

PWO
06-05-2010, 07:12 PM
For the 50w oil are you using straight 50W oil (which seems pretty hard to find?) or something like 20W-50 synthetic?

NewmbaTX
06-05-2010, 10:13 PM
The manuals and specs call for straight 50wt oil. And you'll probably find most guys use just that. Can find at least one brand at most auto parts stores and walmart. MFG's dont like to recommend alternatives, too much testing and legal stuff! And few owners are willing to risk costly damage from a "bad decision" to try other stuff the whats recommmended. But guess you can try other oils if you like.

cab13367
06-05-2010, 10:54 PM
For the 50w oil are you using straight 50W oil (which seems pretty hard to find?) or something like 20W-50 synthetic?

I'm using 50w oil as specified in the manual for the hubs.

viking
06-06-2010, 01:36 AM
YES - straight 50wt. Found Royal Purple 50wt at O'really Auto Parts here in town.

MEDIC151
06-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the info. About to dive into both projects.

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Anybody know how often you are supposed to change it?

PWO
06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
The manual says something about when the oil becomes milky as seen through the view window. I don't know if it's just because mine was used and dirty or if they're all like that, but when I got around to changing mine this weekend the oil in there looked pretty well used compared to new, but you never would have known it looking at the view window because it's almost opaque. All I could make out through there was the fill line going up as I added oil.

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks! I'll have to take look this week.

deerfield
06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Anybody know how often you are supposed to change it?

According to the service guide published for the Trailer Buddy GOLD axle on a Boatmate trailer:

"It is recommended that you change the oil in your GOLD system after 20,000 miles or every two years unless oil becomes a milky color." (Page 2)

"Use standard 50 weight motor oil. Do not use heavier or lighter weight oils; variations in oil additives and viscosity can affect oil containment in the GOLD system." (Page 1)

GOLD = Genuine Oil Lubrication Design (Page 1)

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for digging that out. I read all the other manuals cover to cover but kind of skipped the trailer manual cuz I think I know how it works.

MEDIC151
06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
The UFP site is a joke. Hard to navigate. I pulled the cap off and looks like everything is good. I will fill it back up and see if it was just loose enough to leak. If not, I'll get another cap and seal. Thanks for the input.