PDA

View Full Version : Beaching an Inboard

FamilyMatters
05-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I just traded from an outboard Deckboat that we put a bizillion hours on to a 2009 Outback. Once or twice a Summer we get all the extended family out to a Public Park on West point Lake in GA, that has a Beach that we always pulled the old deck boat up on to trade out passengers. Do any of you beach your boats occasionally, if you check the bottom for rocks and stumps, and make sure she's not running when it's close, etc..?????

Thanks for considering!!!

Darren

dusty2221
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't. Not a chance. I'm sure you will have a few that do, but I'd be willing to bet for the most part, most will say NO WAY!

Razzman
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Not unless you want to risk bottom damage or sucking debris into the impeller. I've never beached a boat and never will for those reason besides the fact that it wears the hell out of the gelcoat. I anchor stern to shore at least ten feet out and walk the boat in to a safe depth of no less than three feet for passengers to load. They wanna go, they get wet. :p Or i'll pick them up at a dock.

jester
05-26-2010, 04:41 PM
I am the same as Razz on this one. I have a bungee rope on my ancher line. I tie a rope on the stern and tie this to a tree on shore then pull the boat in when we are loading up and let her float out in deep water when we are on the beach chillin.

jbheuerman
05-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I'll have to agree..I keep a second anchor to tie down the rear of the boat when I want to park it next to the shore. Just not worth damaging it to me.

ian ashton
05-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I haven't beached my boat regularly, but I do dock it in a very shallow boat slip. To avoid any risk to the impeller I'd just shut it off and walk it into the beach. When you are ready to go walk it back out. Right?

viking
05-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I haven't beached my boat regularly, but I do dock it in a very shallow boat slip. To avoid any risk to the impeller I'd just shut it off and walk it into the beach. When you are ready to go walk it back out. Right?

I've done that! I do it so long as everyone is out of the boat while beached. I don't want the boat rocking back and forth while at shore. Otherwise I tether it a few feet out as indicated.

zabooda
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I beach when letting people out but I catch the boat first and walk it in and sometimes I beach a boat when there are no waves, rocks, wind or boats. I turn the boat around to get the sounds and when there is wave action. Some places you have no choice as the back of the boat may be eight feet deep.

maxpower220
05-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I have beached all of my boats. Only at places where I know the bottom is sand. My first boat was beached at least twice per day (to get or put away the truck during launch/retrieval) with no ill effects. Always slowly and then I used forward throttle to "dig a hole" for the prop.
This does put a lot of debris into the water, so you must check your impeller often (though I never had an issue with that either).

Razzman
05-26-2010, 07:53 PM
The back of the boat may be eight feet deep.

Then they swim! :p

Razzman
05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Only at places where I know the bottom is sand.

That's the diff between west coaters and easterners, we don't have sand shorelines at any of the lakes we frequent! Just rocks! :mad: Here's a couple shots of our favorite lake when it dropped to 19% of capacity. We drove out to see for ourselves.

Razzman
05-26-2010, 08:30 PM
I have a bungee rope on my ancher line.

Yup, Anchor Buddy, i've used 'em for years now. Throw the anchor out, attach the bow and attach a shoreline to the stern. Pull the shoreline to bring in the boat, load and go. Works like a charm.

jeffrogge
05-26-2010, 09:42 PM
I do the same as Razz (hence our pictures being almost the exact same). It is sad to see people beach there boat. It you have a dark colored hull it is going to scratch like crazy. just back it in.

Razz does the anchor buddy work against waves/wind?

KT Mobius
05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
I use to beach my I/O and after I saw what it did to the hull, never again. The sand acts like sanpaper and completely scuffs the bottom.

Razzman
05-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Razz does the anchor buddy work against waves/wind?

As long as your anchor sets good it works very well in all conditions. If the anchor doesn't then the bungees effect will drag the anchor.

FamilyMatters
05-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Great and Interesting Comments and response!!! Thanks for the Input!!!

Darren

Sled491
05-26-2010, 10:51 PM
You know this whole scratches the bottom of your boat thing cracks me up. When I owned fast boats some in the 90+ range I worried about how smooth the bottom of my boat was, but with a tow boat why? You can't get to it to wax it you can't see it when it's in the water, you can't show it off to everyone, what's the big deal.

My boat sits on a lift all summer, gets put on its trailer and taken straight to my fiberglass guy for 2 coats of wax while the boat is lifted off the trailer every fall, and the 1st time I ride it back onto my lift in the spring you can see the marks again.

KT Mobius
05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
What about resale? The hull would be one of the first things I would look at. A scuffed/scratched hull = no sale.

rmckenney
05-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Depends on the situation...I choose to enjoy my boat instead of keeping it like a Hot Rod...fact is, boat's deppreciate worse than anything else and to worry about little scratches in the hull is ridiculous. I'm finished worrying about the condition of my "baseball cards." Time to have fun with them! In fact, I just sold my old Tige last week and the buyer said "oh, I see you never beached the boat!" Not exactly: I always beached the damn thing...I just knew how to maintain the boat to keep it looking sweet. Nothing is permanent...

zabooda
05-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Same here. I have more of a problem with sun tan lotion staining the seats than with some scratches. Wear and tear will come whether its the owners or guests mistakes or Bubba's fishing boat banging against the hull. Another difference is I buy old and sell older so having the engine start when I sell is a real selling point not the scratches on the hull.

Sled491
05-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Right guys, if some one on a resale is looking at some scuffs on you keel your gonna have a tough time with that buyer anyways. Now Gouges and deep scrapes above the chime line I would have a problem with, but guess what, those can be repaired easily and don't cost that much to repair.

GeauxTigers
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
You guys are too funny with the scuff mark discussion. I think the junk in the impeller argument is enough for me to keep my boat off the beach. I have beached it several times during the few and far between times that we found a sandy beach. We dropped anchor and tied from the back of the boat to the anchor so the back would not swing around then had someone wade to the shore to tie off on a rock and pulled her to the shore (engine off). When it came time to leave, we pushed off and paddled to a safe area, then cranked and left.

OBV6
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I started out like everyone else and tied off in the water until it started to become a PITA. I bought a KeelGuard/Keel Shield both basically the same thing and put it on my 06 OBV. Since then I rarely tie off and have not experienced any problems as far as hull damage is concerned. I beach on sand, sand/mud mostly. I will say being on the Cumberland River can be a bitch. On average I have seen the depth vary as much as a 6" to a foot in an hour which makes it especially hard trying to unstick the 2 skags from the mud. Just have to pay a little more attention is all.

kaneboats
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I beach the boat. The sand here is nice and soft. The scratches are so fine you could buff them out if you wanted to.

Garn
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
OBV6, do you lose any top speed at all with KeelGuard? Any loss in performance? If not, I just might install that on my boat.

FamilyMatters
05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Great Responses!!!! Thanks for Weighing in!! I'll order a Anchor Buddy!

Peace
Darren

MEDIC151
05-27-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't beach mine unless I am at Ouachita and on then on a submerged tire. The rocks are pretty rough on the hull so thats why I run it up on a tire. Anchor the back and tie off the front to a tree. Now, if we are out at the islands, I anchor up away from the shore. The bottom drops away so fast that debris is not an issue. Hydrilla on the other hand, is a pain. Have to kill the boat and swim under to get it all off the prop.

zabooda
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I made my own Anchor Buddy and have been using it for about 14 years. All it consists of is about 8' of large bungie cord and end connectors.

meech
05-27-2010, 02:13 PM
all about the Anchor Buddy ..... a few pics of how we beach ...

vfrdude
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
+1 for the Anchor Buddie!

viking
05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I might have to invest in an anchor buddy myself. Queston - where are you guys buying your bouy for for the bow side??

meech
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I might have to invest in an anchor buddy myself. Queston - where are you guys buying your bouy for for the bow side??

i got mine from here - he's local to my area and know him, so i like to support the local folks ... :)

http://sandspike.com/customLines.shtml#buoys

Razzman
05-27-2010, 03:02 PM

I bought mine at the local dealer as it was reasonably priced.

phospher
05-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Never have, never would.

KG's Supra24
05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't beach mine unless I am at Ouachita and on then on a submerged tire. The rocks are pretty rough on the hull so thats why I run it up on a tire. Anchor the back and tie off the front to a tree. Now, if we are out at the islands, I anchor up away from the shore. The bottom drops away so fast that debris is not an issue. Hydrilla on the other hand, is a pain. Have to kill the boat and swim under to get it all off the prop.

Ouachita? Thats where I call home but wouldn't even consider beaching because all the areas i go to are rock. On the old aliminum deck boat we beached on islands all the time. I just cant see myself doing it with the new boat. Will likely use the same technique as Razz and the rest.

Like you said, though, there is no walking to the boat. Our depths go from 3 ft to 30ft in 1 or 2 steps.

jeffrogge
05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I bought my buoy at the local dealer also, when we had one.

It is silly to think you would beach your boat just because other wear and tear happens. So you would not prevent the other damage if it was possible by an easy fix. That seems silly to me. Plus, it is easier for everyone to get in and out of the back of a boat.

Razzman
05-27-2010, 06:58 PM
it is easier for everyone to get in and out of the back of a boat.

Exactly what i think when i see my beached buddy and his tribe trying to climb over the bow as we just climb onto the platform.

james yarosz
05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Sorry guy's,guess I'm not a purest.Beach mine all the time.I did put a Keel Guard on it which saves a-lot of wear and tear.There are a few minor scratches on the bottom of the hull but I really don't care about resale...I'm keeping my Moomba forever!

viking
05-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Question for those of you using the anchor buddy - anybody using it with the "box anchor"? I'm planning on purchasing the anchor based on Newty's recommendation as I need a new one anyway.
Thanx!

newty
05-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Viking you'll love it! They are a little spendy but worth every penny. As far as the anchor buddy, as long is there is no major current or high winds they work great.

I Beach now and then on beaches I know to be safe. In my opinion sand on the bunks of the trailer from launch ramps, does far more damage than beaching in soft sand. I didn't beach my first year and the keel still had light scratches. Now when I say beaching I mean I get out of the boat before we get to the beach and pull the boat up by hand, not under power.
I see guys powering up so the boat won't drift and it makes me cringe.

moombadaze
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
the beach itself makes a difference- some are softer than other's

Razzman
05-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Question for those of you using the anchor buddy - anybody using it with the "box anchor"? I'm planning on purchasing the anchor based on Newty's recommendation as I need a new one anyway.
Thanx!

Just so happens i'm picking up a box anchor Saturday, i'm tired of not getting my anchors to set! Here's the deal on the box anchor, it uses a 2:1 scope at a 45 degree angle so if your in more then 25' of water the anchor buddy is not going to work with it. Slide Anchor also told me to use 3/8" rope as well. I can't speak for that. Newty what rope are you using on yours?

viking
05-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

eddieb
05-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I never beach my boat. And when I have to get it close to the shore line. I walk it in.

newty
05-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Razz I think its 3/8".
I don't use less unless its dock line and only when I'm in sight of it.:p
I think its ridiculous that people tie up 40k+ boats with crap line. doesn't make any sense.

zabooda
05-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I use a Danforth anchor, five feet of chain, 100' of 3/8" nylon rope and an anchor buddy. The 100' of rope will usually cover the whole length from the anchor to the front and back of boat and to the shore. I'll put a bumper on the rope when I take off and when I return I do a U turn and pick up the rope next to the driver and then tie off.

Sled491
05-29-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm a firm believer in the Richter anchor. Have had a few of them now and think they are the bomb. about 70 bucks.

I think sand in the impellor is a non issue. My lift is in very shallow water. I churn up tonnes of sand every time I drive on and off my lift. After the first year I changed my impellor and you couldn't tell the difference between the old one and new one. Now I did go through 3 cooling hoses so I've added a strainer and have had zero issues since.

walb0244
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM
We just got to the inboard level. It is taking some getting use to. We don't take the boat anywhere near the shore. I was worried about messing up the prop, rudder or even breaking off the fins on the bottom. I am still trying to learn everything.

Sled491
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
We just got to the inboard level. It is taking some getting use to. We don't take the boat anywhere near the shore. I was worried about messing up the prop, rudder or even breaking off the fins on the bottom. I am still trying to learn everything.

Kind of the best way to avoid damage, until you understand the limitations of the your

phospher
06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm a firm believer in the Richter anchor. Have had a few of them now and think they are the bomb. about 70 bucks.

Yes! I just picked one of these up a few weeks ago and I am very impressed. I got the 14lb one for my Outback and it hasn't let me down yet.

Sled491
06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Must be a WI thing :)

aintskeered
06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I guess I am a little backwards as always, I beached my boat like all the rest of the crew I went with for about 30 times... Not pretty end result! I added a keel guard after fixing the glass that was wore off the bottm and bought an anchor buddy. I do use the buddy backwards though. I put a bouy on the rope and throw it in about 65' from shore. Hook it to the back! of the boat and idel to shore to unload. hook a long rope on shore and let the buddy pull the boat back out. (enless lots of waves) when we launch unhook shore line and the buddy pulls us out. Unhook buddy and let the bouy float the line anchor. This keeps the prop and impeller and fin's always in deeper water. to re attach I run the floating line(bouy) down the right side of the boat and someone hooks it on the back while I idel to shore.