PDA

View Full Version : 2001 outback drive shaft leaks.

mnlineman
05-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a 2001 outback with a water leak at the first nut below the transmission on the drive shaft. I was under the impression my boat has a dripless seal, and was about to order one at SKIDIM, but read on here some newer boats have a packing box. How will I know the difference? how do I remove the shaft? Does anybody know where to get a how to/repair manual for inboards? I would also like to replace the strut bushings-do I need to remove the shaft? how does it come off the transmission?

asil210
06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
you probably need to repack or adjust the the shaft nut or replace with new packing. I just did this on my 200 Mobius and it is very easy. find out what size packing you need (i have a 1 inch shaft and used 1/4" packing). you do not need to remove the shaft at all....the "packing box" is a solid brass nut about 1-1..5 inches deep that you put packing in. there is a product you might want to look into. See what you think...
http://www.gfopacking.com/?gclid=CMz887_ygaICFRUhnAodOVXmEQ

adjust:
try adjusting the packing nut.
First loosen the lock nut and then try tightening the packing nut...Hand tighten only to your boats specifications 15-45 sec. drip rate probably.

Replace:
loosen the packing nut & lock nut and remove old packing (use a screw to screw into it and then pull it out - was a great tip i learned from here).

Cut new shaft wrap to diameter of shaft. you will need 2 or 3 pieces.

wrap packing around shaft and push into packing nut (use a screwdriver). hand tighen to push packing into nut. put 2nd piece on so that the seam is 180 deg. from where the first seam is. tighten nut to pack it (ONLY HAND TIGHTEN!!!!) then screw lock nut to packing nut.

To finish the job you must have the boat in the water and adjust the "drip rate"....you want 1 drop of water to fall about every 30 seconds. My Moomba says the drip rate is 1 drop every 15-30 sec. for cooling keeping the packing cooled. Check to see what your drip rate is (it is in your owners book).

VERY easy did it the fist time a week ago it is perfect now.

viking
06-15-2010, 11:58 PM
I started the boat today in the driveway with the fake-a-lake plunger and notices a stream of water coming from my driveshaft? I don't think this is normal since I double checked and my 07 came with the dripless shaft seal?

Any ideas? I've got 2 major boating trips planned starting next wednesday and really want to get on the water?

Cutrirm
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
For anyone that has had a problem finding tools for the packing nut and jam nut or just want a cheaper option then buying or cutting regular wrenches check out my new thread. I had some custom made to fit.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=15490

sybrmike
06-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Sound like you've got a dripless mechanical seal. Most have a water line tee'd into an exhaust manifold cooling hose. This seal line flushes the back side of the mechanical seal to keep air pockets from forming at planing speed which could cause the seal to heat up.

So on a fake-a-lake, perfectly normal to have water exiting the bottom of the hull at the driveshaft.