PDA

View Full Version : San Juan Islands, WA

cab13367
06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Sorry for this off topic post. My sis-in-law is visiting from Houston and we would like to spend a day exploring the San Juan Islands. We plan to drive our car onto the ferry at Anacortes. Which of the San Juan Islands should we visit? In doing some research last night on the internet, they all appear to be very similar. We have no specific agenda in mind – just enjoy the beauty of the islands, possibly spend some time on a beach, do some light hiking, horseback riding, possibly do some sea kayaking and/or. We will be staying in Bellingham Sat nite and plan to spend all day Sunday on the island(s).

I see there is a lake near Bellingham – Lake Whatcom – does anyone boat there?

Does anyone take their towboats to tour the San Juan Islands? Or does the water get too rough and the distance too far?

Thanks,

Al

cbboarder
06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I haven't lived in Washington since 2000 but I believe we use to go to Friday Harbor. If in Bellingham, Mt Baker isn't too far of a drive.

moombadaze
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Have not been there (Bellingham) in 25 yrs myself, but still have relative's there. I do remember a lake we went skiing on -most likely the same lake-its was right off the freeway.

sandm
06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
off topic even more, but one of the best vacations I ever had was to victoria island. buschart gardens is absolutely amazing, and whale watching was a blast. something about being on a triple-outboard zodiac with 8 other people and smashing over 4-6ft swells at 25mph is an absolute rush.. saw a pod of whales and watched for almost an hour.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the islands. it's a beautiful place..

meech
06-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Have not been there (Bellingham) in 25 yrs myself, but still have relative's there. I do remember a lake we went skiing on -most likely the same lake-its was right off the freeway.

probably lake whatcom ... lake samish is great too - there are a couple of pro wakeboarders who train there ...

cab13367
06-04-2010, 02:32 PM
off topic even more, but one of the best vacations I ever had was to victoria island. buschart gardens is absolutely amazing, and whale watching was a blast. something about being on a triple-outboard zodiac with 8 other people and smashing over 4-6ft swells at 25mph is an absolute rush.. saw a pod of whales and watched for almost an hour.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the islands. it's a beautiful place..

That was the original plan (to go to Victoria) but the sis-in-law did not get passports in time.

bbyquist
06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Hey Cab, I lived in Bham from 99-04 while I was going to WWU. It's a great town, especially if you are lucky enough to hit some nice weather. Lake Whatcom is fun, it can get busy if you catch a nice day. Haven't seen much flat water there for wakeboarding unless you hit it at sunrise/sunset. Lake Samish just south of Bellingham is a great place to ride.

Taking your Moomba out to the islands sounds a little sketchy (plus you'd be running in saltwater...). The San Juan's are absolutely amazing though. If only going for one day I would say Friday Harbor or Orcas Island.

zabooda
06-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Try and get a killer whale viewing trip one day or locate the pod and view them from your kayak. Orcas Island is nice also. Don't take a car if you don't need to otherwise the wait for the ferry ride can be longer especially Friday through Sunday. Walking and bikes get on right away.

Leave the boat at home as it is saltwater, lack of radar and cool. If you do take it out, get some crab pots. A few years back I visited my friend on Hood Canal who bought my old ski boat and we would drop the pots, get some skiing in, pull the pots and go home and have dinner. I wasn't around when he replaced exhaust manifolds either.

wolfeman131
06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Take the ferry to Orcas Island and visit Moran State Park. It's about a 15 min drive to the top of Mt Constitution, but it's worth it. You can visit the cool shops around East Sound and grab some lunch. We liked the tex-mex at Bilbo's Festivo and the ice cream at the ferry landing.

kaneboats
06-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I think some of my relatives founded that place. Did you say "Moron" state park?

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I think some of my relatives founded that place. Did you say "Moron" state park?

man you've been on a roll this week!

cab13367
06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the input everyone (and for the humor kane :)). We made plans to stay the night on Orcas island. Looking forward to it.