PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump Wont Kick.....

royalchez
06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
So I just purchased an 06 Mobius LS, The boat is a beauty, but I cant seem to get the bilge pump going. You hit the switch on the dash, it lights up, you can definitely hear the pump kick on, however it is not dispelling any water from the boat. I tried blowing from the outside and you can see it bubble by the pump. I wrapped around the bilge exit on the outside of the boat and i can physically suck some water through the line. The other problem is that the bilge keeps tripping on the dash. It will run for a few mins, then it just stops for a few and then engages again. Im definitely no boat mechanic, so I thought I would see if anyone else had this problem as well.....Appreciate any feedback. Unfortunately I am out of town right now and cant get on it. Wondering if its a fuse or something?

moombadaze
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
2nd on some kind of crud in the pump keeping it from pumping, pop the pump off the base and clean it out

cab13367
06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
So I just purchased an 06 Mobius LS, The boat is a beauty, but I cant seem to get the bilge pump going. You hit the switch on the dash, it lights up, you can definitely hear the pump kick on, however it is not dispelling any water from the boat. I tried blowing from the outside and you can see it bubble by the pump. I wrapped around the bilge exit on the outside of the boat and i can physically suck some water through the line. The other problem is that the bilge keeps tripping on the dash. It will run for a few mins, then it just stops for a few and then engages again. Im definitely no boat mechanic, so I thought I would see if anyone else had this problem as well.....Appreciate any feedback. Unfortunately I am out of town right now and cant get on it. Wondering if its a fuse or something?

I am trying to read into your post and it seems you may not know that the bilge pump is on an automatic float switch. It will kick on when the water in the bilge area reaches a certain level then will kick off by itself once it has pumped all the water out that it can. Note that it will not pump all the water out - there will still be some left around the pump. Turning the switch on bypasses the auto switch and forces the pump to come on.

If you already know all this, I apologize. There might be a partial obstruction in the pump inlet that is preventing it from priming and thus, pumping water out.

Al

Todd_Droz
06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Mine was the same way -

I got mine to work by turning the pump on at full speed to kind of force water into the system and prime the pump so-to-speak. It filled fine after that even when sitting still. I think you just may need to have some water started before it really kicks in.

Of course, I may be doing it wrong and could get scolded by others on here for being an idiot, but thats how I got mine to go! :D

Todd_Droz
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Uhm - Sorry...just realized you were talking about the bilge pump and not the ballast pump.

Admins - delete if needed. My apologies.

cab13367
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Mine was the same way -

I got mine to work by turning the pump on at full speed to kind of force water into the system and prime the pump so-to-speak. It filled fine after that even when sitting still. I think you just may need to have some water started before it really kicks in.

Of course, I may be doing it wrong and could get scolded by others on here for being an idiot, but thats how I got mine to go! :D

Todd,

No scolding here - you have to prime the ballast fill pump each time you put it in the water. Just get up to planing speed (20 mph or so) and then turn the pump on (no need to go full speed). Just need to do this one time after putting the boat in the water initially.

Al

MEDIC151
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I just replaced the bilge pump on my 06 XLV. It would show the light on the dash, but it wouldn't pump. I think that during some point, water went over the bilge pump with the battery dead and messed the motor up. I could make it come on after I pulled it loose from the mount. It wouldn't go at full power, kinda like it was weak. I put a new one in, and works fine now. 50.00 bucks at wally world and good to go.

Mikey
06-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Mine was full of carpet fragments back awhile ago,when boat was new and was very similar. Pop the pump off and likely you will find the problem,is debris of some sort.

jmvotto
06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I assume we are talking about the attwood sahara s 500 auto bilge pump. check the guts and see if anything is blocking the impellar.

thes only seem to last a coupl years based on the reviews i read online . my out port snapped off:confused: , so i am replacing mine next week..
good luck

Medic151, did you have to cut the wires and resplice them in or can you unravel enough of the loom to find the plug to the pump.??

MEDIC151
06-05-2010, 10:54 AM
JMvotto, I had to cut the wires since there was very little slack. You would think that some thought would go into that knowing that they are eventually going to be replaced. The wires coming off the new Sahara were plenty long so I spliced them in and used the excess to hang the splice from a motor mount to keep it out of any bilge water. Some of the liquid electrical tape helps also, although it says not to submerge it. Thats why I hung it up out of the water.

jmvotto
06-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info, guess i will be splicing on some connectors to do it right for the next time one breaks or quits.

Can i get some of the liquid electrical tape at wally world too.

royalchez
06-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Ya i wasnt sure about the pump, whether it was an auto float or not. It seems as though there is enough water in the bottom of the engine bay that it should be pumping the water out. When I try and manually engage the switch on the dash is when it seems to trip it and reset. I will tear the pump open when i get back to town and see if something isnt blocking it. The guy I bought it from boated mostly on the columbia river in washington so its quite possible. Thanks for the input though guys, its greatly appreciated!

jmvotto
06-13-2010, 10:29 PM
spliced the new pump in from wally world with connectors and used heat shrink to make them water tight and hung the loom hi and dry. 10 minute project.

royalchez
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Ya i wasnt sure about the pump, whether it was an auto float or not. It seems as though there is enough water in the bottom of the engine bay that it should be pumping the water out. When I try and manually engage the switch on the dash is when it seems to trip it and reset. I will tear the pump open when i get back to town and see if something isnt blocking it. The guy I bought it from boated mostly on the columbia river in washington so its quite possible. Thanks for the input though guys, its greatly appreciated!

So i went home to take your guys advice and see if the pump was actually plugged, however now I cannot even get it to kick over at all. I push the dash button and the light does not even come on now, nor can I hear the pump going whatsoever. Any thoughts now? Think my pump is toast?

kaneboats
06-15-2010, 02:59 PM
I think it's stuck and you've now popped the breaker.

royalchez
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
I think it's stuck and you've now popped the breaker.

how do i go about resetting this? is there a fuse under that button on the dash that i should be looking at?