PDA

View Full Version : Help for the beginner

purplepower
07-19-2004, 11:33 AM
My two sons had their first go at wakeboarding . They are 9 and 11 and both good skiiers. The youngest got up no problem, the oldest had three tries and gave up. I think the fact that his younger brother got out is adding to his frustration level.

He is starting in a good position, board sideways, with his legs well bent. He just gets too much pressure on the board before he is able to pull himself up.

I tried it myself. It is not easy. I found that I had to wait for the pressure to build enough to get a wave ahead of the board and then push my front foot forward , through the wave. My youngest son he actually slips sideways around the wave and that pops him up.

Next time, I am going to get into shallow water with him and see if I can just boost him that little bit as he takes off.

We seem most comfortable at 18mph? My youngest son is already getting air (the little @#$#). I really struggled for balance my first run but second was more in control. The kids are not used to seeing me fall when I ski so they are having a good laugh watching me try wakeboarding!

I could really use some tips to help my oldest son out. I know he will be fine once he gets up the first time.

Tony

purplepower
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
So what you are actually trying to tell me is that my son is right. By angling the board and letting it run (he desribed it as "slipping sideways around the wave") the board can start working onto a plane.

I guess that beacause we are skiiers, we tend to fight to keep the board from going to one side. As you know, on a ski you work to avoid it slipping to the side on takeoff.

What about my plan to boost him in shallow water? Do you think it will just confuse the issue.

Tony

medevac130
07-20-2004, 10:00 AM
I have had the opportunity to get several young riders up for the first time including my 6y/o daughter. Along the way I have developed a couple of techniques that work well with young and older riders a like.

Start them with knees bent with the board sideways (trying to keep the board pointed like a slalom ski will just tire the young'uns out quicker because the boards’ buoyancy is usually way greater than the kid’s weight). Next, tell them they are in a "tug-o-war" (as inliner says, they aren't but you want them to be using the muscles like they are) with the boat. Then tell them that you have written something on the bottom of their board and that when you start pulling them that you want them to try and see what you wrote. (Works ever time)

What happens is they they forget about board position (a good thing) pull the rope low for leverage, tighten their little abs and role their shoulders forward trying to peek over the edge to read your "message". This will cause the board to begin to sink under them and with your increase in speed, start it to plane and they are up!! I have found that most kids will naturally swing their dominant foot forward at this time. Most people that have trouble getting up are treating the board like a ski and start to try to stand up too late and the rope gets snatched out of their hands because of the amount of water the board is pushing Also remember once up tell them to let go of the rope with their trailing hand to help them stabilize. This will also help them point their hip towards the back of the boat. Good luck and have fun. Seeing how excited your kids get when they first get up is the best part of owning a boat!!!hands down!

Jim

purplepower
07-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys. I am heading off to the cottage for two weeks starting tomorrow. Looks like the Moomba will be getting a workout. I will let you know how the boys do. Some video maybe?

Tony

Lake Bound
07-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Medevac130, I have a 9yr. old son who might go 55lbs. soaking wet. What board would you recommend for such a guy. He has alot of determination but not alot of weight behind him. Looking forward to your responses.

Lake Bound
07-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Medevac130, I have a 9yr. old son who might go 55lbs. soaking wet. What board would you recommend for such a guy. He has alot of determination but not alot of weight behind him. Looking forward to your responses.

medevac130
07-28-2004, 09:32 AM
lakebound,
My daughter weighs 51 lbs right after a big meal, and she rides the hyperlite Elysian 119. That is the "girl graphics" version of the Motive 119. That size board is fine for your son’s weight range. It will probably last him to 105lbs plus, or until he turns pro (whichever comes first) The design of that board was what Shaun Murray used to ride in pro tourneys(old belmont) and is a very fun and responsive board.
Other manufacturer's sell "kids size boards" (119-to 124 range), but we are a Hyperlite family so that is the one I recommend you go with. Can't beat the lifetime warranty (they honor it, I know first hand) Fair warning though, they are pricey. My advice on this is spend the money and get a high end board #1 If your son likes it, he is set and the board will progress with him #2 If he doesn't, the odds of you selling a high-quality used board on EBay or at a pro shop will be much greater. Hardly anyone will pay anything for a used "cheap beginner Board". As for resources try [url=http://www.trinityboardshop.com/] They usually have a little negotiation room below what is posted on the web (esp. this time of year), or might have a binding deal they could throw in. You might get a chance to talk to Meaghan Major (world champ pro wake boarder that owns part interest in the shop) about the board if she is in. Very friendly and helpful person. And there is always EBay .Good luck and hope this helps. Jim

Lake Bound
07-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Thank You for the information, I am going to go pick a demo board where I bought my Outback LS. I will let you know how it goes.

J-Lawv
08-20-2004, 03:05 PM
If you still need advice on getting up.... i take alot of new riders out behind my boat, and i alwasy tell them on there way out of the water..pull the handle to there front hip, it turns them w/ no problem and helps them keep there balance...keep the handle in close to your body so it doesnt pull you forward...and bend your knees. and when they start jumping the wake, a big hint is keep the handle against your hips too, it will save you alot of hard wipeouts