PDA

View Full Version : 20 Hour Service

cbboarder
06-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Taking the OBV to the dealer tomorrow for the 20 hour service. What's a fair price for the 1st service?

you da man
06-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Mine was $172

deerfield
06-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Taking the OBV to the dealer tomorrow for the 20 hour service. What's a fair price for the 1st service?

cb - The dealer from which I bought my Outback charges $225 for twenty-hour service check. I did not pay, as it was one of the three incentives, along with first season in/out service and first season winterization, the dealer offered to close the deal at the boat show. Can't find the record of all that was included in twenty-hour service. I know it included oil and filter change. The rest would just be a guess. - Deerfield

kaneboats
06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
That is so friggin' cheap. I've heard guys talking about 3-400 for that service. I did mine tonight on the LSV. Took a while with my "sucker" pump but it was happy hour anyway so I had lots of patience. Really nothing to it. I think I spent about $22 on fluids and stuff. No complaints.

deerfield
06-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I think I spent about $22 on fluids and stuff.

Got that right. Now that our '07 is beyond the three-year warranty period, I service the boat myself and the Mrs. is really happy with the money we save not paying the dealer.

wolfeman131
06-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I'll see if I can find my invoice from when I had it done. If I remember correctly, it was less then $200. I've found that when I have posted costs here that Atlanta Marine's price has always been fair and usually on the low side. Same for when I have compared to Atlanta Inboard.

kaneboats
06-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Well I have to consider the 4 hr. drive to the dealer-- both ways-- unless I want to wait. Wait, I still have to drive both ways, don't I? No, unless it's warranty it will be done by the kaneboats express quality marine service with a smile. :)

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Well I have to consider the 4 hr. drive to the dealer-- both ways-- unless I want to wait. Wait, I still have to drive both ways, don't I? No, unless it's warranty it will be done by the kaneboats express quality marine service with a smile. :)

god forbid something happen to your engine will skiers choice balk at fixing it cause your done the work yourself and your not a certified moomba dealer?

jmvotto
06-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I had the oil change and filter done for about 75.00 checked eveything else myself, the dealer did the 100 hr. at winterization.

wolfeman131
06-05-2010, 09:22 AM
OK, found the invoice from July '08. It was more than I remembered @ $290.

Looks like service included most of what mmandley had. Here are the big ones:
- oil & filter
- fuel filter
- transmission service
- labor (this was majority of expense)

cbboarder
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Atlanta Marine is charging $260.00. Thanks for all the info. I think I'll have the dealer do the 100hr and I'll handle the rest myself.

Thanks for the info.

jmvotto
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Greg,

Make sure you change the oil, the break in period produces fine shards of metal from the engine and they need to be removed.

good luck.

cbboarder
06-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Joe, I hate for that 5 year warranty go to waste. What I meant to say is I'll have the dealer do the 20 and 100 hr.

kaneboats
06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
god forbid something happen to your engine will skiers choice balk at fixing it cause your done the work yourself and your not a certified moomba dealer?

That would be comical to me because I'm in court every day and they have to pay someone to be there. Unless we are to believe their highly skilled technicians are the only ones that can change oil, they will have a serious problem on their hands.

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-06-2010, 09:03 AM
oh i agree with ya there i live and work on a farm and we got a semi and 5 dump trucks and about 10 tractors that we do our own oil and fuel filter changes on i think i'm pretty qualified for that but i don't need to end up in court loosing time away from work and the lake and the money to try to prove it. there are some things that is beyond my talents and i don't mind paying for it but a simple oil change is a pita to take to the dealer to do.

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
The reason you can't get a straight answer out of them is they don't understand what a warranty is. The dealer is not a party to the agreement. It's between you and the manufacturer. Obviously, if their dealer performs all the service on the boat it's much harder for the manufacturer to claim it's something you did. But, changing fluid is changing fluid. Keep your receipts and document your service and you can hold them to their promises. There is nothing in the warranty that says who has to do the service.

addendum: Have you seen the super lube or lube pro commercial that says: our service complies with your vehicle warranty or something to that effect? They are trying to combat dealer misinformation that says you'll void your warranty by going elsewhere for service.