PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old ballast bags?

Lawdog
06-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I upgraded my ballast bags from the 400 lbs to the 750 lbs. Is there a pump that I can use with my old ballast bags IF I wanted to add more weight for wakesurfing?

I went to the local watersports store and asked and they looked at me as if I was from another planet. I had to explain to the guy that Moomba uses bags and not hard tanks and he looked at me as if I was stupid. Funny thing is that there is a Moomba/Supra dealer a couple miles down the road.

sandm
06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I took the fittings and swapped them out for a glued-in fitting and a section of clear hose, then put another fitting on the other end that matched the pump you throw overboard. bought a cap as well to cap it off when it's full. they do make nice bags, but are way too big and everyone seemed to stumble around them in the boat. the launchpad 440's that I have are much smaller and easier to use.

my .02..

Lawdog
06-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Where did you get the fittings? I'm not really sure I am going to even use them with my 750's but I want to keep my options open if you know what I mean.

sandm
06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
home depot. threads were a little different, so I cemented them in to ensure they would stay. it's the white pvc sprinkler stuff.
I can post a pic tomorrow, but they are all packed up behind the boat right now.

viking
06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
wakemaker.com sells all kinds of flyhigh fittings and the ones that work with the Tsunami pump too!

kaneboats
06-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Send Spencer at Wakemakers an e-mail and ask him for a recommendation. These guys are stretched thin but they do know their stuff. They'll get back to you and let you know what you need. Be patient and they'll take care of you.

tlatoani
06-05-2010, 12:40 AM
I bought some hose fittings/splitters at Lowes and split the intake hose to my bags. I have to switch it by hand, but it's worth it for surfing occasionally. The drains have not worked as well, but we manage normally by siphoning it overboard. No extra pumps or anything, but it's not exactly elegant.

viking
06-05-2010, 12:16 PM
For not much money you can get a Tsunami pump that boths fills and empties and the qwik fittings for the pump. It's second best to having it plumbed in imo.

cab13367
06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I upgraded my ballast bags from the 400 lbs to the 750 lbs. Is there a pump that I can use with my old ballast bags IF I wanted to add more weight for wakesurfing?

I went to the local watersports store and asked and they looked at me as if I was from another planet. I had to explain to the guy that Moomba uses bags and not hard tanks and he looked at me as if I was stupid. Funny thing is that there is a Moomba/Supra dealer a couple miles down the road.

Lawdog,

That's exactly what I did when I first got my 750. I bought the tsunami pump with the hose and fittings (which I subsequently sold to viking) and filled one of the stock sacks manually with it when we wanted a little extra weight for surfing. It was a bit of a hassle and I found that it did not really add that much to the wake (it was only a 275# bag).

But if you want to go that route, you can buy everything you need at places like wakemakers.com, buywake.com, wakeside.com, etc.

Here are the items you need:

Tsunami Pump with hose and fitting pre-installed ($99):
http://images.wakeside.com/tsunami-pump-l-prod.jpg

Put this fitting in place of the quick connect on top of the bag ($13). You connect the Tsunami pump to this.
http://www.buywake.com/catalog_images/Fly%20High/lg/valve_730_739.jpg

Put this cap in place of the quick connect on the bottom of the bag ($5):
http://www.buywake.com/catalog_images/Fly%20High/sm/valve_731.jpg

Al

Lawdog
06-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the photos Cab. I'll give those a try. Thanks.

KG's Supra24
06-07-2010, 04:35 PM
I did exactly as Cab was showing. Next best thing to having plumbed. Works quick. We use them religously everytime we surf.

I picked up the 750 and used the tsunami to fill a 400 on top of it. Now i am filling both my 400's as much as possible in the surfside, on top of the 750. Absolutly love the tsunami pump and the quick connect fittings shown above.

I even ran into another skiers choice boat last weekend and let him throw one of my bags in and i filled him up with the pump. Needless to say, he is upgrading bags now. :)