PDA

View Full Version : shaft packing help

sandm
06-04-2010, 10:17 PM
so I got the 4 cords of the old packing out and am attempting to put the new stuff in, but it's REAL tight. how do yo get it forced into the nut, lined up right and able to be tightened down?
I would think that it would go in somewhat loose then the compression of the nut would force it to expand?

thanks

ssmith
06-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Here ya go...

TIGHTENING/PACKING TECHNIQUE
Screw the packing nut onto the packing gland assembly. Tighten it up as much as possible by hand. Then using a wrench, turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a ½ a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. This will pack the packing fairly tight.
- Back the packing nut off the assembly again. Then thread it back on. Tighten it only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.
- Tighten the Lock Nut up to the Packing Gland Nut.

sandm
06-04-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm having a hard time getting the packing into the nut enough to even find threads to start. the cord is WAY tight and doesn't seem to stay lined up when I try to put it in.
everyone else's experience that it will just slide right in or is it real tight going back in?

ssmith
06-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm having a hard time getting the packing into the nut enough to even find threads to start. the cord is WAY tight and doesn't seem to stay lined up when I try to put it in.
everyone else's experience that it will just slide right in or is it real tight going back in?
I was able to just wrap the new packing around the shaft and get it barely started in the nut, just enough to be able to start threading the nut on and then basically tightened the nut to push the packing in and then loosened the nut and repeated the process. It is tight but shouldn't be terribly difficult. Are you sure you have the right size packing?

Here is the full write up on mine if you're interested...

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=6381

sandm
06-04-2010, 11:05 PM
dealer told me that they only sell one size. it was cut off a master roll and sold in a ziploc bag. problem is I ruined 2 sections trying to get it installed, so I'm off to the napa dealer tomorrow morning. they sell fel-pro teflon coated packing. they have 3/16 instock, so I'll get a couple of feet for mistakes. the stuff I bought looks just like what came out, but it doesn't seem to want to slide into the nut. I can get it almost all the way in, but not beyond the lip of the nut, and to try and "push" it the rest of the way in ruins it or pushes the joint out of alignment. guess I just need to play with it for a while.
it was easy to remove with the dental-pick looking tools I got at the local hardware store, just doesn't want to go back in..

ssmith
06-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I had no idea Napa sold packing like that....interesting. Based on your boat model (v-drive), 3/16 should be right. Keep us posted and good luck.

sandm
06-04-2010, 11:15 PM
well, I'll see if it's like we should need. the inboard specialties dealer here told me about it since they don't carry 3/16, only 1/4. dealer is now sold out as I got the last baggie, so going to look at what napa has. figured I'd be able to tell if it's the right stuff or not by sight. not all of them do carry it. 6 in the valley and only one does.
if not, have to head to another dealer and back to regular wax packing.
kind of frustrating. should be an easy job to get it back in, but not this time..

zabooda
06-05-2010, 02:58 AM
sandm, was there four pieces that came out? I think you may have too much packed in. I also used a screwdriver to push it into place.

ssmith
06-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Order it from skidim. I had it 2nd day air delivered and the total cost was like $22. Here's the link...

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO3/16X24

sandm
06-05-2010, 09:36 AM
4 pieces came out of the factory packing job. I have not done this since the boat was new. planned on putting 3 back in. that seems to be the norm for most..

scotthons
06-24-2022, 09:08 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to replace the packing on my '06 Supra Launch 21V. I have done it before and do not remember having any trouble getting the new packing back in. This time I can not get even one cord back in. I am having the same problem as Sandm in his original post. I feel like I ordered the wrong size, but it is 3/16 which I believe is the correct size. I am using the same technique and using a cute piece of PVC to wrap around the shaft to help slide the cord up in the nut, but I am getting nowhere. Any other advice would appreciated.

sandm
06-24-2022, 12:46 PM
man. wish I could remember the end process. that was 12 birthdays and a LOT of beer ago. I do remember it being a biotch and lots of 4 letter words. I almost gave up and took to dealer but it eventually worked out. didn't leak a drop once done which was likely not the right answer but 2 more years of fun on the lake with nary an issue says it was ok.

I told myself if it needed done again I would pay for a dripless unit/install and stop packing but it was easier to sell the boat and get a new one with that installed :)

RUGER761
06-24-2022, 03:42 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to replace the packing on my '06 Supra Launch 21V. I have done it before and do not remember having any trouble getting the new packing back in. This time I can not get even one cord back in. I am having the same problem as Sandm in his original post. I feel like I ordered the wrong size, but it is 3/16 which I believe is the correct size. I am using the same technique and using a cute piece of PVC to wrap around the shaft to help slide the cord up in the nut, but I am getting nowhere. Any other advice would appreciated.

Shouldnt be that tight to get it in. Do you still have an old piece you pulled out to measure the set thickness?

scotthons
06-28-2022, 02:48 PM
Shouldnt be that tight to get it in. Do you still have an old piece you pulled out to measure the set thickness?

Unfortunately, I tossed all the old pieces. I confirmed with Bakes and Skidim that I purchased the correct size. I was able to get 2 pieces back in, but it was a major pain. Much harder than I remember the 1st time doing it. I will go for a 3rd next time I try. Even just 2 pieces it seems to be working fine.