PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Leaking

dereklschmidt
05-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Alright, problems keep coming up!! Just got back from the lake, have a pretty big leak in the seam of a ballast bag. Please tell me I can repair this somehow! I do not want to buy a new bag.

Is there a seam sealer out there? Have you had this happen and repair it? What about a regular ballast patch, would this work over the seam? Please help!!

Let me know your advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

mmandley
05-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I will headed to AWS today ill talk with Spencer and or Jason see if they have any ideas as a sealer.

ToddXLV
05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I would look at it as a opportunity to upgrade your rear left to a larger ballast for surfing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLY-HIGH-FAT-SAC-WAKEBOARD-SURF-BOAT-BALLAST-BAG-750LBS-/300398720962?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f128b7c2

I really doubt you can repair it. There is no glue that will seal that since it's not a hard surface but like a balloon.

dereklschmidt
05-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I should have mentioned, these are custom made sacks. They were in the boat when I bought it. Not sure who makes it as there is nothing written on them. I think the seams are different then fly high or any other brand I have seen. (See Pictures)

I pointed out where it's leaking from. Think I can peel back the seam a little and stuff some sort of sealant in there? If so, what kind? Or what about using the sealant, then putting a circle patch over that entire area?

These are 650lb sacks already, I will definitely go with the fly high 750 sack IF I can not repair this one. Money is tight right now and I would much rather do a temporary fix to get me through my wedding and upgrade in the winter.

Let me know what you think.

mmandley
05-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Talked to Spencer and all he said was send them back to Fly High. I told him they might not be fly high and he didnt have any ideas. Looks like you need some kind of rubber bonding agent