PDA

View Full Version : need more hp

crzykueter
06-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Are there any efi upgrades or ecm upgrades available for the indmar assault 325? Im needing more ponies when I have all my ballast bags full. Just not enough power on the xlv with this stock motor.

Sharpie647
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
maybe also consider a different prop. Not sure which one you have but there way be a better one out there for you and might be cheaper than trying to mod the motor.

viking
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
not much that I know of...........check out the FAQ by Indmar Engines

http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/faq.html#1.2

moombabound
06-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Cheapest is to try a fuel additive. They claim horsepower gains. I previously posted about Dyna-tab for example, which was referred to me. Their website provides data backing up horsepower gains: www.dynotab.com.

But I note from your other post today that:

"I use all stock ballast along with 2 500lb v-drive sacs and a 750 fatty in the floor towards the back port side of the interior. This really helped clean up my wake."

...which far exceeds the capacity of your boat. Short of swapping in Indmar's LS7, I think you'll struggle to tweak enough pep out of your 325.

sandm
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
new prop first if you don't have one of the 14x14 variants would be the easiest/cheapest mod.
the few ponies that a fuel additive will offer won't be enough to be noticable.

there are many of us on here that exceed the capacity of the boat ;)

btw.. www.dynotab.com

Mikey
06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
We have a local shop that Supercharges Inboards. Indmar warranty would be void but they offer there own warranty. They should. I believe prices start at about 6500.00 for about 125hpgain and up.I'm sure there are others doing the same. This is pretty extreme,i'd try a different prop first.Much cheaper.

brain_rinse
06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Like everyone else said, try a different prop first. I'm amazed at how much difference a prop can make.

kaneboats
06-03-2010, 09:54 PM
You can post your prop on here along with info about what prop you would trade for. Plenty of folks looking to move up or down.

brain_rinse
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
You can post your prop on here along with info about what prop you would trade for. Plenty of folks looking to move up or down.
Great point kane... the classifieds here are a really good resource.

CDAMoomba
06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Just put a new 14 x 14 prop on my 07 outback v, cant believe how much it helps.

maxpower220
06-06-2010, 12:42 PM
You should probably just trade your boat in and get the 409hp 6.0L. Instead of breaking down your engine, it may be cheaper in the long run and get you the results that you want.

zabooda
06-06-2010, 03:08 PM
With these 310+ HP engines, I say we need more horsepower like a rock band needs more cowbell. Gotta have more cowbell.

Moseley618
06-06-2010, 09:00 PM
It is the same as a car motor. Take the heads and either put higher flow heads on or have them reworked to flow more CFMs. Then change the cam and you do want a cam that has great low end torque and peak horse power at around 5000 rpms. Then put better better rockers, springs and valves on. If you get too wild you may have to put bigger fuel injectors in. The ecu can be sent off and remapped for the performance up grades. You can do a supercharger kit and that would give you the horses and torque you need but it is more expensive. You could do all of this for around $3 to $4K and maybe get 80flbs of torque and 100 horses. If you want more you could stroke the motor to a 383 and do all the other upgrades I mentioned and spend about $5 to $6K and get twice the power numbers ie. 160flbs of torque and 200horses.

Razzman
06-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Start with a prop, trust me. I have a buddy with a '98 Nautique Super Sport (vdrive) with the PCM (Ford) GT40, an awesome motor. He talked the same stuff as you with the same type complaints and he didn't believe me when i said change the prop. Why? because he's a car guy and all car guy think alike and will give the same advise. But unless your driving a hotboat it's fairly useless in this application. Not to mention a real good chance of blowing the trans and vdrive.

His wife called me on the sly and said "what do we need to make this boat to his liking?". I had her read the prop and it was an OJ 14x18, great for the 55mph topend it has but sucks for board sports. I called Eric at OJ, explained the problem and she ordered a 14x16 with a total didfferent cup. Guess what? That boat will now pull up a sunken tanker out of the water all for $400. :p

Moral of the story? It's all in the prop without wasting major bucks and time tearing into a motor that was never meant to be torn in to for those type of mods. You do that and you'll have to rework the ecm as well and as of now there aren't any ecm upgrades that i've heard of not to mention the end of your warrenty.

maxpower220
06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
http://www.malibuboats.com/boats/corvette

More power and for the "Car Guy" in you. Besides, everyone NEEDS 505 hp!

crzykueter
06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the info, I am going to go with the 14x14 prop and start from there. Dont really want to get into the motor, but thanks for all the good advice!

sandm
06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
that vette boat either screams mid life crisis or little pe@is syndrome :)

ejojprop
06-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Start with a prop, trust me. I have a buddy with a '98 Nautique Super Sport (vdrive) with the PCM (Ford) GT40, an awesome motor. He talked the same stuff as you with the same type complaints and he didn't believe me when i said change the prop. Why? because he's a car guy and all car guy think alike and will give the same advise. But unless your driving a hotboat it's fairly useless in this application. Not to mention a real good chance of blowing the trans and vdrive.

His wife called me on the sly and said "what do we need to make this boat to his liking?". I had her read the prop and it was an OJ 14x18, great for the 55mph topend it has but sucks for board sports. I called Eric at OJ, explained the problem and she ordered a 14x16 with a total didfferent cup. Guess what? That boat will now pull up a sunken tanker out of the water all for $400. :p

Moral of the story? It's all in the prop without wasting major bucks and time tearing into a motor that was never meant to be torn in to for those type of mods. You do that and you'll have to rework the ecm as well and as of now there aren't any ecm upgrades that i've heard of not to mention the end of your warrenty.

That was the B-Day prop for the husband. Good to hear it worked out well for them.

bslide
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I have an 05 xlv and we run a 14.5x14.25 and it helped a lot.

i935
06-08-2010, 10:47 PM
New prop...I run 2,000lbs of water when riding/ surfing. Acme 14 x 14.5. Boat pops up on a plane like a jet ski.

Call Acme direct. Be prepaired to tell them your boat specs, engine, tranny and amount of ballast you run and the'll send you a demo one to run. You'll end up buying it b/c it makes that much of a difference.

Razzman
06-08-2010, 11:08 PM
That was the B-Day prop for the husband. Good to hear it worked out well for them.

Yes it was Eric and thanks for the assist with them! ;)

ejojprop
06-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Razz - Thanks for getting the ball rolling on that one.