PDA

View Full Version : Temp. Overheating

BLKOUTLS
05-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Summerization went great on the driveway. ran aprox 25 minutes all told. Dropped it it today and temp started to climb past 200. Replaced both impellar and tstat and still going up. checked the new tstat in a pot and its opening. got another tstat and installed this and still shooting up. Finally pulled the tstat and running without and temp is at 135 not ideal but wont kill the weekend. Any one with a great idea. 02 outback ls carb. thanks

viking
05-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Was the impeller veins all there? If not they might be plugging your lines. Pull the upper hose off and see if you can retreived any rubber peices?

BLKOUTLS
05-30-2010, 08:53 PM
viking thanks the old impellar looked like the new one perfect. I replace them every season. I also pulled the hoses and checked both incoming and outgoing from the impellar
as well as the water pump. I am begining to think my tempature sending unit may be the culprit. My only reasoning is that the temp would do a quick flucutation back down as if almost a false temp reading. Anybody have a temp sensor issue?

zabooda
05-31-2010, 03:46 PM
You may have a bad power connection either the ground or positive wiring. Any other guages acting up as I think they all use the same power source.

BLKOUTLS
05-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Ding Ding we have a winner. zabooda you got it. After a very long night thinking about it I was able to start fresh this mourning. I replaced all gaskets and tstat again and the impellar . Checked the incoming and broke out the air compressor. Blew air through the intake to double check and make sure it was completely clear. Next was open each peacock on each side and blew air in each side. I left the tstat and cover off to check water and for particles. All good to go. still showed hot on the gauge. Guys the best tool to have is a thermal scan tool if you dont have one get one. I called a buddy and he brought his over and we were able to check temps on the block,risers,water pump,temp sensor you name it and none showed any elevated temp. About every 30 seconds the gas gauge would do a little blip as dependable as these are I never take much stock in it or its activity. At idol the tach was rock solid except for a momentary blip of about 100 rpm every so often of course how often are we at idol and looking at the tach as opposed to everything else. This was the clue. I started at the dual batteries and went through every wire and harness,ground location and feed cleaned a treated all of them. Turns out it was the connection at the volt gauge which had a nut to compress on the bar as well as one for the feed connector, It had move slightly away and would only make contact when you pushed just right. We at least all my connectors are spotless now. Guys sorry for the length of the post, I hope it can help someone in the future.

buzcoats
06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the thread. I've had the exact same problem. Changing Tstats and looking for blockage, etc. Looks like I'm going to be checking the electrical stuff.