PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Seadek

Razzman
05-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Ok so this subject will come up sooner or later so i'll post a solution now.

I had placed 3mm Cool Gray Seadek strips on my gunwale tops to use as step pads. Worked real well except that 3mm is not thick enough imo so i wanted to remove and try some 5mm Storm Gray. So i started to remove it and it leaves behind a very tacky glue surface that nothing seems to remove!

Researching the Seadek site i found a comment about using mineral spirits, let it site for 10 minutes then remove that with acetone. Worked like a charm without issue. Re-wax the surface and your done.

jmvotto
05-18-2010, 12:42 PM
try Goof Off much stronger than goo gone. but mineral spirits is much cheap i believe.

Ed, just make sure the gasoline is not from the two cycle weed wacker can.;)

Razzman
05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Neither Goof Off or Goo Gone will remove it, trust me. Now gas probably will take it off but i didn't want to use gas on the gelcoat so close to the upholstery. Not to mention using gas isn't exactly the safest method now is it? :cool:

jmvotto
05-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Neither Goof Off or Goo Gone will remove it, trust me. Now gas probably will take it off but i didn't want to use gas on the gelcoat so close to the upholstery. Not to mention using gas isn't exactly the safest method now is it? :cool:

Wow that is some Sticky stuff... like it should be:p

JesseC
05-23-2010, 10:23 PM
I haven't noticed that gas does any harm to the swim platform and you ain't supposed to be smoking a big fatty while using it.

Ed, I removed the sticky on my swim platform with gasoline as well. Worked really good and I got a decent buzz from it. My beer did taste funny that evening though....

kaneboats
05-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Funny. I'm drinking my brother's homemade beer tonight. It's a little varnishy, but I'm not removing a pad. Oh well.