PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most economical speed to cruise?

bzubke1
05-30-2010, 02:27 PM
We live on a pretty big lake so every once in a while we have to travel a ways to find some calm water. Right now i try and cruise at 20-23 with the wakeplate all the way down. What is the best way to get to your spot without using too much fuel to get there?

zabooda
05-30-2010, 03:31 PM
About 25 mph and if I had a trim plate it would be up. You need to minimize drag.

Mikey
05-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree , about 25mph and wakeplate up.

jeffrogge
05-30-2010, 07:36 PM
if you play with the wake plate a little while cruising start with it up and lower it a little your boat will gain speed without adjusting the throttle, less drag.

maxpower220
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM
It will depend on your boat and how it is loaded. You will need to adjust the wake plate while driving different speed to tell when the speed vs rpm is the greatest.

Razzman
05-30-2010, 11:12 PM
If you run with the plate up at speed your sticking your nose right up in the air and possibly allowing the boat to porpoise, especially on a big open lake. For me I've found the most economical is with the plate down slightly past center and it's just enough to stop porpoising, smooth and seems to burn at a decent rate @ 25 mph or so.

05-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I agree with Razzman, plate all the way up is toomuch for my XLV. For top speed, it's usually about half but for cruising to a riding spot it's 3/4 or all the way down most of the time.

zabooda
05-31-2010, 02:41 AM
I get it now. I didn't realize the plate keeps the nose down on the V drives. Would that also apply to DDs?

moombabound
05-31-2010, 11:56 AM
You can observe the improvement easily. Pick a speed, say 30 MPH, with the plate fully down. Then raise the plate and you'll pick up several MPH due to reduced drag.
Based on the notion that boats are not designed with a wake plate, I usually go full up for cruising, and apply it downward to halt any porpoising. Compared to a couple of other brands I've cruised with, my Outback V will porpoise like crazy on rough water.

Mikey
05-31-2010, 08:41 PM
I agree with the above comments about using the plate at speed but i thought this was about the most ecconomical cruise speed etc. Therefore wide open is not the most ecconomical,and at midspeed porpoising shouldn't be an issue? I have a DD so really i could run with or without with only slight difference anyways. My plate usually comes more into play trying to create drag for wakeboarding etc.

Razzman
05-31-2010, 08:44 PM
I agree with the above comments about using the plate at speed but i thought this was about the most ecconomical cruise speed etc. Therefore wide open is not the most ecconomical,and at midspeed porpoising shouldn't be an issue? I have a DD so really i could run with or without with only slight difference anyways. My plate usually comes more into play trying to create drag for wakeboarding etc.

On a Vdrive at mid speed porpoising is a reality so using the plate is a must. Remember on a V the engine weight is all the way to the rear.

jmvotto
05-31-2010, 10:13 PM
22 mph with wake plate 3/4 to full down.

my .02