PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes

suvlako
07-13-2004, 09:53 PM
I am coming up on the 20 hour service and I am wondering if it entails more than just an oil change and if so, what? Secondly, I am relatively handy and was wondering if I could do the oil changes myself and how? Any other tips on maintenance will be appreciated. By the way, it is an 04 mobious ls. thanks!!

alwaysriding
07-14-2004, 03:54 PM
I told my dealer that I changed my oil and tranny at 20, but they said they still needed to do the service to 'adjust' the engine mounts and prop shaft alignment. They convinced me that settling occur as the motor is broken-in. Anyway, I have no idea if these things were really tweaked by the dealer or not, but it was the only reason I really took the boat in. I don't want ANY warranty issues down the road to result in "we told you to bring the boat in at 20 hours..blah blah blah." Just trying to cover my own butt.

Does anyone know how I could tell if my motor mounts/prop shaft were adjusted?

suvlako
07-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Alwaysriding, Do you know what a rotator splint is? It is a made up word from the movie "road trip" in an attempt to get over on a poor young blind lady. Sounds like BS to me, but the warranty is important, so I will probably have them do it. Thanks for the response. ARt

Catdog1
07-14-2004, 08:12 PM
I think you should ask the dealer to itemize what he does. You need to perform that first oil change as soon as practical ( little shards of metal are created by most new engines during the first few hours...best to get them out of the pan ASAP ).

Then, you might insist on the shaft alignment ( being first certain that the dealer has enough experience with inboards to know how to do it ).

Between the initial boat flex and the imprecision of the motor mounts attachments to the frame struts, there seems to me to be plenty of possibility that the factory alignment might not hold.

The way its checked on direct drives is posted. Moomba will fax you a do it yourself sheet, also, that might make you more comfortable when you discuss it with the dealer or mechanic.

I've not changed the trans fluid in 360 hours. Maybe I should. My concern is that the transmission manufacturer insists on changing the filter with the fluid, but Moomba built the boat so the filter is not removable unless the transmission is removed from the boat! I dont want to stir up the filter dirt with a fluid change. Call it irrational, but I'm leaving well enough alone on the transmission.