PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Hoses

Termite
05-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I think I got the hoses reversed on my 2002 Outback when reconnecting them after winterizing last fall. I installed a new impeller and put all the plugs back in, but when lowering my boat into the water and letting it idle for about 5 minutes for the first time this year, the temp gauge slowly got above 200 and I cut it off. It continued to climb until it maxed out on the dial.

Is the correct configuration to have the hose going to the transmission cooler connected to the bottom fitting on the water pump, and the hose that runs up to the top of the engine connected to the upper fitting on the water pump? I had them reversed. I hope I didn't damage anything. Anything I should check other than seeing if I burned up the brand new impeller (or will I just find out soon enough if I ruined something else)?

seanpatsdad
05-26-2010, 02:16 AM
on my 04 LSV it is opposite what you have,tranny cooler to top of water pump.
bottom line to water pump comes from the "v" drive tranny.

Termite
05-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Okay. I reversed the hoses and it now it runs fine. The hose to the transmission cooler goes on bottom on the direct drive '02 Moomba. Gonna take a marker and label the hoses "top" and "bottom". Maybe that will keep me from fouling them up next time I'm scrambling to try and winterize the night the first freeze is coming. Just didn't check my work when cranking it back up this year.

kaneboats
05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Take a couple good pictures and save them in your "moomba" folder. Glad to hear you're back running.

scottman
06-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I painted a large "T" on the top hose prior to taking it loose the first time. Now I don't even have to think about it...