PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Moomba Mobius

asil210
05-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I have a 2000 Moomba with 675 hrs. It has sat for 2 years and I am buying it from my brother. had a hole in hull repaired and gelcoat on various marks, prop re-worked and I have changed oil/filter (all synthetic), put in new sparkplugs, cleaned of the distributor button and cap.

want to replace the shaft packing....what size should the packing be?

I have put in water twice and twice it has died... had about 10 gallons of 2yrold gas I added 15 new and a gas treatment before the new gas.

what else should I look at doing (besides getting a new boat) to "revive" this boat? i am new to owning a boat so any info is helpful...Is there any place to download the engine manual. any info is appreciated.

I want to trust this boat but having a hard time getting there.....

moombadaze
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Starting point--get all the that old gas out of the tank ,it may need the carb rebuilt due to varnish buildup from sitting

discribe more in detail how it died.

asil210
05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
engine will ROUGH idle then just peter out. after what i have done put it on the water today let it idol and seemed ok. felt good enough to take out of no wake zone....opened her up and after about 30 sec. boat began a sputtering then choking quick death...cannot start now.

kaneboats
05-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Hope you told your brother that you subtract what you spend each month out of the payment till it's running right. Still, this is a good model. In a few weeks she'll be running like a top and you'll be very happy. Clean out the old gas and change the fuel filter right away. Good luck!

asil210
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
LOL, actually it is something like that...we agreed on a price but I am subtracting these costs and we will see where we are then...don't you think you can give some more things to "subtract" ROFL.

BTW - today i put in new shaft packing, 1/4 inch. literature states 2 or 3 pieces....i only got 2, but wondering what the judgement call is for putting in a 3 piece...? when i put it in threaded the nut, then backed off 1/2 turn then tightened 1/4 did this a couple of times. I have about 1/2 the thickness of the 3rd piece left recessed in the packing nut...do i force the thrird? I have the 3rd piece cut so when i put it in the water i'll have it if i cannot get it to the correct drip rate 1 per 30-45 seconds.

maxpower220
05-24-2010, 07:56 PM
How long will it idle before it stops? If for a long time, then you probably have a stuck float bowl. That would explain why it only runs for a short time when you open it up. The best thing to do is take the carb off and clean it.

Hopefully, you changed the oil/filter and transmission fluid too. Change out the fuel filter, as it needs it. Lube the steering cable and rudder port. Ensure that the bilge pump works.

asil210
05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
it sat in the water near the boat ramp and i kept it there for 4-5 min. (i did not gun the engine while in idole either) before i moved out of the no wake zone maybe another min or so...then i opened it up and it died.....

I have changed oil/filter (all synthetic oil)....need to change trans. fluid...does it have it's own drain hose like the oil? how much does it hold? need a fuel filter as well...thanks.

asil210
06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Engine Runs GREAT now. however, i have emptied the fuel fileter 8 times now of water. is there a drain line for draining the fuel tank as there is for the oil? I have 25 gallsons of gas and want to drain the water from it.....

kaneboats
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think there's a drain but you can siphon it out of that one very easily. I filled my mower out of the O/B all the time. Hated running out for mower gas but always happy to top off the boat!

I'd be tempted to raise the opposite side with a floor jack or something to push it all to the near side and get just about all of it. Then throw some stabil in and fill with fresh.

asil210
06-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I put stablizer in the 10 OLD gallons of gas....I just put 15 new in after the stablizer....I really appreciate the insite, thanks! do you think I could just use a long enough tube to hit the water that I am sure is all on the bottom? or should i just take out all the gas?

kaneboats
06-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I would remove every drop you can get. Pour off the good stuff and save it for the mower.