PDA

View Full Version : Shaft packing upgrade

stretch55
05-17-2010, 05:35 PM
So I need to replace my shaft packing due to the fact that it is laeking a steady stream of water. So I called AWS today and they said that they have a no keak fully sealed upgrade kit for that and it runs abou $150. Around $300 installed but I am just gonna get the parts and do it myself. I was just wondering if anybody has done this and if there is any part of this upgrade that is a headache? Other then the location of course...

ian ashton
05-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't have any experiance with installing one, but my boat (allegedly) has it already, but for some reason my bilge is always full. Dealer said nothing is wrong, but the dripless shaft seal sure seems to drip on my boat, lol.

VA LSV
05-17-2010, 07:03 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=3524&highlight=dripless+shaft
I only needed a 2nd person to help push the shaft when installing the seal. Couldn't get enough leverage from inside the boat.

zabooda
05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Six years ago, I replaced the wax cord with a graphite cord with no leaks since. They have since come out with the Teflon cord. Either way, these cords hold up much better than the wax cords and I still can't figure out why they still use it.

cab13367
05-17-2010, 10:12 PM
stretch,

I was initially going to install the dripless shaft seal like the new Moombas have but I learned that the new packing ropes are a lot more durable and drip a lot less than the old wax packing rope, and cost less than $10 vs $150 for the dripless seal. So I thought I would give the new rope a chance and if it doesn't hold up after a couple seasons, then I may spend the $150 on the dripless. But for less than $10 and about 30 minutes of work, it was a no brainer for me. I figure a have a lot better things to spend $150 on.

Hope that helps.

Al

Sled491
05-17-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't have any experiance with installing one, but my boat (allegedly) has it already, but for some reason my bilge is always full. Dealer said nothing is wrong, but the dripless shaft seal sure seems to drip on my boat, lol.

I have the same issue, I believe the water is coming from somewhere else. I do take some comfort in the fact that you are having the same issue as me.

viking
06-16-2010, 12:27 AM
My bilge never had any water in it. Now I'm not so sure. I had it in the driveway today and started it up with the fake-a-lake plunger and water was streaming out of the shaft opening. I would imagine it goes the other way too??
Not sure what to do other than try and get it on the water and check? Why the heck would it start doing this out of the blue? Supposed to be dripless?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jchiZWfFAn8

ejojprop
06-16-2010, 06:36 AM
If the water was coming out of the shaft log, outside of the boat, it is because the seal system is water lubricated from the motor. Water is pumped to the seal and exits through the log down the shaft. The system is dripless as long as the alignment is good and the shaft does not wear one side or the other of the seal.

moombadaze
06-16-2010, 07:40 AM
its dripless into the boat

ejojprop
06-16-2010, 08:05 AM
If it is dripping in the boat then the seal itself is damaged. The seal can be replaced and the motor would need to be aligned.

viking
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Oh - OK. So it is normal then?
I've run it in my driveway before but never remember seeing so much water coming from shaft??

Tyger
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
stretch,

I was initially going to install the dripless shaft seal like the new Moombas have but I learned that the new packing ropes are a lot more durable and drip a lot less than the old wax packing rope, and cost less than $10 vs $150 for the dripless seal. So I thought I would give the new rope a chance and if it doesn't hold up after a couple seasons, then I may spend the $150 on the dripless. But for less than $10 and about 30 minutes of work, it was a no brainer for me. I figure a have a lot better things to spend $150 on.

Hope that helps.

Al

Cab, let us know how this goes and post pictures! If I can do this in roughly 30 minutes, I will be *all* over it. I hate my bilge running half the time we are on the water.

Sled491
06-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Oh - OK. So it is normal then?
I've run it in my driveway before but never remember seeing so much water coming from shaft??

It's all those party favours sitting on your fender that is clouding your thinking :D

viking
06-16-2010, 11:29 PM
It's all those party favours sitting on your fender that is clouding your thinking :D

Ok Ok - I deserve that :p
Just didn't remember so much water before. Then again, maybe I was numb and didn't care :)

cab13367
06-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Cab, let us know how this goes and post pictures! If I can do this in roughly 30 minutes, I will be *all* over it. I hate my bilge running half the time we are on the water.

Tyger,

Here you go:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10841

phospher
06-18-2010, 11:05 AM

I've put around 22/23 hrs on my boat this year and my bilge has not had enough water in it to run once yet. I've also spent several 6+ hours on the lake without the bilge running. You should check other thru-hull bolts for leakage. Check rudder port and all the swim deck mounts. You must have a leak some where...... Granted a little bit of water is fine but it sounds like you have a bigger leak. I would also double check your dripless shaft seal while your on the lake too.

Sled491
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
I always have water in my bilge. If the boat is in the water all day my pump will come on at least twice. I feel like the water is coming in like was mentioned through bolts and such. My drippless is just that drippless, I have never seen any water coming through it, so the water has to be coming through some where else, although when on the lift I don't see any water dripping from anywhere else. For now and the past I just live with it.

smokedog2
06-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I think you would be surprised the amount of water attached to riders coming in and out.

I'll check all this the 4th and see what I see. I take on a lot of water - dogs, kids, etc.