PDA

View Full Version : My Major Upgrade for the Year Tandem Trailer

RobertJ
05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Well, my upgrade this year is not very flashy but it really is the only thing that I had a concern about with my '07 LSV. I love the boat but have always had a little fear (not major, just back of mind stuff) of my S.A. trailer. The closest place that we go is about 40 mile one way and we do some 200 plus mile tips as well. We also pile lots of stuff in the boat so the S.A.'s capacity was an issue as well. To my luck I was able to make a deal with my dealer for a trailer off an '07 LSV that is the same color as my S.A. The new trailer is an '06.

On a side note the new trailer is outfitted with Reliable brand running gear (axles, brakes, and actuator) instead of UFP. It seams that Boatmate has used Reliable once in awhile. I would be interested in feedback on the Reliable running gear.

I pick up the new trailer on Friday. Now if I can get the Stretch55 diamond plate kit.

mmandley
05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Nice Robert, i bet it will look a lot sharper with the tandem axle. Cant wait to see some before and after pics.

kaneboats
05-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Logging that many miles loaded down I don't blame you one bit.

moombadaze
05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I did the same upgrade when I bought mine. I feel its worth it

jester
05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Robert, Sounds like a nice upgrade. You know it is not official until we see pictures :).

kaneboats
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Let him get it home already.

gus 08 mobius lsv
05-29-2010, 09:29 PM
my local lake is 20 miles away but once a year we travel 7 hours down south to cumberland and get a house boat would you guys be concerned with a single axle trailer this far. of course i'll make sure psi is correct and tire is in good shape.

LSM
05-31-2010, 07:35 AM
I contacted my dealer regarding a tandem axle trailer and he basically told me good luck or $5,000 dollars for a new one. He also told me that he would not take a trade for my single axle.

I think the LSV boat is too heavy for a single axle trailer. It's just not safe. My axle broke last summer and I had a tire blow out last week.

I want a tandem. Please let me know if you guys have info on how to get one at a reasonable price. Preferably used.

newyear14
05-31-2010, 02:55 PM
I recently bought an 09 OB V with tanden axle trailer. I love it. We don't tow very far but i feel secured with this set up. My previous boat had a single axle and a spare and had no problem with it though. Given a choice now, i would go with a tandem. Good Luck!

sailing217
06-01-2010, 09:25 AM
We got quoted $5000-$6500 for a new tandem trailer.

I would post up on the Nautique, Bu, and MC boards. A big group of them leave on the hoist all year and don't want to store their trailer.

We tow to Cumberland/Norris once a year and I would just really have my dealer go over the trailer beforehand. I have them check the bearings and grease everything up beforehand. Really only thing is I wouldn't do a long haul if my tow rig wasn't much bigger. If it's even close to the tail wagging the dog then I wouldn't risk the control factor if a blowout. Our SUV is close to this, so I have my buddy pull my boat down with his HD pickup. I have a tandem but feel much safer.

kaneboats
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Allright RobertJ- time's up -- where's the evidence?????

RobertJ
06-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Kane, I will post pictures before the week is out. I picked the new trailer up Friday and then we left town for the weekend (without the boat).

We had a great memorial day and we were able to help fill one of my Father-in-laws goals to go up in a glider. He was a B-52 Navigator in the late 60's and flew single engine planes when he was younger but has never been in a glider. We sent him and my 11 year old daughter up and they had a blast. My youngest son was pretty bummed that his sister got to go and not him but after about 5 minutes of pouting he changed his tune and later (to his suprise) we rewarded his good behavior by sending him and his older brother up. Boy did they have a blast and did a lot of wing-overs and other turn your stomach manuvers. Oldest boy got a little green and they cut the ride short.

Back to the trailer, man I am going to love the TA. I was okay with the SA but mostly because that is what I had but the benefits of the TA are huge. Like I said before our closest trip is 80 miles round trip.

mmandley
06-02-2010, 09:59 AM
my local lake is 20 miles away but once a year we travel 7 hours down south to cumberland and get a house boat would you guys be concerned with a single axle trailer this far. of course i'll make sure psi is correct and tire is in good shape.

There is no issue with the SA trailers in towing. I wouldn't worry about the distance. SC wouldn't allow the boats on a SA if it wasn't safe. You do need to check the trailer and tires a little more. You also need to be more mindful of the road conditions and debris.

The biggest reason for the TA trailer is ease of hauling over longer distances. 4 tires makes it a lot safer on the highway if you lose a tire. SA trailers, this is the only real disadvantage, other then with a TA you can load the boat up with a lot of gear and not be over the axle weight.

kaneboats
06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Make sure you have a spare and check the psi in the spare too. Also make sure you have a way to lift the trailer and a wrench that fits your lug nuts. When I tow any distance I check the truck spare and the trailer spare and pack my small floor jack and spinner wrench. If I'm by the side of the highway it's going to be for about 3 min. and I'll be moving again. :)

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-03-2010, 03:14 PM
There is no issue with the SA trailers in towing. I wouldn't worry about the distance. SC wouldn't allow the boats on a SA if it wasn't safe. You do need to check the trailer and tires a little more. You also need to be more mindful of the road conditions and debris.

The biggest reason for the TA trailer is ease of hauling over longer distances. 4 tires makes it a lot safer on the highway if you lose a tire. SA trailers, this is the only real disadvantage, other then with a TA you can load the boat up with a lot of gear and not be over the axle weight.

i just spoke to a dealer in ohio and asked about a t.a. trailer and he told me the same thing they are rated to hold the weight and he'd have no problem taking a single axle that far either. since its just once a year i'll take my chances.

and yeah kane not a lot of good a spare does with a jack but its something i've yet to take with me so thanks for the heads up there too!

kaneboats
06-03-2010, 09:37 PM
and yeah kane not a lot of good a spare does with a jack but its something i've yet to take with me so thanks for the heads up there too!

The more we hang around here the smarter we get. I don't know if the wife is buying that one but less time by the side of the road or under the engine cover means more time on the water, right?

KT Mobius
06-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey Robert where are the pics? I live down the street from you and I havent even seen the new trailer yet.

RobertJ
06-08-2010, 01:15 AM
KT, your killin' me :grin:. You can tell by the dirt patch I am calling a front yard that I have been busy. I am trying to get the yard done so I don't bring the neighborhood down.

I am hoping to get the boat out to detail it out this weekend and I will snap a picture.

Where did you go on Saturday?

KT Mobius
06-08-2010, 11:24 AM
We went up to Portland to see the Navy ships, however the water was horrible. There were huge logs (boat killers) and debris in the water. I thought for sure I was going ding my gel coat, but I made it out without any dings. Well take your time on the pics, I will take the 15 second walk and check it out.