PDA

View Full Version : water coming from shaft?

ToddXLV
05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
My mechanic was changing the oil the other day. He's a car mechanic, not boat mechanic. He said that he saw water leaking from the drive shaft. I was trying to figure out how he could tell since the boat wasn't in the water but I didn't question him. Is this normal?

If not will the Indmar warranty cover that? I bought my XLV new in May 07 but it's a 2006 model. So it is right over 3 years now.

BTW, I put in Amsoil Marine fully synthetic.

brain_rinse
05-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Did he hook it up to water in order to bring it up to operating temp before changing the oil? (He should have...) If so he'd see water leaking from the dripless shaft seal, and that's normal.

cab13367
05-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Did he hook it up to water in order to bring it up to operating temp before changing the oil? (He should have...) If so he'd see water leaking from the dripless shaft seal, and that's normal.

Dan I don't think they had the dripless shaft seal on the 2006 XLV. At least my 2006 LSV does not.

Todd,

The shaft seal is designed to leak about one drop of water every 30 - 45 seconds. It keeps the packing rope lubricated. If it drips much more than that, then see the sticky'd articles in this section or the How To section about tightening the packing nut to reduce the dripping or replacing the packing rope if needed.

Al

ToddXLV
05-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Sounds like it's normal but I got to check it out while the boat is operating in the water. Our short stint of nice weather just went away Sunday. It looks like we have to wait a week or so?

I'm bringing the boat over to Eastern Washington on the Columbia River for Memorial Day weekend. We're staying at Crescent Bar. So we'll be on the water every day for about a week straight. Leaving next Wednesday.