PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Impeller

tazz3069
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
I do this every year and every year I get frustrated. I need to change the Impeller on my boat. Every year I have to take off the pump and the Impeller falls out. Is there a way to take it out without taking off the entire pump. I tried needle nose pliers and Nothing. Can someone tell me an easier way PLZ

Tazz

nibots
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Get an impeller puller and it will come right out. I use one on my v drive boat where the engine faces the stern and I can't even see the impeller, with no problems. I can get it out in about a minute.

klk
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Same here. Used a puller the last two years on a V drive and it works great. Also the impeller is not damaged. I now have two spares. Takes more time to get the new one in.

cab13367
05-19-2010, 05:47 PM
I do this every year and every year I get frustrated. I need to change the Impeller on my boat. Every year I have to take off the pump and the Impeller falls out. Is there a way to take it out without taking off the entire pump. I tried needle nose pliers and Nothing. Can someone tell me an easier way PLZ

Tazz

Tazz,

Did you try needle nose vise grips? The jaws stay parralel allowing you to get good bite. I insert one jaw in the middle of the impeller and the other between two impeller vanes. Then I wiggle it out a little, release it, insert the vise grip a little further, wiggle it out some more, readjust it, and it's out. Takes me no time at all.

I also spray silicone lubricant into the impeller housing and bump the engine for a sec to spread out the lube before I start. I do this at winterizing time.

Al

04OUTBACK
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
tazz
take the support arm off the pump, but don't unbolt the pump. will allow the outer area to spin.. grip the impeller with pliers and and rock the housing and forth.. werks fer me

csmsk
05-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I've always used the metal paint can openers. usually just one works fine. Stick it in, it hooks the back of one of the splines, pull it out. I've never had a problem with this method and the impeller doesn't get ruined (as with needle nose or other pliers) so it can be kept as a spare.