PDA

View Full Version : Gas type to use in XLV?

johnnytsunami
06-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi, i have a 2009 xlv with the upgraded inmar 340hp engine. my boat is at a dock on lake Hamilton in Arkansas and the gas prices on the lake are rediculous, almost twice as much as on land! i was wondering if it would be safe for me to use gasoline from land stations in my boat. also, would i be best off using regular? premium? or does it even matter?

thank you.

kaneboats
06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I think your owners manual says you can use any 89 Octane gasoline with 10% or less ethanol. It should help with potential vapor lock issues when it's real hot to avoid ethanol altogether if possible. Some folks swear stabil additive will help. There's nothing special about the fuel at the marina-- it comes from the same refineries.

maxpower220
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
If the prices are really twice as much, it wouldn't take long to cover the price of a portable gas can to fill up from a "land" station. Like this:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=74913&pdesc=Moeller_14_Gallon_DuraMax_Flo_N_Go&aID=601R4&merchID=4006

Use any gas that you like that meets or exceeds the owner's manual recommendations.

T100
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I have the same portable to fill my boat. They are great, for a faster fill, cut the pump handle off the hose, put the hose as for as it will go into the boat intake and open the small two valves at the base of the container, then the top vent of the container. Last year we had two going at the same time in my buddies Enzo, we put them on top of two chairs to get better flow. He use to go to the on lake fill up but know this is all he and I do to fill up. More savings for more surfing!
Tight tow lines & fat wakes!

newyear14
06-02-2010, 06:43 PM
The manual says 89 octane. I also use StaBil Marine formula for protection against ethanol.

moombabound
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
The manual also says the fuel should be purchased from a "Top Tier" retailer: www.toptiergas.com. That's easy in the metro centers, but at the corner store near my lake, and at marinas with unbranded pumps, who knows where they source the gunk (err...fuel). Hence, this year I've started using the following product which has all sorts of claims: http://www.dynotab.com/
Received a free pack from my neighbor who owns an automotive aftermarket supply business. He figures the free pack will have the crack cocaine effect and I'll be hooked, as he has many customers who value it.

MEDIC151
06-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I always use the land based gas staions if it all possible. I haven't had any trouble with the exception of last year, topping off my boat for the winter, I got the winter blend fuel. It vaporizes much easier so I was dealing with vapor lock in the fuel rails. I pumped out all of it and put it in my truck and refilled with summer blend and have had zero problems since. I always use the 87 octane also, again, with no promlems.

kaneboats
06-05-2010, 10:13 PM
The manual also says the fuel should be purchased from a "Top Tier" retailer: www.toptiergas.com. That's easy in the metro centers, but at the corner store near my lake, and at marinas with unbranded pumps, who knows where they source the gunk (err...fuel). Hence, this year I've started using the following product which has all sorts of claims: http://www.dynotab.com/
Received a free pack from my neighbor who owns an automotive aftermarket supply business. He figures the free pack will have the crack cocaine effect and I'll be hooked, as he has many customers who value it.

You know, I've never believed in that "engine moonshine" stuff, but I've heard more than one legitimate mechanic type claim some of them have benefits. I wish I knew more about it.