PDA

View Full Version : Whats the stock system like?

loudsubz
06-03-2010, 06:15 PM
We might be getting a 2010 LSV if all goes well. The dealer has the light bar and 4 speaker tower setup as well as the sub and transon remote in the package.

What gear do they use for the tower speakers and amps/subs and how well does it sound? I just bought a set of HLCD speakers I would like to use but not sure if the stock system sounds pretty good already.

brain_rinse
06-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Given that you paid the money for HLCDs and your username is "loudsubz" I think it's safe to say that the stock setup will not be enough to make you happy. I'd skip that option and do it yourself.

viking
06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Some of these threads are just funny as hell! Of course after our super moderators chime in :)

I'd stick with your HLCD's and build it how you want it!

loudsubz
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Well I have never bought a brand new boat so I have no idea what kind of setups they are offering these days.

The option is already included as the boat was already built and is sitting on the dealers lot so hes trying to get rid of it.

What size are the speakers in the 4 speaker setup? I might buy some 6.5" hlcd and replace the existing ones.

Hows the rest of the system though, forget my usernamel, I used to be a bass head when I was younger, I just want it loud when boarding now :)

loudsubz
06-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Since it seems the system won't be up to snuff :) anyone swap out their stock speakers and use the cans for some HLCD setups? I can get some 6.5" cheap but they are deep. Wonder if anyone has swapped out just the existing speakers for this assuming the stock ones are 6.5"

Mikey
06-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Go into some of the archives,there are lots of threads on this. Many of us replace the in boat speakers with Polk Db651 6 1/2's which i think is a very good upgrade myself for the money,as for tower speakers the skys the limit. HCLD's are the way to go if you have the cash.I'm sure others will speak up .

brain_rinse
06-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Well I have never bought a brand new boat so I have no idea what kind of setups they are offering these days.

The option is already included as the boat was already built and is sitting on the dealers lot so hes trying to get rid of it.

What size are the speakers in the 4 speaker setup? I might buy some 6.5" hlcd and replace the existing ones.

Hows the rest of the system though, forget my usernamel, I used to be a bass head when I was younger, I just want it loud when boarding now :)
It's a great question, I just have a tendency to cut right to the chase. Many people are gutting the stock system and starting over, so with your username and a set of HLCDs on hand, well... :p Don't let it keep you from buying the boat though. It's a fine setup and works just fine for many people. The nice thing is that you can upgrade piece by piece, and only in the areas you think need upgrading. Plus there always seems to be a market for stock parts so you can recoup some money that way too.

What HLCDs did you buy? Make sure you post some pics once you buy that boat!

kaneboats
06-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Definitely put some pics up. We have some real experts on here to help you with your system too. And, you can advertise the stock stuff on here when you pull it or get the dealer to just remove it and take it off the pricetag.

loudsubz
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
thanks for the info guys, I will def post pics when I get it. For now this is the only pic the dealer sent. Hard to tell the tower speakers from the pics. The HLCD I have are Krypt HLCD from BulletLines and sound great for what they cost.

Are the stock cans deep enough to hold a decent set of HLCD or would bigger cans be needed?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/loudsubz/2010_shows_050.jpg

I assume it comes with 2 kicker amps as I have seen a few pics on the web. Does anyone know what models they are and how many watts they put out? I used to be heavy into car audio and still am into home audio and automation very much soo.

My current boat has 2 JBL 180.2 powering the tower speakers giving them 360 watt RMS to each speaker and I have 300 watt RMS going to 2 12" Kicker Comp subs, also have a 7 band EQ and harman kardon drive and play, but thats all going in on the trade in.

sandm
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
intriguing. your userid and description would lead me to believe that you have a high wattage system, but the above in your current boat does not indicate that. the factory system in the moomba should have similar power to what you are currently running in your boat, and I'm guessing you will need even more power if you plan on swapping out the cans for hlcd's.
I've upgraded the entire system from stock and am running almost 1500 watts of fosgate power and consider myself middle of the road for boat upgrades from what others have done on here :)

about the cans, I have the stock roswell cans that are holding 4 bullet hollowpoints that fit perfectly depthwise. the cans on the boat above should hold a nice set of hlcd's and you will not be unhappy with them. one of the best upgrades you can make for tunes while boarding...

btw, nice boat above, very clean look.. hope you end up with it.. you won't be unhappy :)

jmvotto
06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Loudsubz,

nice looking boat. I pick up the bullet line kypt 6.5 hlcds as well and put them in my aerial blunt cans, they should fit fine in those cans. you need at least 125 rms to each speaker at 4 ohms to pwer those.

heres a pic, not very good one from the cell phone.

loudsubz
06-04-2010, 08:16 AM
thanks for the replies.

My current boat is only 19 feet long and has a closed bow so its small. The subs are in a huge sealed box and only have a power rating of 150 watt rms so I didn't need a big amp to power them. I am also only powering the tower speakers and don't have any interior speakers running off anything.

1000 watt rms may not seem like allot but when you have efficient subs and only a couple of tower speakers its pretty loud.

I think I may just see if I can swap my HLCD with the dealers 4 can setup.

mmandley
06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the forum.

The boat your looking at should have from the factory 2 kicker 200 watt amps. 1 will be a 4 channel and this is stock on all Moomba LSV and is used to run your cabins. The rear 4 cabins will be ran together to drop the amp to a 2ohm load. The bow speakers will be ran directly to the amp.

You will then have a Kicker 2 channel and this will be powering the sub in the boat with both channels bridged. The sub will be a 10inch kicker in the foot plate and its not sealed and will do ok but not great.

As for the tower its been added by the dealer as an option as SC doesn't offer any tower setups right from the factory that i know of. This can be powered by many amps and in a variety of setups.

Ultimately the only way this forum can recommend good advise to you about the current set up and how much its going to put out to please you we need to know exactly whats in the boat.

Moomba cabin speakers are always Kicker's and they sound pretty good and is a good entry level speaker, most replace them as they are a bit flat sounding and there so much better sounding speakers out there for a few extra dollars.

Most common upgrades in the Moomba stereo is replace the cabins with Polk DB651, because for the price they sound amazing.
Build a custom sub box that's sealed or ported under your drivers helm.
Add tower speakers which you have and for the more serious people its HLCDs to be herd while boarding.

General power applications in most of the boats i read here are

Cabins range 400 to 1000 watt amps to power all six.
Subs range 500 to the ski limit
Towers range 125 RMS to 250 RMS per speaker depends on what you have.

Look at my sig i have a fairly high-end setup
heres a couple links to what im running.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10843
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10874

loudsubz
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
wheres some places to buy amps online? i havn't bought in ages and i used to always buy from the US to save money

viking
06-04-2010, 01:55 PM
wheres some places to buy amps online? i havn't bought in ages and i used to always buy from the US to save money

Sonicelectronix.com
Amazon.com
Onlinecarstereo.com
Cartoys.com
Crutchfield.com
ebay.com

Should give you a Start! :)

sandm
06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
personally, I have always had the best luck on ebay, but research the seller first. due dilligence goes a long ways..

loudsubz
06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Put the boat in yesterday and started doing some snooping around.

Came stock with the MB Quart a/v control unit and 3 wired remotes.

Amps are

Kicker ZX 700.5 (interior + sub)
Kicker ZX 250.2 -towers (roswell 4 cans)
Standard kicker 10" sub

System sounds alright but the interior speakers are not quite as fluid as I normally like, little mid range and tweeters are a little harsh for my taste.

Sub is good, but output is limited and I have to check the crossover settings as it doesn't sound like it is set properly as I get some boom on low freqs but no upper freq passed 80hz.

Roswell towers seem underpowered with that kicker amp, I like the integrated LED lighting for interior and the 3 light bar setup, kinda hard to part with it so I might just add my HLCD ontop of this system.

philwsailz
06-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Check to see if the loudness contour of the head unit is on. If it is, turn it off. That will flatten the frequency response out and bring the head unit to a smoother response, hopefully that will take the harshness out that you are complaining about. Be aware that the level difference between having the loudness off and having the loudness on is substantial! Don't have the stereo cranked witht the loudness off and then turn it on!

Lots of complaints about speakers can often be traced to a setting somewhere in the front-end of the system. Check your bass, mid and treble too, and bring them to reasonable settings if they are way out of whack.

The sub is not set up to run much past 80. If your tastes point to a desire for more mid-bass from the subwoofer, you can open up the sub amp crossover to a higher frequency, but be aware of phase cancellation as you will end up asking the sub to overlap with the mids over a frequency range, and that can in some locations create an out-of-phase condition where the mid-bass is actually lower in volume.

Holler if you have any questions....

Phil
Kicker

philwsailz
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Here is the factory setup sheets for the 700.5 amps, both the ZX and ZXM for Moomba.... This is how the boat left the factory.

Phil
Kicker