PDA

View Full Version : First run this yeat - 46 lbs changes the way a ski rides

BensonWdby
05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
So I have lost 46 lbs since Valentines. Now my 68 inch Concept is handling like a surfboard compared to end of previous year. Good news is I think the new Radar Annex which had been sluggish for me last year, seems to be a little more skiable at this weight.

Water was cold - but no wet suit. Conditions were fair. Skiing - well - I am glad I am getting an early start. It's almost like learning from scratch. I have not skied at this weight in probably 20 years. Going to take some adjustment...

Waynes345
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Water was cold - but no wet suit. Conditions were fair. Skiing - well - I am glad I am getting an early start. It's almost like learning from scratch. I have not skied at this weight in probably 20 years. Going to take some adjustment...

Congratulations on the weight loss. If I lose that 46 I'll have a hell of a lot easier time getting up. I skied today as well and with a wetsuit. It was damn cold and I'm sure your lake was at least as cold, if not colder. Unfortunately, I went over the front of the ski and tore the laces right out of the top of the boot. That stinks since I just bought that ski last summer. I'll have to check on warranty.

kaneboats
05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Tough Valentine's Day? JK. How did you lose it?

jeffrogge
05-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I just lost 28lbs and everyone asks how I did it, that is a funny question. My standard response is "don't tell anyone but I found a thing called diet and exercise"

kaneboats
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
That's what I'm trying --for lack of a better plan. I can attest that drinking a six-pack every night and eating everything in site while sitting on your arse will not work.

jeffrogge
05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
that is funny, the whole eating like a hog thing didn't work for me.

BensonWdby
05-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Bit the bullet and paid for a plan - Slimgenics. What this has over other commercial plans is that you use mostly grocery store food. The idea is to learn how to eat right - nothing I did not already know, but being on a plan that you pay for seems to be the motivation I need to stay on track.

It is basically a 1500 cal/day diet, low salt, low carb, low fat. Lots of veggies and protein. But I started tracking the calories and how they were distributed and it was pretty balanced between protein, fat, and carbs. So that just means that my previous diet was way over carbed and over fat.

The give you a list of food that you can eat, and portions for each, in groups - protein, fruti, veg, starch, and a couple of theri high protein snacks. You just fit it all in any which way you can. I actually felt like I was eating more than when I was not dieting.

The real impact - my skiing... I seriously felt like I had never skied before. So I think I have the Annex setup now to where I can actually ski the way I remember. If not - could be time for new ski.. again...

viking
05-16-2010, 11:41 PM
With the weight loss did you have to get a new ski vest and wet suit too? :D

kaneboats
05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I've noticed that thinner people with a high metabolism eat all the time. But, they don't pack huge quantities at a time. They eat a little all day. If you do this and keep the motor burning all day it works better than eating a huge amount twice a day and telling your body "you better store this". So, this is my approach along with eliminating all the bad carbs. So far so good-- we'll see.

sandm
05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
congrats on the weight loss. I lost 30lbs a couple years ago and 10 or so have creeped back on. time to get back on the wagon again..

kane, you are on a good thought pattern. I remember seeing something a while ago about eating 5-6 small meals vs 2 makes your body store the energy(fat) differently and is a good way to lose weight..

Canuckle Head
05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Had my fist go of the seaon on the ol '86 Connelly HP Graphite yesterday. Probably the worst session I've had in a very long time. But, in my defence there was quite a chop on the water and I just couldn't seem to hold an edge. It didn't help that my wife was towing me at almost 38 mph! Man, if I had only taken the time to program the Perfect Pass........ I am a dumbass! My ankle is a bit sore from the last tumble before I called it a day.

BensonWdby
05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Several small meals helps you stay less hungry so you are less inclined to 'binge' on carbs - which seems to be a common choice when hungry - because theare are normally available and quick.

Did not need a new wetsuit or vest. I have hung on to mine for the last 20 years (for guests..) so just started wearing the old gear again. Of course now all the big stuff is going to lay-in-wait.

Sled491
05-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Dave, way to go. I dropped 25 last year myself. Mine was from getting off the road and skiing every day :)

A will follow your progress on the annex as this is one of the skiis I'm looking at. My buddy bought the Senate C which is supposed to be faster but he has yet to bring it out. I'm finding that while my Siege is also a slower ski, if I set myself up and ski correctly it is plenty fast. Although I say this at the beginning of May and after only 2 skiis under my belt this year :D

BensonWdby
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM
I am starting to get the Annex dialed in. Moved the binding back to the stock location, but have the back foot closer and slightly rotated. Just now getting the new body balance ting working and managing the preturn a bit better. Still not getting the kind of angle I would like across the wake, but not sure if that is the ski, the new balance issues, or just getting old...

But I am having more fun. Got three sets in today. Lots of turns without crashing, but one serious out-the-front. In all - happy with progress...

deerfield
07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
one serious out-the-front.

Benson - I'm curious about this and know I can learn from it. You went over the tip of the ski? I gather "out-the-front" was the result. What led up to it? Thanks. - Deerfield

Sled491
07-05-2010, 10:55 PM
My guess is on the off side after the second bump. Dave?

BensonWdby
07-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Yes out-the-front is straihgt over the tip. In this particular case it was more of a bail out than anything. I rarely crash in the pre-turn, but all of my really hard crashes happen there, going into the weakside turn.

For sure - off-side after trough. From time-to-time I get forward with the shoulders in an effort to get more ski in the water, rather than the hips - then it's all over. Last year I was getting hips into the turn a little better. But with the new ski and new body weight I am still finding the balance on the ski. I am getting over the back more, which really sucks... But I am working on it. Need to get weight more no the balls of my feet in the pre-turn and glide a bit. Doug had me working on 'square' turns - basically using the complete ski to make the turn, rather than force the ski to turn. I am still mulling over the whole change in style. I thought I understood it, but now not so sure. I think my biggest weakness was rushing the turn, starting the turn almost from the second wake.