PDA

View Full Version : Some Amp/Speaker Advice Needed!!

squeeg333
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Alright guys, I am hoping someone can shed some light to my problem. Yesterday, I made an amplifier swap in the boat. I took out one of the amps (that was running the tower) moved the stock kicker 200.4 to control the touwer speakers, and installed a kicker 700.5 to control the cabin speakers, and eventually a sub.

Now, as far as I know, everything was running just fine with the previous setup (200.4 running cabin's, and Memphis audio amp running the towers).

Before hooking everything up, I did a continuity check on all the speakers so I knew which was which. They all checked out with with the 9V battery check. I hooked everything up, and turned it on. Those Polks sound awesome. However, for some reason, my Front Port speaker doesn't work. It checked just fine for continuity, so I thought maybe it was an amp issue. Well, I swapped the that right front and the right rear channels on the amp, and everything worked. So that shows me the speaker isn't faulty, and the amp isn't either. Well, I put the channels back to the way they were, and, the front doesn't work again.

I've got the 4 rear speakers (in parallel) running off of 'Amp 1' on the Kicker 700.5. Then, I've got the fronts running off of 'Amp 2'. I have one set of RCA inputs stright from the deck. The starboard front speaker works as it's set up now, but the port doesn't. The rest of the speakers work the way they are supposed to.

Do any of you guys have any advice on this? I haven't tried to put the Fronts on 'Amp 1' and the Rear's on 'Amp 2' yet, but that was my next move. I also thought I could run one front, and one rear off of 'Amp 1' and one front and one rear off of 'Amp 2'. But I didn't think that the amp would like having it split out like that.

I hope this makes sense, as it's a long post. But any advice you guys have would be awesome. I can't figure it out for the life of me!!

sandm
05-17-2010, 02:19 PM
switch the fronts and rears around to amp 1 and 2 and let us know what you find.
don't run an off-balance load to the fronts and rears. don't know for sure if it would damage it, but it doesn't sound like a wise idea.

let us know what you find when you swap them around.

philwsailz
05-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Find your fader control button on the end of the amp and push it in and out a few times. For a single RCA set, the switch button needs to be in the OUT position. There might be some junk in that got in switch preventing the signal from getting through, or it might be in sort of a "half-way in-and-out" position.

If no sound conmes through, try moving the RCA inputs to amp2 and see if both front speakers work. the back ones won't for this test, but it helps isolate potential problems.

Let us know what happens-

Phil
Kicker

squeeg333
05-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks so much for the advice guys. I appreciate it! I'm hoping to tackle this this afternoon, and I'll report back!

squeeg333
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks again guys. I tried all the easier options first, but none of them did anything. So, I swapped the fronts to Amp 2 and the rears to Amp 1. Everything looks and sounds to be working normally. Thanks so much for your help guys! I was almost about to pull what little of the hair I have left out.