PDA

View Full Version : Brake actuator leaking fluid

AaronWhitt82
05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,
When I went to check the brake fluid for the trailer the other day I noticed the reservoir was dy.
I went ahead and topped it off with DOT4 brake fluid.
After I had the boat out Saturday for the first time this year I went ahead and checked it again and it was very low.
I checked the lines everywhere and where the line connects to the actuator and it was dry and no leaks.
When I checked underneath the tongue of the trailer I noticed it was dripping a little bit and it was brake fluid.
I cannot totally tell where it is leaking from, but I'd imagine somewhere in the actuator.
Inside the reservoir there was also alot of rust.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as how to disassemble the whole unit inside the tongue to take it out?
Also where would I buy a replacement one at?
Thanks

NewmbaTX
05-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Dissassembly fo tongue??? Might have to just jump in there and take it apart! It has Eclips and crssrod to attach the sliding part to the actuator.
As for parts..Is it a "Boatmate"? You can go to there site and order parts directly, most others trailer pars come out of San Marcos, CA, Trailer buddy..at www.ufpnet.com

Hope this helps! Be safe with brakes!

NewmbaTX
05-25-2010, 04:07 AM
Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to attach a file or pic to post...... I can send you a pdf of manual and parts lists if your trailer is a "boat mate". via email if you'd like.

AaronWhitt82
05-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes the trailer is a Boatmate..... I don't really want to start diassembly until I order a new actuator. I'm not really sure what I'll be getting into or how big of a job it is. Overall I don't think it should be that hard.
I went to the website you listed and I will need the A-60 actuator.
I didn't see a price on the website anywhere so I'm going to contact them direct and see.
Thanks

RobertJ
05-25-2010, 07:43 PM
You might just need a new cap on the actuater. The cap should have an o-ring and if it is worn it will cause the actuater to leak when the system builds up pressure. A pretty cheap fix if that is all that is wrong.

AaronWhitt82
05-25-2010, 08:53 PM
You might just need a new cap on the actuater. The cap should have an o-ring and if it is worn it will cause the actuater to leak when the system builds up pressure. A pretty cheap fix if that is all that is wrong.

Are you talking about the cap for the resorvoir or a different one inside somewhere?
I'd hate to disassemble the whole actuator just to look it over to see if I could figure out what was wrong because then I'd have to disconnect the brake line and bleed the whole system again.

RobertJ
05-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I was thinking the fill cap. I am getting a new to me trailer and the dealer just had to replace the cap on it as part of the trade check. I do think it might depand on what brand of acutator you have.

Razzman
05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Aaron the A-60 has a simple rubber plug for the master. The A-60 is easy to take apart and diagnose the issue. The cover on the outside is just that, a cover. If you remove the actuator assembly from the trailer and remove the clips on one side, pull the pins, the cover will slide off. Be carefull to note the positioning of all the parts as inside the cover there are bushings and sleeves. Inside you'll find the master and shock assemblies.

How old is the trailer? How much use has the trailer had? I ask as rust in a master is not a good thing and should be replaced. If the trailer is older i would suggest you might just replace the whole actuator. I've rebuilt and replaced A-60s and for the cost diff it's economical to replace the actuator as you can re-use the outer cover.

zegm
05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
How old is the trailer? How much use has the trailer had? I ask as rust in a master is not a good thing and should be replaced. If the trailer is older i would suggest you might just replace the whole actuator. I've rebuilt and replaced A-60s and for the cost diff it's economical to replace the actuator as you can re-use the outer cover.

I agree, when it comes to brakes money should not be your first concern as it could end up costing you a whole lot more money later!

AaronWhitt82
05-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Aaron the A-60 has a simple rubber plug for the master. The A-60 is easy to take apart and diagnose the issue. The cover on the outside is just that, a cover. If you remove the actuator assembly from the trailer and remove the clips on one side, pull the pins, the cover will slide off. Be carefull to note the positioning of all the parts as inside the cover there are bushings and sleeves. Inside you'll find the master and shock assemblies.

Yes, it does just have the rubber plug for the master then the larger plastic cap that goes on the tongue.
I have the tool to remove the clips off of the pins. It doesn't seem to be a hard job, but like you said to remember the positioning of everything.
The trailer is a 1999. Overall, it is in great condition with very little rust.
I am the 2nd owner and the previous one hardly used it as the boat was on a lift. He said he only trailered it to Florida and back twice and that was about it.
As soon as I saw the rust I figured it might have something to do with why it is leaking. Not sure if water got in there or what.
Do you have any idea how much the whole actuator assembly is?
Thanks

Razzman
05-26-2010, 09:39 AM
At that age i would definately replace it, it will be like having a new trailer. The last one i bought was in '06 and ir was $170, I think they're around $200 now. In fact here's where i got mine and it looks to be the cheapest around;

California Trailer Works (http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/product.php?productid=873&cat=132&page=1)

AaronWhitt82
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Razz - Thanks for that link. I'm going to place my order through them.
Also, mine has drum brakes instead of disc so it's a bit cheaper too.

AaronWhitt82
06-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Got the new actuator on Monday and had it installed in 5 minutes..... Piece of cake as it just slides right in the tongue. Put some marine grease on the pins and slid them through and put the C clips on.
Hooked the brake line up and filled the reservoir with DOT3 brake fluid.
I then took the wheels off and popped the sight plug thing out of the drum and sprayed the inside down with plenty of brake cleaner.
Put the wheels back on and called it a night.
Well today I had a buddy come over to help me bleed the brakes out and we kept filling the master cylinder and pumping it with a screw driver and it was going down fast.
Kept doing this over and over and just about went through a while 32OZ bottle of brake fluid.
I figured something wasn't right and what do ya know tons of fluid started pouring out of the trailer frame towards the back.
Disconnected the brake line at the master cylinder and in the back by the drum and pulled it out and sure enough the brake line was rusted through in a few spots.
Now another fun project..... Need about 14ft of brake line.
Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow...