PDA

View Full Version : great weekend sandwiched by Hoist Breaking!

04OUTBACK
05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
coming in Saturday, one of the bunks broke off the mount when coming back in from a great early am ride.. disruption of plans to go visit a friend on a different lake who just got a 24SSV.. got there 4 hrs late after buying a new 2x6, re-carpeting, and painfully reinstalling.. great.. right..

coming back in late this aft put the boat back on the lift. Cleaned up the inside a bit, and started putting the cover on... and CRACK BAM BOOM.
Boat fell back in water.. SWEET.. broken lift. the cradle broke.. Aluminum tubing.. broke in half.. AWESOME. just bought a month ago used. now I am thinking it was not the weight limit it was said to be! now I'm out my purchase of that lift..either repair or buy another...

ANYONE have any suggestions on repair? I don't want to spend any money on it if it is under my needed weight limit.. so I have to check on that first.

WOW SO FRUSTRATING.. we had great weather.
Rode over to a friend fri night, had an early am ride sat am, rode again yesterday....and got the wife up on a board again today! ALL GREAT, excpet the blasted lift! UGH

ian ashton
05-31-2010, 07:41 PM
That sucks man!

zabooda
05-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Beef up the existing lift such as using steel instead of aluminum in critical areas and do a load test such as your boat and then add some weight.

DOCDRS
05-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow what was the size of the tubing.....i have 3" galvanized I beams for my cradle.......I know i'm close to the max for them but moved my bunks further apart with 2X8 rather than 2x6

jmvotto
05-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Brad,

Thats is not fun, when we talked sat it was just the bunk, if the cradle snapped then i believe that to be faulty, usually the weight is adjusted in the strenght of the cables. I was told on mine if i ever got a heavier boat over the 4,000 limit i would have to recable it.

we got out late sunday great time and was able to surf a little with the little on in the boat.

Thanks to Mike(mandley) most of my neighbors on the lake may hateus and the stereo:) sounds great

maxpower220
06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I have a Hewitt cantilever style lift. I don't know what makes the lift different from others in the amount of weight that it can hold. Check to see if you can order a couple of different beams to make the lift hold more. My lift is 4"x4" aluminum beams and I don't know if those are any different than on a lift that has more capacity. Hard to believe that they would change everything.
Good luck. I had the cable break on me last year and hearing the boat "crash" into the water was not a good feeling. Fortunately, the cantilever just falls down on an angle.

04OUTBACK
06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
the side beam that broke is 3" wide x 2" deep.. NO WAY this is a 4000 lb lift!

I am pretty sure i am going to buy a new one that I KNOW is plenty strong enough, then look into fixing this one. I am a bit frustrated!
Guys I bought from build permanent docks and took it in on trade. they said the guy that traded it in said it was 4500 lb lift. NO WAY. something was amiss in the cantilever set up. I can tell that now.. plus I realize what happened sat am with the bunk was the beginning of this!

UGH.. 400 lbs of scrap aluminum.. might bring me $100

jmvotto
06-01-2010, 10:43 PM
brad, you should be able to have it welded then sell it for what it was made for a 16 ft larson or a bass boat...:mad:

kaneboats
06-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Really sorry to hear this Brad.

maxpower220
06-02-2010, 09:54 AM
the side beam that broke is 3" wide x 2" deep.. NO WAY this is a 4000 lb lift!

UGH.. 400 lbs of scrap aluminum.. might bring me $100

Yeah, my lift is a 3800 lb with 4x4" beams and I think that I am pushing the limits of it's construction with my Outback with fluids and gear.

Maybe you should look at getting your repaired and selling it as a 2000 lb lift.

04OUTBACK
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
guys I bought from have offered to share expense in repair.
Local marine dealer sells Craftlander Lifts.. 4500 lb lift for $2895.. I put together...
Gonna most likely do that, then fix/sell mine..
Previous owners of the lift kept a 22' Rinker on it. had to weigh the same as mine.
Manufacturer if this lift is Out of biz..(were local) not good stories when you mention the brand to local marinas..

It will ride again. just not with my boat under it!

jmvotto
06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Looks like a sat/sunday tool party at Brad's:rolleyes:

Glad you were able to find one quick.

04OUTBACK
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
got a dozen Yuengling Lights waiting!

jmvotto
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Love to, but girls have a Dance recital friday night and saturday. no lake time this weekend:(

maxpower220
06-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Since you already know how lifts work, it shouldn't take long to assemble. I did mine with a buddy in about 5 hours, and I didn't know anything about lifts.

04OUTBACK
06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
assembled and in the water.. BUT, I dont think the bunks are high enough to clear the center tracking fins or the prop/shaft at back.. gonna call mfgr tomorrow to discuss..

papou
06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
the craftlander ski boat bunks are 155`00 $
i`m going to order my lift on monday 4500LB with canopy saving 3 grand at my door (in canada)

maxpower220
06-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I bought some aluminum 3"x3" tubing and made a beam support for the bunks. It helped raise the boat enough to get the skegs over. The prop/rudder would hit if I went too far forward though.
Pic attached is just for reference.

jmvotto
06-06-2010, 08:20 PM
assembled and in the water.. BUT, I dont think the bunks are high enough to clear the center tracking fins or the prop/shaft at back.. gonna call mfgr tomorrow to discuss..

brad, you cant catch a break......

04OUTBACK
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Talked to Mfg today. They are shipping me the taller brackets. marina where I bought the lift doesn't do much/anything with inboards... so he "ASSUMED".. didn't even know the mfg made this product.
I am travelling this week so If I get them by Fri i am good