PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a replacement Impeller online?

05-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I have an 08 XLV with the 340 Cat motor and its time to replace the impeller. What impeller (or impeller kit) should I be using? Also, is there anywhere online people can recommend for buying the parts?

Thanks.

viking
05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
skidim.com is a great place for those parts. Although I bought my last impeller from bakesonline.com since it was a few bucks cheaper!

05-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Thanks, went to bakes and ordered it up.

Cheers.

gus 08 mobius lsv
05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
how often to you replace the impeller or is a check and see what kind of shape its in first?

viking
05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I can't remember what the manual says but I think if you take them out over the winter and put them in a ziplock bag with vaseline they'd be good for a few seasons. I replace mine every 2 years regardless. Figure it's cheap insurance!

Razzman
05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Indmar says every two years but imo it all depends on your lake conditions. Our lakes are deep, clean and fairly clear for the most part without a lot of weeds and no sand. I never anchor in less than 5-6' of water so when i start up no sediment or junk is stirred up and sucked in. I changed mine recently and there's no wear at all after two years so i went ahead and changed it but kept the old as a backup. A raw water strainer (https://forum.moomba.com/showpost.php?p=94934&postcount=32)does wonders to help keep garbage out as well.

If you boat on a lake or river with a lot of sand, weeds or shallow waters or beach your boat then i'd probably do it every year. I've gone three without issues and still looking new. I have a buddy who's never changed it in six and it's still good!

cab13367
05-24-2010, 02:46 PM
gus,

The manual says to change it every two years. It's a roll of the dice. It could last one, it could last ten. Like Razz, I changed mine after two years and it looks brand new so I keep it on the boat as a spare. If you don't change it regularly, you run the risk of it letting go at a most inconvenient time, i.e., on the water with a boat load of friends. So for about $30 and 30 minutes every two years, it's cheap insurance and you can do it at your convenience, not the impeller's :)

Al

gus 08 mobius lsv
05-24-2010, 03:10 PM
gus,

The manual says to change it every two years. It's a roll of the dice. It could last one, it could last ten. Like Razz, I changed mine after two years and it looks brand new so I keep it on the boat as a spare. If you don't change it regularly, you run the risk of it letting go at a most inconvenient time, i.e., on the water with a boat load of friends. So for about $30 and 30 minutes every two years, it's cheap insurance and you can do it at your convenience, not the impeller's :)

Al

thanks guys i know you sent me a pm al but i must have deleted it by accident where should i get one at... i won't replace it till the end of this year but wouldn't hurt having a spare on the boat... another dumb new guy question where is it located exactly ?

i do have a raw water strainer and it was clean after last year i'm usually in 25 plus feet of water and bottoms not sandy no weed issue to speak of either.

cab13367
05-24-2010, 03:17 PM
thanks guys i know you sent me a pm al but i must have deleted it by accident where should i get one at... i won't replace it till the end of this year but wouldn't hurt having a spare on the boat... another dumb new guy question where is it located exactly ?

i do have a raw water strainer and it was clean after last year i'm usually in 25 plus feet of water and bottoms not sandy no weed issue to speak of either.

skidim.com, bakesonline.com

Here is a pic from the winterization post. It's inside that housing. Remove the 4 screws and remove the cover and you will see it. This is located on the back of the engine, under the muffler (the big, black, fiberglass tube behind the engine).

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/Winterizing/IMG_3037.jpg

gus 08 mobius lsv
05-24-2010, 05:08 PM
yeah after i posted it i looked up and read the post that told me sorry to be such an idiot!

thanks for the pic al i see its pretty tight quarters... so i'll try the can opener idea.