PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide Mobius or Outback

kingramo
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey guys I need some help here deciding on a new boat. I'm looking at a 2003 -2005 used moomba at a good price preferably low 20's. The main question here is what is the main difference between Mobius and Outback? Aren't they the same hull and engine? I'm primarily interested in wake boarding is it possible to get significant wakes with an outback? Or should I just stick to a Mobius? Please all the input appreciated!!!

adsman
06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Uh oh ... I detect a moomba civil war coming

Razzman
06-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Check this link out, it will answer all your specification questions.

Moomba Archive (http://moomba.com/archive/)

kaneboats
06-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Nice post above. For a while they were the same boat but Mobius had the tower and available ballast system. Later on you could get a Mobius LSV, Outback LSV or Mobius LS and they were all the same hull. Compare the models from each year. Interesting reading.

woodrowlow
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
MOBIUS......:D.......I know u are looking for reasons why, but Mobius is all I know, so I can't compare. I just know that I have been rather pleased with the Mobius LSV that I have. I also think the Mobius weighs more which will give you a better wake!

cab13367
06-04-2010, 12:22 AM
MOBIUS......:D.......I know u are looking for reasons why, but Mobius is all I know, so I can't compare. I just know that I have been rather pleased with the Mobius LSV that I have. I also think the Mobius weighs more which will give you a better wake!

Hey Woodrow, noticed u are in Lawrence. I went to school at KU and lived in Lawrence about 8 years or so in the 80's. Used to spend a lot of time on Clinton Lake. Is that where u usually go?

New Guy
06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Check out this boat

http://wichita.craigslist.org/boa/1769396242.html

I almost picked it up before deciding on mine.

David Davidson
06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I thought about trying to sell mine and buying that one. Looks like a nice boat.

K_E_N
06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
The Mobius is essentially a package that was added to the Outback; tower, ballast, etc.

I'm only responding so I can add my story. I have owned an '04 Outback LSV for a few years. I had a friend who purchased an '05 Mobius LSV, pretty much the same color as mine. My boat has: Moomba (XTP) tower, Roswell swivel board racks, tower speakers x4, surfboard rack, tower mirror, tower mounted bimini, integrated ballast (front, rear, ski-locker), wake plate, perfect pass. His boat had (he sold it): Moomba (XTP) tower, moomba racks, tower speakers x2, small factory ballast, and maybe wake plate, that's it. It amazed me how many "wakeboarders" would say, "well, you guys' boats are a lot alike, but his is a Mobius". It was amazing because they would say it like the decal on the side of his boat made his more of a wakeboard boat. I, being the person that I am, would typically respond, "yeah, it would probably be better if you just rode behind his boat since it IS a wakeboard boat and all."

Long story short, look at options/extras, not decals.

volfo
06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
You need to read the post linked above about the models / years. Essentially, the direct drive Mobius and the Outback LS are the exact same boat from model year 2001-2005. The mobius came standard with some wakeboarding features that were options on the outback package (like a tower), but equally optioned, they are the exact same boat.

The coast guard sticker on my 2001 Outback LS under model says "Outback LS / Mobius"

In the direct drive, the boat was "new" for the 2001 model year. So, if you are looking to save money, you can buy a 2001 and get the same boat as a 2005. In other words, I wouldn't personally pay much more for a 2005 than a 2001 - but I would pay more for a 2006, because that boat - again sold as Outback LS and Mobius LS for a couple of years before they dropped the Outback LS - was completely redesigned. They still sell that hull in the Mobius LS and the Mobius LSV (in v-drive configuration).

2001-2005 Outback LS and Mobius LS is same hull. This same hull was also used, albeit in a v-drive configuration, for the Mobius LSV and the Outback LSV through 2005. Starting in 2006, the hull was no longer used for those models. However, it continued to be used in the "new" Outback V model up until 2009 I think, when that became a new boat altogether.

The regular Outback (not the Outback LS) is a different boat. It is a little shallower, a little less storage, less of a family / wakeboard boat and more of a competition ski boat. However, it is a darn fine boat, too, and not all that different than the 2001-2005 Outback LS/Mobius.

It sounds like what you should be looking for, is either a great deal on a 2006-07 Outback LSV (with tower) or Mobius LSV - or more likely to stay in budget, a 2001-2005 LSV, or failing that a 2001-2005 LS. Someone on here listed a 2001 Outback LS with approximately 250 hours at a bargain price. Look in classifieds. If the boat is as clean as it sounds, it is underpriced significantly. If you don't need a v-drive, then it sounds like a good boat for you.

woodrowlow
06-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Hey Woodrow, noticed u are in Lawrence. I went to school at KU and lived in Lawrence about 8 years or so in the 80's. Used to spend a lot of time on Clinton Lake. Is that where u usually go?

Yup, Clinton lake is where we go. It's very nice to be able to leave the house and be on the water in 10-15 minutes any day of the week! Although sometimes it gets too busy to board, we still enjoy the surf during the windy/busy days! Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU!

Happy Ridin!

Woodrow