PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding Is Expensive

rmckenney
05-28-2010, 10:22 AM
We all know why we bought a Moomba: More boat for less money! Makes perfect sense. What I think we tend to forget (including myself) is that for most people, wakeboarding and waterskiing is damn expensive. In an interview with Wakeboarding Magazine, Southern California rider Randall Harris (West Coast Riders) discussed the dramatic drop off in riding in California. Nobody has the money any more. Think of the investment: Boat, tow vehicle, fuel, boards, ropes, life jackets, boat necessities such as fenders and throw floats, and for many lakes in California – launch fees. This adds up quick, and for the common rider, is outside of their budget.

My wife and I are very lucky that at age 28, we’ve both have good careers and a passion for the sport. We don’t expect to ride like the pros, or feel the pressure to spend $100,000 on a top of the line wakeboat…which for all practical purposes, does the same thing my Moomba does, but sometimes we take for granted how lucky we are to have a tournament boat from a reputable builder and are able to cruise to the lake with a full tank of gas and all of our toys in the racks. Any of you who feel like you don’t have enough, go to wakeboarder.com. Some of those guys are on shoe string budgets by trying to piece together a 90’s era Bayliner with a universal tower to get some descent wake. I applaud these guys. These guys have passion for the sport – they’ll ride anything to get their stoke and if it were me, I would do the same thing.

kaneboats
05-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I won't go out unless it's for a full day. It's not worth the truck fuel, travel time (40 min each way) clean-up time, etc. I can't afford to go for an hour.

Paul W
05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes I would agree with the above. This sport is costly and the fuel, if you ride a lot, starts to hurt. I'm very thankful that we live in a great country this Memorial Day weekend and that we have the toys to have a great time on the water. I think a glass run early in the morning is one of the ways you can get a little closer to heaven this side of eternity.

I bought an Xstar at a great deal on a year-end close out. So even though it seems like a costly boat you can keep your costs down if you shop. If I had to pay the HUGE price tag that there asking for them it would of been way out of my price range.
I have a bud that has a Moomba and when we have been out on his boat I have been more than satisfied, and I like his ski wake WAY beter than mine.

you da man
05-28-2010, 11:57 AM
I understand where you are coming from. I work in law enforcement so I'm no "baller" that's for sure. However, I made some wise stockmarket investments in the fall of 2008 when the market took a bad dump when the banks folded. I had never dabbled in the stockmarket until then so I was not trying to recover losses, everything was a gain. I was able to get a 15x return in a 7 month period on one of my investments and a 6x return on another. I was able to pay off my house which of course the major bill for most of us and have a nice nest egg to play. I was also able to put 50% down on my boat and then paid it off in a few months later with another sell off on stocks. Had it not been for this, I don't think I could have afforded a new Moomba, mortgage, and 2007 Dodge diesel truck payment...plus I'm not married so no one to split the bills. If people are trying to get into a new wakeboat plus have to get a tow vehicle, that is very expensive especially since most of Moomba owners don't have the excess income like the Malibu, CC, and Mastercraft guys often do. I'm getting frugal in my age (a whole 38yrs old) so I pieced together my 3 wakeboards on ebay or Boardersbestbuy or Boardersmall for about 1/3 of retail. Wakesurf boards were bought at about 60% retail after contacting the manufacturer and asking for new, leftover year models still on hand. Gas for the boat is a major expense, however, I have 4 weekly regulars who pitch in about $10-$15 each for each day on the water. I don't ask, they offer. Plus they buy my Gatorade, water, ice, and chips. Cleaning chemicals get expensive when you see how much you go through depending on often you go out. Plus I have a very nice enclosed storage unit to keep my boat and gear safe and dry. I also applaud those individuals and couples who are just "regular" people with modest incomes who will budget a boat, fuel, and upkeep expenses.

Jeff W
05-28-2010, 12:19 PM
We all know why we bought a Moomba: More boat for less money! Makes perfect sense. What I think we tend to forget (including myself) is that for most people, wakeboarding and waterskiing is damn expensive. In an interview with Wakeboarding Magazine, Southern California rider Randall Harris (West Coast Riders) discussed the dramatic drop off in riding in California. Nobody has the money any more. Think of the investment: Boat, tow vehicle, fuel, boards, ropes, life jackets, boat necessities such as fenders and throw floats, and for many lakes in California – launch fees. This adds up quick, and for the common rider, is outside of their budget.

My wife and I are very lucky that at age 28, we’ve both have good careers and a passion for the sport. We don’t expect to ride like the pros, or feel the pressure to spend $100,000 on a top of the line wakeboat…which for all practical purposes, does the same thing my Moomba does, but sometimes we take for granted how lucky we are to have a tournament boat from a reputable builder and are able to cruise to the lake with a full tank of gas and all of our toys in the racks. Any of you who feel like you don’t have enough, go to wakeboarder.com. Some of those guys are on shoe string budgets by trying to piece together a 90’s era Bayliner with a universal tower to get some descent wake. I applaud these guys. These guys have passion for the sport – they’ll ride anything to get their stoke and if it were me, I would do the same thing.

I cry when I think about how much it costs me.

Do this. Calculate your boat payment, the gas for your boat, a rough estimate of gas for your tow vehicle when towing, new gear/boards/stereos, boat insurance and the cost of your slip/cabin/launch fees.

Then - divide that by how many HOURS you put on your boat each year. The number is STAGGERING. Last time I calculated it - it was somewhere around $110 an hour for me to be out. Granted - there are certainly a lot of hours when I'm on the lake but just floating around (not racking up boat hours). But cost per hour moving is absolutely insane.

You gotta LOVE it.

Good thing I do. ;)

moombadaze
05-28-2010, 01:26 PM
The number is STAGGERING. Last time I calculated it - it was somewhere around $110 an hour for me to be out.

time with family and friends--not priceless, just about $110 hour-:mad:

kaneboats
05-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Do this. Calculate your boat payment, the gas for your boat, a rough estimate of gas for your tow vehicle when towing, new gear/boards/stereos, boat insurance and the cost of your slip/cabin/launch fees.

Then - divide that by how many HOURS you put on your boat each year. The number is STAGGERING. Last time I calculated it - it was somewhere around $110 an hour for me to be out. Good thing I do. ;)

Sounds like a bargain to me for what you get. Compare it to golf, racecars, etc. I guess playing tennis is cheaper. So's going for a hike or a run. But not nearly as much fun.

you da man
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a bargain to me for what you get. Compare it to golf, racecars, etc. I guess playing tennis is cheaper. So's going for a hike or a run. But not nearly as much fun.

I recently stopped road racing sportbikes and that was costing me easily $700-$800 per day and I only did it once a month. I can wakeboard/wakesurf 10 days a month for that.

aook23
05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
This is one of the coolest threads I have read on a Fourm in a long time ,

The meaning of Moomba to me is pretty much my only chance of getting this opportunity thus far in my life, Im only 23 and have been really fortunate on the way things work out for me ... don't get me wrong I bust my a$$ for every thing I have, but I was that guy with the bayliner and the pylon (no joke ) !! lolol
And loved every minute of it , me and a buddy just bought the 05 XLV that had been repo'd and had no stereo and was really dirty, I made on the boat as is and we got lucky to get it ! Now we have the boat in almost showroom condition and awesome stereo !:) I don't even wanna think about the money spent ( truck , boat , fuel, boards.. so on and so on) but all in all I think the second I am behind the wheel or just getting ready to pull out of the water .. all that comes to mind is nothing ! And in out hellish speed in the world today the is not to much that makes your mind go blank and just puts a smile on your face,,, no thoughts of cost, time, or worries...

Moomba = simplistic bliss

jester
05-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Ok now that is funny.

One thing you are not taking into account is the time you spend with the Moomba family on the forums. Think about how many hours a day you spend reading and posting. Now think of if you are paid by the hour how much more you would be making well unless you are doing this at work :roll:

phospher
05-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, it's very expensive and these boats are getting so expensive that they are pricing themselves right out of their own market. I'm very happy that I own a "more affordable" Moomba, not a day goes by that I regret spending 20k less than if I were to buy one of the big 3. I don't take it for granted, have worked hard, and am very happy that my wife and I are able to afford everything that we have. My only hope is that we can some how get to a point in our life time where more of the "average joe's" can afford this stuff too. There's not enough room for everyone to be at the top...

T_M
05-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Greetings. New to this forum. Just lake tested a new 09 LSV this morning. I'm selling my 06 Stingray 230 lx to "move up" to the Moomba. I'm adding about $20K to my cost structure by buying the LSV, but getting SO MUCH more use and entertainment out of it. With four kids and a demanding job, we don't go on vacation much if at all. But since all my kids (me included) like to wake board, ski and surf we can take a dozens of mini-vacations to the lake every summer. When I think of it in those terms, the money issue doesn't bother me much. Plus the mental health I gain from a day on the water keeps my psychiatric bills down.

Tom

moombadaze
05-28-2010, 05:15 PM
we can take a dozens of mini-vacations to the lake every summer. When I think of it in those terms, the money issue doesn't bother me much. Plus the mental health I gain from a day on the water keeps my psychiatric bills down.

Tom

I get the same vacation feeling every sunday we get out

oh and its worth every penny-just wish I could see those friends more often

jimmobius
05-28-2010, 09:05 PM
I am on my 4th boat, this one has been the best so far. I do miss my runabout now and then , I had it 10 years and it did the job. I paid for it in about a year , so it didn't cost so much to keep on the water. The problem here in metro Denver is the lakes. You have to have a lake pass to a lake that is not open to the public so there is not so much traffic and you get some kind of semi smooth water. Now lake passes don't come cheap either, anywhere from $850 up to $5k for local " private lakes" here. That is the main reason I do a lake pass , the lake is 20 minutes from my house. I can be at the ramp from my driveway in about that time. Insurance, fuel, the payment on the boat, water sports gear, and a way to pull the boat , it all ads up . I am fortunate to be able to afford to keep doing this, as long as my body can !!
Jim.

moombabound
05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Rolling back the clock, I never dreamed there'd be a day I'd drop so much dough on a boat. But took out a loan, bought the boat, paid it off...yada yada. My friend felt the same. After chatting with us after we bought ours, he took the plunge also. He, as with the thread author, is also in law enforcement, thus has seen many sides of society. He has mentioned a few times, that expensive though it is, it is a bargain to have your kids spend time with their parents, knowing where they are, what they are doing, and that they're doing fun, healthy, safe activities. I often remind myself of that when I'm filling the jerrycans at the local pump! Kids or no kids, there are worse ways to part with your hard earned money.

kaneboats
05-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Great points fellas. Spend time with the kids. It pays off. A few hundred on gas, etc., so what? But, what does it cost to bail a kid out of jail? Pay a defense attorney? You know what I mean. The ones that grow up having good clean fun and bringing friends along don't get in nearly as much trouble. The Moombatime is more like an investment.

wolfeman131
05-28-2010, 10:50 PM
we went all in - lake house, boat, jetski, etc. - a few years ago after my friend's 13 year old nephew decided to have his 13th birthday party with his buddies at his grandpa's lake house. he wanted to show off the Moomba and have a great time.

I know I wouldn't have had my 13th birthday party at my grandparents! I'm with all of you that say the family time and knowing what your kiddos are up to is worth every penny.

DOCDRS
05-29-2010, 07:42 PM
every time i got to the pump and buy about $250 in gas people always tell me how expensive it is to run my toys.......i tell them the more gas I buy the more fun we have.....the gas is the cheap part...the laughs, smiles ,exhileration, sore muscles, pee'd off wakehaters, is all priceless

make it happen captain

Northofthe49th
05-30-2010, 01:24 AM
There is no price on joy
Life is too short We do what makes up happy
AND I'm very appreciative/fortunate to do what we Do

Let us all remember we live in the top 5% of the whole world
Ejoy life but be humble and appreciative

brad460
05-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I gave up worrying about what my hobbies cost years ago! :) We consider money spent on enjoying our lives as money well spent. Living in Wisconsin is REALLY expensive! We have a boat for 3 months of the year, then snowmobiles for 3 months a year, motocross bike for in between..with those hobbies of course you have to be "geared up" and they all seem to use a lot of gas.

To put it into perspective....Yesterday on our way home from a full day on the lake we drove past a small group of people playing badminton in their backyard sweating in 86 degree heat..I said to everyone...aren't you glad we have a boat??!!

Just don't live beyond your means...

deerfield
05-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Greetings. New to this forum. Just lake tested a new 09 LSV this morning. I'm selling my 06 Stingray 230 lx to "move up" to the Moomba. I'm adding about $20K to my cost structure by buying the LSV, but getting SO MUCH more use and entertainment out of it. With four kids and a demanding job, we don't go on vacation much if at all. But since all my kids (me included) like to wake board, ski and surf we can take a dozens of mini-vacations to the lake every summer. When I think of it in those terms, the money issue doesn't bother me much. Plus the mental health I gain from a day on the water keeps my psychiatric bills down.

Tom

TM - Glad to have you on the Moomba Forum. Hope you can soon sell the Stingray and close on the LSV. We like pictures. Might even be interesting to see the Stingray. Guys here on the forum come from wide spectrum of boats, backgrounds, and points of view. Make your's known, and welcome to Moomba. - Deerfield

Sled491
05-30-2010, 10:53 PM
You know, I bought our moomba after 10 yrs with our Nitro. We weren't those that say "Oh just had a kid need to sell boat", we were the ones that couldn't wait to share our passion with our kids.

Today my 8 yr old told me he wanted to ski. You think no big deal but the fact of the matter is he has never shown any interest. Keeping in mind his older brother was deep water starting a slalom ski by this time. Now my 8 yr old has been surfing since last season so he's on the water. Well today on his second try he's skiing, all I can say is Wow.

Now watch my 10 yr old and you just shake your head. No he's not going vert, but show me another 10 yr old that skiis slalon in the morning (deep waterstart), surfs both side of the boat, wakeboards, and has just asked to start footin'. OK OK I'll stop braggin about my kids, bottom line is how can I or could I ever put a price on that :)

maxpower220
05-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Sorry, I really don't think it is that expensive. I bought my first boat while I was in college (I was older than most). It was a used boat for about $8000. I already owned a vehicle that could tow. ebay, garage sales, and friend's equipment were how I got through my first 5 years of boating/towing. I was able to pay off the boat, then sell it to "invest" into another boat. I've done that a few times. Fast forward 12 years (and 4 boats) later, and I was able to buy a new boat with little out of pocket expenses.

Getting into the sport doesn't mean a new diesel tow truck, a new XLV, and all of the lastest ski, boards, ropes and vests. It took me several years and I still haven't bought the "latest and greatest" ski, board, etc. One can start with a $5000 boat, $500 of used equipment, and a $5000 tow vehicle. It all works about the same.

BTW, compare your costs with other who have hobbies. Golf? Paintball? Dirtbikes? You have to pay to play.

spoon03
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM
My little piece:
I didn't grow up with a lot of money and I had to work for everything I own. I was fortunate enough to have a cousin that owned boats and in 1987 he bought and inboard Ski Centurion. I fell in love with watersports from then on. I had 2 dreams that I wanted to own in life other than my own house of course. 1 of those was a competition level ski boat. 10 years ago I bought my first boat, but because I couldn't afford a higher end boat such as Moomba or MC, it was a Mariah Diablo runabout with a 4.3L V-6. (I was in Army Special Operations for 12 years, not real big pay) After 10 years of being drug, and I mean drug a lot for a deep water start behind my first boat, I was finally able to buy my first comp level boat at age 39 and recognize one of my dreams. The difference is absolutely incredible. Was the boat costly, yes of course. Is it costly to own this type of boat with all of the toys that go along with it, again, of course. I work in South America in drug eradication and gone from home for 2 weeks out of the month. When I talk to my 7 yo little girl on the phone and she asks me when I get home can we go and practice skiing and wakesurfing, that is priceless. It's worth every penny in the world to spend time with her and my wife on the water and to see her enthusiam for watersports the way I fell in love with them. And, I feel proud that I can provide her with the boat and toys to live the same dream that I had at an early age.
To all the boat lover's out there with bowriders that share the love. I'm proud to be on the water with them.

sailing217
06-01-2010, 09:46 AM
People always ask "should I save up for a nice tourney boat like yours or buy this fixer-upper". I always reply "just get on the water and have a good time". Don't stretch to have the best, it's about being on the water having fun.

I gave up my individual sports like Golf so we could do a family sport. Everything is expensive so spending it as a family makes it worth that much more.

Paid for the boat with hard cash so I don't get that ill feeling when it's snowing outside about $$.

kaneboats
06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
My little piece:
I didn't grow up with a lot of money and I had to work for everything I own. I was fortunate enough to have a cousin that owned boats and in 1987 he bought and inboard Ski Centurion. I fell in love with watersports from then on. I had 2 dreams that I wanted to own in life other than my own house of course. 1 of those was a competition level ski boat. 10 years ago I bought my first boat, but because I couldn't afford a higher end boat such as Moomba or MC, it was a Mariah Diablo runabout with a 4.3L V-6. (I was in Army Special Operations for 12 years, not real big pay) After 10 years of being drug, and I mean drug a lot for a deep water start behind my first boat, I was finally able to buy my first comp level boat at age 39 and recognize one of my dreams. The difference is absolutely incredible. Was the boat costly, yes of course. Is it costly to own this type of boat with all of the toys that go along with it, again, of course. I work in South America in drug eradication and gone from home for 2 weeks out of the month. When I talk to my 7 yo little girl on the phone and she asks me when I get home can we go and practice skiing and wakesurfing, that is priceless. It's worth every penny in the world to spend time with her and my wife on the water and to see her enthusiam for watersports the way I fell in love with them. And, I feel proud that I can provide her with the boat and toys to live the same dream that I had at an early age.
To all the boat lover's out there with bowriders that share the love. I'm proud to be on the water with them.

You sound like our kind of people. You'll have to come hang out with Moombadaze, EdG and me some time. You're not too far away. Please watch for info on her about the 3rd Annual Flint River Mini-Jam. We'd love to meet you and the family.

T_M
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
TM - Glad to have you on the Moomba Forum. Hope you can soon sell the Stingray and close on the LSV. We like pictures. Might even be interesting to see the Stingray. Guys here on the forum come from wide spectrum of boats, backgrounds, and points of view. Make your's known, and welcome to Moomba. - Deerfield

Thanks for making me feel welcome. Here's a pic of my Stingray. It was my second boat. Loved it. But the rush of doing 60+ in that boat, didn't compare to the rush of riding the wake or surf board behind my buddy's Centurian. I shopped around and found the Moomba LSV to be the right boat for me. Also attached is the Moomba I'm hoping to close on this week.

spoon03
06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Kaneboats,
Thanks for the kind words. With the summer approaching fast (my wife is a school teacher). We will have a lot more time to travel and meet new people. I would love to meet you guys too. And, you live in the home of my favorite team (I know I'll hear it from some about this), the Seminoles. My little girl loves them too.

kaneboats
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for making me feel welcome. Here's a pic of my Stingray. It was my second boat. Loved it. But the rush of doing 60+ in that boat, didn't compare to the rush of riding the wake or surf board behind my buddy's Centurian. I shopped around and found the Moomba LSV to be the right boat for me. Also attached is the Moomba I'm hoping to close on this week.

Looks great. You'll love it!

kaneboats
06-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Kaneboats,
Thanks for the kind words. With the summer approaching fast (my wife is a school teacher). We will have a lot more time to travel and meet new people. I would love to meet you guys too. And, you live in the home of my favorite team (I know I'll hear it from some about this), the Seminoles. My little girl loves them too.

Have to admit I'm not the biggest FSU fan but my younger brother is. He spent 7 years in school here and grew roots here. I just came for the better weather. Looking forward to boating with you.

moombadaze
06-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I shopped around and found the Moomba LSV to be the right boat for me. Also attached is the Moomba I'm hoping to close on this week.

the LSV is a great boat and the one your looking at looks awsum

brad460
06-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Sweet looking boat! I remember the day we picked up our boat, what a great feeling. It took me almost two years to find the Moomba LSV in blue at the price range we wanted, but it was worth the wait!

walb0244
06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
This is a good forum to get to read. I grew up just getting teased off and on through out my life with being on the water. My grand parents owned a boat for a year or two then sold it. Then my dad owned a boat for a year or two then sold it. I was hooked from the vary first time on the water but just didn't always have the boat. Once I got older I decided that I was going to get a boat. When me and my wife got together I wanted a boat and she wanted to find a house. (Guess I had my prorities wrong) I tried and compromise with her to get a house boat but that was a no go. Now we own a house and a boat. I feel vary fortunate to own a my Moomba. The first boat I had we paid 4,000 for and I had to split that with my father-n-law to get it. But now I am paying on my Moomba. My wife had never been around water much so pushing a 20,000 boat wasn't a easy sell by any means. The first time I took my wife out on a boat it was on my mom's boat. Five of us spent all day on the water and the fuel cost was like 70 bucks to fill up the boat. My wife about flipped out and said boating was expensive. My response was try and take 4 of your family to the movies and see how much it costs. And that only last 3 hours tops. And I love spending time with my family and getting them all active.

kaneboats
06-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Glad to hear it Walb. This is where the real fun is. They all come around eventually. Have fun!