PDA

View Full Version : Wake Plate won't stay in place

Tyger
05-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I've been having a problem for awhile now where my wake plate won't stay in place. If it's set anywhere above 0% (starting from the left side of the gauge, i.e. nose up) it will gradually drift back to 0%. It happens over the course of about maybe 20 minutes or so, so it's very gradual. I just keep an eye on it while I'm driving and adjust when it gets too far. It's not a major issue, but very annoying.

I had it in to the dealer over the winter and asked them to check it. They didn't find anything wrong with it, however. I also searched the threads and didn't find anyone with a similar problem.

Has anyone seen this before or know what to check?

Fman
05-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I've been having a problem for awhile now where my wake plate won't stay in place. If it's set anywhere above 0% (starting from the left side of the gauge, i.e. nose up) it will gradually drift back to 0%. It happens over the course of about maybe 20 minutes or so, so it's very gradual. I just keep an eye on it while I'm driving and adjust when it gets too far. It's not a major issue, but very annoying.

I had it in to the dealer over the winter and asked them to check it. They didn't find anything wrong with it, however. I also searched the threads and didn't find anyone with a similar problem.

Has anyone seen this before or know what to check?

Is it leaking fluid at all? Possibly could be a bad seal? Check your reservoir to make sure its not getting lower.

Tyger
06-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Ok, I looked around yesterday, but I can't find the reservoir for the wake plate hydrolics.

Can anyone tell me where to look?

Thanks!

Tyger
06-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Ok, found it finally. I did some searching and found that the Moomba system is actually a Barrett trim tab, so I found a picture of that system on Overton's which showed me what to look for. On my '05 LSV, the system is on the port side front of the engine compartment right near the pylon. I've attached a pic.

mmandley, it can't be that the motor is running, because then my battery would be going dead.

I drew a red line showing the level of the hydrolic fluid. I don't think this is anywhere near low enough to cause the wake plate to not work properly.

My only thought is that maybe the motor isn't staying in place like it should and allowing the hydrolic pump to move back in. I think I can order just this part of it, but I'd like to test that theory before I do. Any ideas on how to figure out the problem?

brain_rinse
06-14-2010, 02:44 PM
It's acutally Bennett trim tabs. I'd give them a call - they are very helpful with troubleshooting these types of issues.. My guess would be faulty actuator but it's just a guess. Definitely call before just replacing parts. Good luck and report back!

Tyger
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
It's acutally Bennett trim tabs. I'd give them a call - they are very helpful with troubleshooting these types of issues.. My guess would be faulty actuator but it's just a guess. Definitely call before just replacing parts. Good luck and report back!

Thanks a ton for the tip, brain. I contacted them via their website and they sent me troubleshooting tips early the next day. I didn't find any major problems so they are sending me a valve rebuild kit for free. I'll post again if this solves my problem.

It's so nice to work with people who stand behind their product.

kaneboats
06-17-2010, 01:49 AM
That's just OUTSTANDING! I'm very glad to hear they are working with you.

Tyger
06-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Installed the valve rebuild kit (in like 5 minutes) earlier this week and today on the lake the wake plate worked perfectly.

Thanks again, Brain. Bennett was great to work with and resolved my problem very quickly.

brain_rinse
06-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Great! Glad you got fixed up.