PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!!!!!

2007 Outback V
05-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Unmarked rock! I was following a line of boats through a channel to get to the lake. I was moving as slow as the boat could go and then BAM! :mad: Lucky me to hit a rock. I use to think that people who hit rocks were just inattentive and careless. Boy was I wrong.

Here is the damage. Repairable? I've never had to get a prop repaired. I have no clue how bad it is. The boat seemed to run fine, slight vibration between 10-15 mph after that I didn't notice any vibration. Not any more than this OJ prop is known to have. I was thinking of sending it to OJ, have them fix the prop and get out the vibration that the 14.25 X 14 OJ prop is known to have.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=2543 (https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=2543)

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=2544

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=2545

Razzman
05-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Ouch is right! Sorry to see that. I've seen worse than that fixed before.

kaneboats
05-23-2010, 10:31 PM
OH, I've definitely seen worse. You're not an idiot nor inattentive. Just uninformed. Happens to the best of us.

OBV6
05-24-2010, 11:00 AM
My wife had the same problem fortunately it was on the ramp on the way home! The prop had the same rolled tips as yours. Sent the prop back to the dealer who had a local prop guy fix it. Couldn't tell a difference in look or performance when it came back. Bottom line is I bought another prop for a spare so I wouldn't ruin a good surf day.

deafgoose
05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I did the same thing and upgraded to a 14x14 prop. WOW.. what a HUGE difference it made!

viking
05-24-2010, 12:50 PM
you don't have to send it to OJ for repair.

Most dealers know of local places and can handle this for you.

This is true but the local repair shop here hosed me and would have been cheaper to send it off to JohnsonProps and pay shipping in the end! Make sure you check all avenues first.

cab13367
05-24-2010, 02:56 PM
place my dealer uses is in Tampa. Cost me about $250 to have the blades straightened and trued - and got the prop back in three days.

For those in the Denver area, I have used Jim's Prop Shop a couple times when I lived there and they do great work for a reasonable price. This was on I/O props but I am guessing they work on all props.

bergermaister
05-25-2010, 02:38 AM
I'd stick with your Moomba dealer recommendation. I've heard of guys getting hosed on having it taking forever, or getting one quote, then a prop shop telling them it wasn't salvageable or was "worse than they thought" and giving them a different price.

My prop had a few wobbles from a low water encounter at the launch late last summer. For the repairs, I could have gone direct, but for $165 the excellent guys at Active Water Sports in Oregon City swapped on a reman they had on the shelf while I had it down there for de-winterizing, and then they will send my old prop off for repair and stick it back on the shelf when they get it back. No waiting around for the repair!

Yours doesn't look too bad - I've seen onebefore that looked like a flower...

NewmbaTX
05-25-2010, 03:11 AM
I'd say save your cash and buy a new prop for spare or preformance. Mine was bent a litlle when I bought boat (from previous owner, not me)...It CNC'd brass, not cast, so if it bends, it will bend back. Use a cresent wrench, adjust to fit a start of bend near where it still straight, and SLOWLY work it back out to normal. Feel it with your finger tips (close yours eyes and just feel the flow), you will get it close to normal and no one will ever know...that is until NEXT time...JK!!!

ejojprop
05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
The cost for a typical repair we do runs from $70.00 to $150.00. Most fall between $80.00 and $100.00. The $260.00 for a repair is very high. We do all repairs in house and will not attempt a prop we feel cannot be repaired to original specs.

Both the CNC machined props and hand finished props are cast and can be repaired the same.

ejojprop
05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Standard ground shipping via Fed Ex would be no more than $15.00. To send one next day air runs $45 to $50.00.

Keep in mind as well, we are the only factory that does repairs in house.

2007 Outback V
05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Standard ground shipping via Fed Ex would be no more than $15.00. To send one next day air runs $45 to $50.00.

Mine is already on the way to you Eric. Work your magic :D

Ed FYI, WI to TN (OJ Props) was 13.44 standard ground UPS. Not too bad for an 11+ lb package.

jester
05-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Eric,

About how many days does it take once the prop hits your loading dock?

Outback, That does suck. But on the plus side it was only the prop and not the shaft with it.

ejojprop
05-26-2010, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=jester;99920]Eric,

About how many days does it take once the prop hits your loading dock?

No more than two days in the shop. Most go out the same day.

zegm
05-26-2010, 07:07 AM
The cost for a typical repair we do runs from $70.00 to $150.00. Most fall between $80.00 and $100.00. The $260.00 for a repair is very high. We do all repairs in house and will not attempt a prop we feel cannot be repaired to original specs.

Both the CNC machined props and hand finished props are cast and can be repaired the same.

Thanks Eric for clearing this up! I have never paid more than 90 dollars to repair a prop and one was a stainless steel prop that was missing part of the blade. But I must also say living in a town that has one of the largest fishing fleet in the Gulf of Mexico probably doesn't hurt. Actually when I last took my MC prop to "Marine Wheels" I was a little embarrassed because my prop was sooooo little compared to that others lying around. When you see a Ford F-350 sagging in the rear because a pair of props are lying in the bed then you can understand what I mean.

viking
05-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Like I said.........I'd go direct!
thanks Eric. I learned the hard way like alot of other :)

cab13367
05-26-2010, 02:54 PM

I think that is a huge + for OJ.

2007 Outback V
05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
OJ received my prop yesterday and it can be fixed!!! They are also going to try and fix the growl/vibration that the prop had before I smacked her. $95 plus shipping to fix both things, not too bad. Plus the prop should head out the door today, now that's a good turn around time :D. I'll let you all know how she turns when I get her back.

viking
05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Awesome! I had a prop that had a very very very small nick compared to yours and the local shop (if you want to call 3 hrs away local) charged me $180 after they quoted me no more than $150 to fix. Needless to say I won't be doing any business with them anymore. Not to mention it took 4 months to get it back and they misplaced it more than once!

Did I say it was a small nick you could barely notice :( My arse still hurts from getting bent over!

Razzman
05-27-2010, 03:04 PM
My arse still hurts from getting bent over!

Moral of the story? Don't bend over! :p

meech
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
for anyone interested ... i went through these guys (they are local), they did a great job...cost me $150 and the prop looks as good as new...will go through them again, if needed (crossing fingers i won't! haha) ...

fyi- they do a lot of work with the boat dealers who send in props, etc....

http://www.propshopltd.com/index.html

zegm
05-27-2010, 09:51 PM
for anyone interested ... i went through these guys (they are local), they did a great job...cost me $150 and the prop looks as good as new...will go through them again, if needed (crossing fingers i won't! haha) ...

fyi- they do a lot of work with the boat dealers who send in props, etc....

http://www.propshopltd.com/index.html

That still seems a little high, but if you can count on good work then it is worth it.