PDA

View Full Version : Got some ski done

skiyaker
06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
shew for a minute I thought I was going to have to change my handle to wakeyaker. You see, our closest lake (prairie creek reservoir) has a 20 mph speed limit- hence why I took up wakeboarding. But in the last 2 weeks I spent a weekend at Brookville reservoir where I got out early Sat and Sun and rekindled my love of slalom. Then on Wednesday my neighbor wanted me to pull her beautiful Sanger up to Lake Webster- which I did and got 2 runs in behind one of the few direct drives I've had the pleasure of skiing behind. Then over Memorial day I was on a houseboat at Patoka lake in Indiana which put us on the water for some ski time before the crazies and tubers woke up.

well stay tuned- I've hooked up with the local ski club so next I get to try to elevate my skiing to the next level and shoot for the course!

deerfield
06-01-2010, 11:52 PM
in the last 2 weeks I spent a weekend at Brookville reservoir where I got out early Sat and Sun and rekindled my love of slalom.

skiyaker - Good to have you back from the darkside. Stay with us, man! - Deerfield

skiyaker
06-06-2010, 10:38 AM
thanks deerfield. I tried the slalom course last week and even though I'm TERRIBLE at it I think I'm hooked (I did however manage all 6 amateur buoys LOL) . Oh well, I'm off to lake barkley for some free skiing- I'll make a fool out of myself some more when I get back. I told my wife if I can get the 6 "real buoys" I might enter a grass roots even just for the heck of it.

Sled491
06-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Dude way to go. Skiing is my passion and consider myself hard core, nothing compares, don't hesitate to ask questions, there are no shortage of wannabe experts around.

maxpower220
06-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Read a few books (if you can find them) and buy a video to help your development. Otherwise, you may become like me with a lot of bad habits that are hard to break.

skiyaker
06-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Read a few books (if you can find them) and buy a video to help your development. Otherwise, you may become like me with a lot of bad habits that are hard to break.

lol thanks- I definitely already have them since I've been free skiing since I was 10 though I never skied behind an inboard until last year. I figure if I can undo just a few of them that's about all I can hope for. I guess I'll start with my nasty off side turn!

Laz
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I used to free ski as a kid. Three years ago, I tried a slalom course for the first time.. I think it was more addictive than a heroin addict's first hit.

For a golfer, it would be like spending twenty years on the driving range before someone took you to an actual golf course.

I have become a student of slalom and enjoy it 1000 times more than wakeboarding.

My latest pb: 4.5 at 28' off, 34mph.

deerfield
06-06-2010, 10:50 PM
I told my wife if I can get the 6 "real buoys" I might enter a grass roots even just for the heck of it.

ski - Put it on your bucket list. Do it at least once. And we want to hear about it. If someone is there for pics, make a little documentary for us. Go for it! - Deerfield

kaneboats
06-07-2010, 10:02 AM
My latest pb: 4.5 at 28' off, 34mph.

That's pretty doggone good.

BensonWdby
06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
4.5 @ 28 off is rockin...

I thought I used to know how to ski after doing it for 40 years. But the new ski and new weight range have put me back to newbie status... Hope to remedy that this week.

I would say - get some lessons. I highly Recommend Ski Paradise in Acapulco if you can afford it. A must do at least once in any enthusiastic skiers life.

http://www.skiparadise.com/

Sled491
06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
I read there news letter religuosly (spelling)

I'll post a video when I get time of a pull last summer very similar to Laz except only 3.5 balls :)

skiyaker
06-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd love to go to ski paradise someday but right now my family life probably fits more with a trip to Disney and a side trip to one of the ski schools near Orlando.

BensonWdby
06-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I know how the family thing goes. I had to wait till my oldes was out of college before a vaction to Ski Paradise was a realistic possibility.

When in FLa., check out McGinnis in Fort Lauderdale ...
http://www.mcski.com/included.htm

Mikey
06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Thats what we are doing this summer,is going to Disney and on a side note i get to go for 4 days to ski school with Chris Parrish as my coach.
I can hardly wait. Should start counting down the days soon as well.HAHA.
I'd like to add i finally got out for the first time this year on the weekend,and had an awesome day of skiing and surfing,now 2 days later i'm still paying the price though. I think i need way more advil.

deerfield
06-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Thats what we are doing this summer,is going to Disney and on a side note i get to go for 4 days to ski school with Chris Parrish as my coach.
I can hardly wait. Should start counting down the days soon as well.HAHA.
I'd like to add i finally got out for the first time this year on the weekend,and had an awesome day of skiing and surfing,now 2 days later i'm still paying the price though. I think i need way more advil.

Mikey - Suggestion: have a masaage therapy session right after your last day at ski school. You are going to be sore. Massage will make a BIG difference. - Deerfield

maxpower220
06-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Don't forget the "happy ending".

Sled491
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Happy ending ya right especially on a family vaca :)

All I can say is stay as far away from disney as you can. Yeah your family says they wnat to go, but your way better off keeping your money and going to some nice all inclusive resort with the family and just chillin' There is no such thing as a relaxing vacation to disney, trust a father of 3 little ones who's been there done that!

Mikey
06-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Actually the whole trip was planned before i really had a say in the matter. The ski school thing was to make it a little more to my liking. I agree about the all inclusives but i would have been just as happy going camping for 2 weeks and skiing as much as possible as well. I've been promised this will happen next year.
Dearfield i like your suggestion and think thats probably a plan.Kinda like when my wife and 2 girls have a SPA day,thing.
Just have to figure a more Manly way of putting it. Don't even go there with the Happy ending or it would never happen.haha.

skiyaker
06-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah somehow my wife thinks Disney is important- maybe in the fall. My kind of vacation is where I'm heading now- cabin on Barkley back in a cove with covered lift and a few great friends.

Mikey
06-10-2010, 09:10 PM
That actually sounds more to my liking. Can i come along too? Oh wait fotgot about the ski school,will have to pass on this time but maybe another time .haha. Just the same thats more my style.