PDA

View Full Version : Random: Debating career change.......

WaterBullDawg1980
05-17-2010, 09:44 PM
So here is the low down...

I am 29 turning the big 3 0 in November. I'M GETTING OLD! : )

Been in the same industry but promoted from the bottom of the totem pole and am now selling Enterprise focused wireless solutions for one of the big 4. (Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T) phones, sim based solutions specifically in healthcare, logistics and engineering verts.

I like my job fine. The pay is better than most I guess and my benefits are second to none.

But I am not doing something I LOOOVE. The concern for myself is that I do have a very young family who depends on me and I would never want to do anything that puts us in a bad way. That being said, it would it is EXTREMELY APPEALING to start work in a job/career that I have a passion. I would gladly take a pay cut to be doing something I love. It's not that I do not like what I do now, but the passion I have which applies to my current career is not lining up with the direction my company is going. And I have close to zero control over this.

To some of you with more experience, am I chasing something that I shouldn't be? I have been taking a really strong look at a career shift into the watersports industry somehow, someway. My value add to these companies I truly believe is a convincing one, but it seems most are just trying to stay afloat right now and have no room for salesmen.

A buddy of mine is recruiting me to come over to OrACLE, but that just seems like it would be more of the same.....As you can see, I am at an standstill here....

My degree was in Marketing, but am currently looking at either getting my MBA or a second degree in Finance as it would not take but 12 months.

What do you fellas say??? Any opinions out there?

jeffrogge
05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Thats tough and I would not take my opinion but I am 31 and love my job. I also have a young family and providing for them is the most important thing, I have lived in very undesirable places to make that happen. I would at least look into it the field you are interested in. You already have a good job if you don't like what you hear when you speak to them. If you go to a few interviews and financially a change does not work then no loss. But if you can make it work then great. No harm in applying and interviewing. Good luck with your decision. A man a lot wiser than me once said "there are always a million reasons to not do something."

Razzman
05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Think 30 is old? I'm 53 and just went back to school for my BS in Electronic Security. That being said you have to look at the intended industry, how stable is it? What is the current and pprojected demand? Where is it going?

I made that choice two years ago and left AT&T after many years with them to follow a new path and it imploded due to the recession. I can't go back and nobody is hiring right now without the BS degree so i'm going after a federal job through the VA. But it's not without a lot of hard work getting there and at 53 it's not much fun either.

I too stayed in jobs to support my family i wasn't all that happy with but it was neccessary as i wasn't about to take the risk of putting their well being in peril.

Imo the watersports industry is not all that stable right now and will probably take quite awhile to come back, if it ever does to the scale it was before. But if you feel you can do it and make it work then it's a choice only you can make.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

zegm
05-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Wow! I feel your pain! But right now is probably not the best time to change careers and one in the Water Sports Industry at this time to me would NOT be wise (look what happened to my beloved Boaters World!!!). I work at a Fortune 500 company and for the past year my site HAS growing, that being said we have had a hiring freeze imposed on us from corporate for the past year. We do hire contractors but they receive NO benefits, NO time off! I feel bad for them when they have sick kids at home. It is a double wammy as they have to take off work for which they don't get paid to take them to a Doctor with which they have no insurance coverage for. If I was you I would wait a year or two to see how the industry responds. In this time do some research on what you want to do. Talk to people in the field, see how it is going, make some longer term plans. Save some money so when you do jump you have a cushion. You are YOUNG and have plenty of time to decide. Thirty is nothing I will be 50+ on Friday. Not as old as Razzman but almost! :D

deerfield
05-17-2010, 11:49 PM
So here is the low down...

I am 29 turning the big 3 0 in November. I'M GETTING OLD! : )

Been in the same industry but promoted from the bottom of the totem pole and am now selling Enterprise focused wireless solutions for one of the big 4. (Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T) phones, sim based solutions specifically in healthcare, logistics and engineering verts.

I like my job fine. The pay is better than most I guess and my benefits are second to none.

But I am not doing something I LOOOVE. The concern for myself is that I do have a very young family who depends on me and I would never want to do anything that puts us in a bad way. That being said, it would it is EXTREMELY APPEALING to start work in a job/career that I have a passion. I would gladly take a pay cut to be doing something I love. It's not that I do not like what I do now, but the passion I have which applies to my current career is not lining up with the direction my company is going. And I have close to zero control over this.

To some of you with more experience, am I chasing something that I shouldn't be? I have been taking a really strong look at a career shift into the watersports industry somehow, someway. My value add to these companies I truly believe is a convincing one, but it seems most are just trying to stay afloat right now and have no room for salesmen.

A buddy of mine is recruiting me to come over to OrACLE, but that just seems like it would be more of the same.....As you can see, I am at an standstill here....

My degree was in Marketing, but am currently looking at either getting my MBA or a second degree in Finance as it would not take but 12 months.

What do you fellas say??? Any opinions out there?

WaterBullDawg - It's great to know you have benefits and a regular paycheck. In a world that sometimes can be rough and upside down, those are two things for which we can be grateful every day. That said, I encourage you to further explore work that you can approach each day with passion. I don't know your circumstances so have no idea how you would do that, but think that there is something to be said for not spending the better part of your life doing something just for a paycheck. Seems to me that in your DNA mix is a set of talents, strengths, and interests unique to you that will deliver for you and your loved ones in the biggest way with a job to match. If you can afford it, I encourage you to get your MBA. Regardless of where you go in your career, an MBA degree delivers earning power in the marketplace and will even have application to your personal life. If you go that route, don't get hung up on brand name. After thirty years in government and business, I've seen them all and can tell you that success comes in equal doses from both no-name as well as top tier graduate schools. Opt for the executive program. You get to keep your job while attending school. Life will be a challenge, but thousands before you have done it. Make absolute sure your wife buys in to the program. It will be tought for a couple of years. Your employer might even help pay part of the tab. - Deerfield

brain_rinse
05-17-2010, 11:55 PM
... Regardless of where you go in your career, an MBA degree delivers earning power in the marketplace and will even have application to your personal life.
I completely agree with deerfield's comments above, especially this part.

Razzman
05-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Not as old as Razzman but almost! :D

Hey, HEY! Easy on that not as old part! :p

deerfield
05-18-2010, 12:05 AM

No worry, Razz. If anything, you are a young pup.

zabooda
05-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Go with your instincts if you have workable plan, path forward and a spouse that can support your family. You will be second guessing yourself if the opportunity arises and you don't jump on it.

zegm
05-18-2010, 07:54 AM

Oh sorry Razzman! This Friday though I will be closer to your age when I hit Fifty Two. (Notice how I spelled it out, not noticed as easily) :p

Jeff W
05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm in the same spot, age, etc as you although I already have an MBA..

My piece of advice? Take a part time job in your desired industry - see if the fit and field are right for you. Start working Saturdays or a couple nights a week. If you feel it's a "fit" for you - then you can start developing a resume targeted towards that field and the added bonus will be that your resume can show your new "field experience" even if it's only a week or a month of part time work in said field.

Good luck man. Proceed, but proceed with caution.

So weird that there are so many of us in the Telcom Industry! 3 or 4 in this thread alone.

Razzman
05-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Oh sorry Razzman! This Friday though I will be closer to your age when I hit Fifty Two. (Notice how I spelled it out, not noticed as easily) :p

Sorry to dissapoint you but i'll add another year to that gap tomorrow, fifty-four :mad:

phospher
05-18-2010, 10:38 AM
IMO, I wouldn't get a Finance degree. They are a dime a dozen and the world doesn't need anymore of them..

jbheuerman
05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I can totally relate to your problem. I am 29 and have a job that is ok, but not what I love. My wife and I also own our own business, which I would love to do full time, but money permitting, it is just not possible to give up my current job right now. My solution, work the second job as much as possible. Having kids will be the main struggle for you, but definitely test the waters before you jump in. In my opinion, the economy is no where near a recovery, not as bad as a year ago, but still has a long way to go...especially the boating industry. I work my second job (our business) every night and most weekends to make sure it is something I want to permanently switch too full time. When you have a good handle on things, you will know when it is the right time to make the commitment to switch permanently. Good Luck!

kaneboats
05-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Start your own business doing what you love. Start small-- keep expenses down. Keep your current job in the meantime. Do it till you can't afford to go to your old job anymore. Good luck! Don't look back!

05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
I worked selling Cell phones for about 3 years while going to school then moved to be a Tech for a Computer company about 10 years ago, I started a small side business doing what I liked (Electronics, Home Automation, Home Audio and Digital Surveillance). I took it slow, kept my job while building the company up and 7 years ago moved across the province with my wife to live near a lake and start the business in the new area. (Of course I wasn't into wakeboarding at this time but 3 months after moving my wife convinced me to buy an old boat. 3 boats later we got a new XLV and I'm an addict when it comes to the lake, it's my absolute favorite thing to do)

For the first few years we got to see what direction the business would take (90% of our installs are digital surveillance systems) I had to travel to installs but I still had a lot of freedom and the money was good. Now I have 3 full time installers and I actually like my job. There are a lot of resonsibilities with your own business but one of my priorities was family, leisure time and a good lifestyle over money, but fortunatley I now have all the above (forecast is good this week so as the boss I will be forced to take a lake day).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is follow your heart but provide for your family first. I was lucky, my wife has the same goals as me and isn't all about making more money, we both value happiness and TIME (be it with family, friends or doing your favorite activity) more then stuff (although a Moomba is stuff and it provides happiness). I'm 33.

viking
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
IMO, I wouldn't get a Finance degree. They are a dime a dozen and the world doesn't need anymore of them..

your entitled to your opinion but if that is truely what he wants to do - I say go for it. There is a lot of "everything" out there in this world and that's not a reason NOT to do something. If it brings you joy, happiness, or a feeling of accomplishment then all the power to ya! Plus, I doubt highly that having one would hinder one's ability to be productive in society?

It's kind of like a Masters Degree..............It doesn't guarantee you more money or success or happiness! But it surely won't hurt you to have it in your tool belt!

wolfeman131
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
we need to have a few beers at Johnny's to hash this out . . .

I've gone the corporate route while a few of my friends have gone the entrepreneur route. For what it's worth, I'll give you my view on the pro's & con's of both. If you care to hear it, I'll also give you my view of what an MBA is worth from a monetary, career and personal perspective.

jeffrogge
05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
I would be willing to bet that no one hiring an employee has ever said " look at this jackass that got more education." Plus with an MBA you can get it online which you could work on while you where waiting for the economy to continue to turn around. I think this is a good thing to start with and then you can continue to decide. Good luck.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:15 PM
WaterBullDawg - It's great to know you have benefits and a regular paycheck. In a world that sometimes can be rough and upside down, those are two things for which we can be grateful every day. That said, I encourage you to further explore work that you can approach each day with passion. I don't know your circumstances so have no idea how you would do that, but think that there is something to be said for not spending the better part of your life doing something just for a paycheck. Seems to me that in your DNA mix is a set of talents, strengths, and interests unique to you that will deliver for you and your loved ones in the biggest way with a job to match. If you can afford it, I encourage you to get your MBA. Regardless of where you go in your career, an MBA degree delivers earning power in the marketplace and will even have application to your personal life. If you go that route, don't get hung up on brand name. After thirty years in government and business, I've seen them all and can tell you that success comes in equal doses from both no-name as well as top tier graduate schools. Opt for the executive program. You get to keep your job while attending school. Life will be a challenge, but thousands before you have done it. Make absolute sure your wife buys in to the program. It will be tought for a couple of years. Your employer might even help pay part of the tab. - Deerfield

Great insight here Deerfield. I get excited just thinking about being in a career that I wake up wanting to do. My paycheck is nice, but there are downfalls with it as with all of them. My job takes me an hour and a half to get to one way, so it takes away from my family which can be tough.

The way I have been leaning in my thinking is to place more importance of having a happier husband and father at home after work. Not that I am unhappy! I am blessed beyond belief and I know well aware of my blessings.

I am leaning towards the MBA as well. The Executive MBA. There is a program on a satellite campus of The University of Georgia near where I live that I could do this a couple nights a week for a year and a half. I am heavily considering this. To top it off, my work will pay up to 7,000 dollars a semester towards it which is NIIIICE.

Thanks for the input buddy...

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I can totally relate to your problem. I am 29 and have a job that is ok, but not what I love. My wife and I also own our own business, which I would love to do full time, but money permitting, it is just not possible to give up my current job right now. My solution, work the second job as much as possible. Having kids will be the main struggle for you, but definitely test the waters before you jump in. In my opinion, the economy is no where near a recovery, not as bad as a year ago, but still has a long way to go...especially the boating industry. I work my second job (our business) every night and most weekends to make sure it is something I want to permanently switch too full time. When you have a good handle on things, you will know when it is the right time to make the commitment to switch permanently. Good Luck!

It really is a tough decision, your right. I have an idea of something I could do for my own business, but it is a consulting gig that would be a conflict of interest to my current job. :(

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow! I feel your pain! But right now is probably not the best time to change careers and one in the Water Sports Industry at this time to me would NOT be wise (look what happened to my beloved Boaters World!!!). I work at a Fortune 500 company and for the past year my site HAS growing, that being said we have had a hiring freeze imposed on us from corporate for the past year. We do hire contractors but they receive NO benefits, NO time off! I feel bad for them when they have sick kids at home. It is a double wammy as they have to take off work for which they don't get paid to take them to a Doctor with which they have no insurance coverage for. If I was you I would wait a year or two to see how the industry responds. In this time do some research on what you want to do. Talk to people in the field, see how it is going, make some longer term plans. Save some money so when you do jump you have a cushion. You are YOUNG and have plenty of time to decide. Thirty is nothing I will be 50+ on Friday. Not as old as Razzman but almost! :D

I hate this economy right now, bc if it was like it was a few years ago and I was where I am now, no doubt I would have made this jump. The sacrifice to my family just would be too much right now I think. But MAN WOULD I LOVE a job in the watersports industry. Not selling boats, but selling brands, or sponsorship dollars.

And I stand corrected....50 is not old!! Pops just had his 49th birthday and I have been giving him hell about it. I even got him an "Old Guys Rule" t-shirt. :)

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Go with your instincts if you have workable plan, path forward and a spouse that can support your family. You will be second guessing yourself if the opportunity arises and you don't jump on it.

This is HUGE. I am struggling with it nightly. Hell, daily as well.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm in the same spot, age, etc as you although I already have an MBA..

So weird that there are so many of us in the Telcom Industry! 3 or 4 in this thread alone.

I wish I had gotten mine right after school. I was in a bit of a hard spot bc pops decided he was not going to give me a dime for college so I was on the 6 year plan to get finished. Lots of bar tending, an exotic car detailing business, selling newspaper subscriptions to the Atlanta Journal and Constitution in front of grocery stores (paid very well actually)

How many of you fellas are in the telecom industry by the way?

What does everyone do?'

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:25 PM

Tell me about it. My first degree was Marketing.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Start your own business doing what you love. Start small-- keep expenses down. Keep your current job in the meantime. Do it till you can't afford to go to your old job anymore. Good luck! Don't look back!

Easier said than done! :-)

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:28 PM
So I guess what I'm trying to say is follow your heart but provide for your family first. I was lucky, my wife has the same goals as me and isn't all about making more money, we both value happiness and TIME (be it with family, friends or doing your favorite activity) more then stuff (although a Moomba is stuff and it provides happiness). I'm 33.[/QUOTE]

Very solid advice....Family will ALWAYS come first. My wife sounds a lot like yours.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-18-2010, 10:29 PM
we need to have a few beers at Johnny's to hash this out . . .

I've gone the corporate route while a few of my friends have gone the entrepreneur route. For what it's worth, I'll give you my view on the pro's & con's of both. If you care to hear it, I'll also give you my view of what an MBA is worth from a monetary, career and personal perspective.

Absolutely. When are you free? Johnny's in Grayson?? PM me and we will set this up!

wolfeman131
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Absolutely. When are you free? Johnny's in Grayson?? PM me and we will set this up!

Yep Johnny's or Hail Mary Pub works for me. PM sent.

Jeff W
05-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I wish I had gotten mine right after school. I was in a bit of a hard spot bc pops decided he was not going to give me a dime for college so I was on the 6 year plan to get finished. Lots of bar tending, an exotic car detailing business, selling newspaper subscriptions to the Atlanta Journal and Constitution in front of grocery stores (paid very well actually)

How many of you fellas are in the telecom industry by the way?

What does everyone do?'

I got mine about 4 years after I graduated college. I was glad I waited - I got a LOT more out of it than I would have if I had gone right after my undergrad.

I work for a Cost Consultant. We do financial, accounting and plant consulting for rural (clec/ilec) phone companies.

kaneboats
05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Easier said than done! :-)

Nobody said it would be easy. Nothing worth having is easy. First off, iff you have work that will pay for education, get all you can. That's a no-brainer.

The thing about a side business is you can offset some of your taxable income in the beginning. Talk to a tax adviser recommended by a small business person you admire. You will learn a lot. Remember, it's not what you make; it's what you keep.

phospher
05-19-2010, 10:58 AM
your entitled to your opinion but if that is truely what he wants to do - I say go for it. There is a lot of "everything" out there in this world and that's not a reason NOT to do something. If it brings you joy, happiness, or a feeling of accomplishment then all the power to ya! Plus, I doubt highly that having one would hinder one's ability to be productive in society?

It's kind of like a Masters Degree..............It doesn't guarantee you more money or success or happiness! But it surely won't hurt you to have it in your tool belt!

I agree 100%.

wolfeman131
05-19-2010, 02:33 PM
if you have work that will pay for education, get all you can. That's a no-brainer.

I'm all for using someone else's money, but many companies that provide any type of educational compensation require a time commitment from you. In other words, if they pay then you have to stay. It's normally somewhere between an 18-24 month commitment. If you decide to leave, then you will have to repay.

So, if sign up for an 18-24 month Executive MBA program you will be at your employer for the next 3-4 years. That's a long time to be at a job/employer where you aren't happy.

Some companies also require that you maintain a "B" average.

WaterBullDawg1980
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm all for using someone else's money, but many companies that provide any type of educational compensation require a time commitment from you. In other words, if they pay then you have to stay. It's normally somewhere between an 18-24 month commitment. If you decide to leave, then you will have to repay.

So, if sign up for an 18-24 month Executive MBA program you will be at your employer for the next 3-4 years. That's a long time to be at a job/employer where you aren't happy.

Some companies also require that you maintain a "B" average.

Good point. I am lucky as I believe I am with the only company in my industry who does not require you stay. I would probably be right in assuming it has something to do with us being multinational more or less.

When I was with AT&T they made me pay back a small amount bc I left them before 1 year after my last reimbursement.