PDA

View Full Version : unreasonable fear of flying seats?

skiyaker
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
we've had lots of discussion regarding the benefits of towing open vs covered and what covers to use etc... for me this will soon be a moot issue as my evolution cover is in transit. But it won't be here in time for this weekend which leads me to the question- is it an unreasonable fear to think that seats could blow out of my 2008 OBV at highway speeds? The logical side of me says A) the seats are tucked in pretty well and B) they don't "see" that much wind. But the worry wart side of me pictures a seat blowing out and causing a multi-car pileup on I-69. I could pull all the seats out and store them in the V drive compartment- but I need those compartments to hold all my gear on the way to the lake.

I see that some of you have added hinges to prevent this problem, but has anyone ever seen or heard of a seat actually blowing out of the boat?

Razzman
05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I've heard of seats blowing out "a boat" but not a Moomba. I tow all over at highway speeds averaging 65 and have never had a cushion even move. Last weekend was bad with winds up to 22-25mph, again nothing moved. If anything was going to move it would be the cooler pad or the one behind the drivers seat imo.

lancesaville
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
2nd that, I've towed from the shop to storage on the interstate quite a few times and still haven't lost even the cooler seat yet. Just make sure all the seat tops are pushed on properly and you should be fine short of tornado weather :)

Ian Brantford
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I just stow the one seat that has a gap under it where turbulence could pick it up. That's the XLV's double-duty seat (side bench in the optional cooler's spot, stadium seatback). The others are quite secure.

... and I never even did this for the first couple of years. It never budged.

moombadaze
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
ok, my 03 lsv--the bench seat over the vdrive cover would start to float in mid air around 65mph-I could see it in the rear view mirror of my truck-the new owners had it blow all the way out at 70mph on the freeway, they got it back after running back on the freeway to retrive it. It was banged up but the structure was still ok.

Now on my 08 lsv Ive had the seat cushion (behind the driver) lift up and come off the seat base-found it in the middle of the boat when I stopped for gas. I was doing about 80mph that time.

I took and velcro'd the seat cushions down-Takes some force to lift them up, I did have to staple the velcro to the bottom of the seat cushion as it would not stick.

So yes the cushions can blow out :mad:

But now I have the Evolution towing cover and dont worry about it

Razzman
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM

At 80mph ya think? :p :p

ian ashton
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
The cushions in my OB DD never move, but I usually tow with the bow cover on, and main cover off.

viking
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I towed all last summer uncovered and YES I have a lead foot and 80mph was not uncommon. However, no problems with seats growing wings thankfully :)

brain_rinse
05-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I put double piano hinges on the cooler seat and the one behind the driver. Most of the reason was convenience but an unreasonable fear of flying seats helped sell me on the decision.

maxpower220
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I have several thousand miles of towing boats at highway speeds (70 mph) with no lost cushions. However, it wouldn't be unlikely for it to happen. Your tow vehicle shape and boat shape will determine the wind patterns. Also, passing traffic (think semi trucks) can affect wind patterns that may provide a low pressure point above your cushions causing them to elevate out of your boat.

Ian Brantford
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Those who had cushions move: did you do anything to block airflow through the bow? I use my XLV's pop-up bow seat to block most of it. I also tried using my bow cover once, but the nasty deformation that I saw in the mirror at modest speeds made me stop and remove it.

Jeff W
05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I tow on the freeway all the time.

Don't sweat it. It's a non-issue.

kaneboats
05-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I store the one behind the driver's seat in the rear locker. None of the rest of them can really move.

sandm
05-28-2010, 04:32 PM
towed at 75 for 3 years and no issues yet.
as mentioned above, the truck and the windshield of the boat do a good job at keeping the air flowing around the boat.

gregski
04-08-2014, 11:38 PM
ok, my 03 lsv--the bench seat over the vdrive cover would start to float in mid air around 65mph-I could see it in the rear view mirror of my truck
<snip>
I too have seen the V-drive seat floating in mid-air. I just slide that seat up into the walkway to the bow with the open side up (on it's side/face) and it stays put there. All of my other cushions have stayed in place fine.

Woody929
04-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Nice thread revival! :-)

sandm
04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
somebody PWI....

rdlangston13
04-09-2014, 08:13 AM
When I was buying my boat I had the cooler seat cushion fly out on the way back from the test drive. We were able to back track and find it but it tore up the corners pretty good. I then added velco to the bottom of that seat as well as the one behind the drivers seat to hold them down. I was driving one other time after that and I guess the cooler seat was not strapped down good because it was levitating in the middle of the boat at around 65-70 mph.

mmandley
04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
This has become more of a problem now then it used to. With the new boats Mojo and Mondo and redo of the LSV the seats don't fit as tight.

Mojo rear seat is locked in by the grab handles, but all the other seats are loose and can come off easily.

The new Mondo with it's center rear removable seat is an easy candidate for flying seats.

I generally tow to my local water spots with no worry. Anytime I go longer distance or on the interstate I use my Evolution cover.

Shameless plug warning---this is why I got my evolution cover, so I can tow and bit worry about my interior. Also in OR rain can show up on short notice. Lastly I can put gear in the boat. and not worry about it

Cody
04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
When I had my Outback, I used Velcro under my seats to hold them down for this reason. Granted, mine was an 02' and I'm sure the newer boats cushions are my plush and snug.

Velcro was an easy fix for me.

parrothd
04-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Maybe not boat seats, but I store tons of stuff(boards, wetsuits, towels, coolers, beer) in the boat for transport, all of which can fly out.. :)

marman
04-15-2014, 10:27 PM
I recently installed a couple of extra straps to hold down the two rear side seats in my mondo. They kept floating up since the factory straps allowed this. I only noticed this when I towed with my f150 that has a tonneau cover. I think it pushes air nicely over the back of the truck directly through the walkway.

JeffCook3
04-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Just had a friend who bought a 2013 Mojo and towered it from Dothan to Guntersville, lost his passenger seat in route. $150 bucks to replace. Not sure if he checked at the seat placement or not.

mcdye
04-16-2014, 08:20 AM
I recently installed a couple of extra straps to hold down the two rear side seats in my mondo. They kept floating up since the factory straps allowed this. I only noticed this when I towed with my f150 that has a tonneau cover. I think it pushes air nicely over the back of the truck directly through the walkway.

I towed a Mondo for my dealer, and noticed the same thing, the 2 rear corner floating seats. IMO they should have another strap OR did similar to the center cushion adding a back lip to it. I have no bed cover on a '08 CrewCab z71.

patrick232
04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Could it be from the pressure building from in intakes just below the window? I have thought about adding foam to that area like the have for race cars.

sivs1
05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
So just traveled about 16 miles uncovered on Saturday. Left the lake and hit 80 on the highway, no issues what so ever. I also have an all new interior so the seats fit tight.

yz 2smoke
05-05-2014, 04:02 PM
I've had my rear bench seat flip upside down. It's happened twice now but it only seems to happen when I split 2 tractor trailers.

Sharpshooter
05-05-2014, 05:45 PM
I towed mine home yesterday without the cover for the first time, I just put all the small seats inside the lockers and a couple in my backseat of the truck, I had no problems with my bench seat trying to come out

uniwarking
05-05-2014, 06:10 PM
I've only had it happen once, so far. The seat behind the driver seat lifted out of position and luckily just ended up on the floor of the boat... I got lucky.

Rakkasan
05-05-2014, 06:44 PM
I drive 55 miles to the lake each way and have never had a seat come up. The only thing I have moved is the seat back on the observers side but it's on a hinge.

Klos
05-05-2014, 07:49 PM
I tow mine around 90 miles to the lake and I've ran between 70mph and 80mph and haven't had a problem.

uniwarking
05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
So it sounds like its happens at some frequency... Tow without a cover at your own risk. I still do but I'm afraid I'll lose one every time... Wish I had a travel cover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yz 2smoke
06-15-2014, 01:03 PM
I will be buying a travel cover now. I lost the rear bench seat last night on the way home from lake martin. I've had it flip upside down before. It was dark on the way home so I didn't notice it until this morning. I hope I can get a new one before the week of the 4th. I have a bunch of family camping that week. I'm sure it will cost and arm and a leg.

parrothd
06-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Check eBay or have it made..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

detipton
06-15-2014, 08:36 PM
I've had my Moomba for about 1.5 years now and always tow without a cover since I only have the original Moomba cover. I live in Tucson so the nearest lake is 150 miles away. I never had an issue until the my last trip when I was passing a slow prius at 70mph's and I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the back bench of the 07 LSV floating in the air and I had just made it past the crawling prius. Did I mention that this was on a two lane hwy. Pucker factor kicked in so I finished passing them and then pulled over when I could. They must of been think what a "pr**k". I did not want to buy a prius windshield. So last week I ordered a cover from Cory at Evolution Covers so I can pull the boat with a cover not worry about seats flying or damage to the gel coat. I pulled the boat to powell twice which is 500 miles each way with no problems.

yz 2smoke
06-16-2014, 12:15 PM
I will order a cover at the end of the season. I will put all my seats in my truck or boat compartments. I called Atlanta Marine and they ordered a new seat for me. The cost was not as bad as I thought it would be ($302) the bad part is it will be 4-8 weeks for me to get it. It will take even longer if they keep getting boat orders so I may not even get it before the season is up.

So keep your seats secure. I tow and hour and 45 minutes each way every weekend since 2011 and I have not lost a seat until now. So it can happen if the circumstances are right

kaneboats
06-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Just get some velcro.

moombadaze
06-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Velcro on my last two boats, just in case I tow without the cover, its all about aerodynamics and a little luck

yz 2smoke
06-16-2014, 06:30 PM
I am very nervous now since it takes so long to get a new one, not to mention the accident that I may have caused. I know I passed a pack of street bikes on the way home. I just hope it tumbled to the side of the road and didn't cause a wreck.

Woody929
06-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Just a question, did you use the snap straps on the underside of the bench?

yz 2smoke
06-16-2014, 08:40 PM
My boat doesn't have any snaps for any of the seats. I take it your boat does? I may be mistaken but I think your bench seat is different than mine. I think they changed them for the 12 ' s and up.

Woody929
06-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Maybe so. Mine has about an 8" strap on each side screwed to the bottom of the bench. On the other end of each strap is a snap that snaps to the wall under the bench. Much like the center locker has to keep the locker open when the ballast bag is full.

I was just asking to know if I depend too much on the snaps ;-)

mcdye
06-17-2014, 08:01 AM
On our '10 Lsv, we would take the cushion behind the driver and the cooler cushion and place in the rear locker. did not want to take any chances.

Rakkasan
06-17-2014, 09:15 AM
I always have my Z5 Bimini strapped down in the boat so it pretty much keeps all the seats held down. I have had the one behind the drivers seat pop up but stayed in the boat because of the Bimini.

Ian Brantford
06-17-2014, 09:58 PM
I always have my Z5 Bimini strapped down in the boat so it pretty much keeps all the seats held down.

Do you have a picture of that to share?

Rakkasan
06-18-2014, 12:44 AM

Boats garaged right now but I could probably get one when we head out Sat.

Rakkasan
06-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Here you go. I put a towel on the drivers seat so it won't mess up the vinyl. If a seat pops up it will just hit the Bimini and go back down.

yz 2smoke
06-21-2014, 01:00 PM
I need to see if I can do that with my cargo rack. Thanks for posting the pic

deelan_
06-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Maybe so. Mine has about an 8" strap on each side screwed to the bottom of the bench. On the other end of each strap is a snap that snaps to the wall under the bench. Much like the center locker has to keep the locker open when the ballast bag is full.

I was just asking to know if I depend too much on the snaps ;-)

Did you ever do anything to reinforce that rear bench? I have used industrial Velcro on cooler cover and the compartment on the opposite side. I towed to east Texas this weekend and used my cover going due to heavy rain but didn't on the way home. Before I bought my boat the dealership had it fly out and replaced. It floated around yesterday and made me nervous the whole way home. I want to do something but need ideas..

mmandley
06-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Did you ever do anything to reinforce that rear bench? I have used industrial Velcro on cooler cover and the compartment on the opposite side. I towed to east Texas this weekend and used my cover going due to heavy rain but didn't on the way home. Before I bought my boat the dealership had it fly out and replaced. It floated around yesterday and made me nervous the whole way home. I want to do something but need ideas..

My rear seat has straps with a snap in the little compartments on the sides of the V drive.

Also people have put down Velcro as well.