PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!!

stretch55
05-15-2010, 09:41 PM
My drive line is leaking! It's a steady stream of water. There is a big bolt that the drive line 6" from where the drive line meets the tranny toward the back of the boat. Idk if there is a seal in there that is shot or if I can just tightn that bolt or what. Tomorrow I am going to try and tighten it. If that doesn't work then I will either take it apart and see if there is a seal in there or take it into the dealer and probably pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed. Unless of course one of you outstanding moomba forum members has an idea of what the problem could.

JesseC
05-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Are you referring to the packing nut that is located just before where the shaft exits the boat? If it is, you should see a large packing nut and a smaller locking nut. You will need to adjust it to where it just drips slowly. Do not overtighten it or you will burn the packing. I forget how often it is supposed to drip, but a steady stream is definately not what you want.

stretch55
05-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Are you referring to the packing nut that is located just before where the shaft exits the boat? If it is, you should see a large packing nut and a smaller locking nut. You will need to adjust it to where it just drips slowly. Do not overtighten it or you will burn the packing. I forget how often it is supposed to drip, but a steady stream is definately not what you want.

That's it! Which one do I adjust? The large one or the small one?

JesseC
05-15-2010, 09:57 PM
That's it! Which one do I adjust? The large one or the small one?

The large nut has anyewhere between 3-5 small pieces of impregnated rope that slows the flow of water past the nut. The water is used to lube the nut as it turns on the shaft to keep it from overheating. All you have to do is loosen the skinny nut away from the packing nut. Then just reach down with your hand and tighten the large paking nut until the water stops running in steadily. I think it is supposed to drip 1-2 drops every thirty seconds, but I do not remember. When the packing nut is where you want it, just tighten the skinny locking nut back against the packing nut. You can use a large set of Channel locks to loosen the skinny nut, BUT DO NOT USE TOOLS on the packing nut. It does not tighten very tight. I do this adjustment while on the water so I know when to stop tightening. When the flow slows to a drop or so every few seconds, stop tightening and lock er down and go back to riding!!

cab13367
05-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Stretch,

To add to what Jesse said, you will need to bring two channel locks as you will need to tighten the lock nut (the skinny nut) against the packing nut so you need one on each.

Also, ideally, you want 1 drop of water every 30-45 seconds when the boat is in the water, in gear at idle speed. If you have the packing nut bottomed out and its still leaking too much, then it's time to replace the packing rope.

See the how to post I did below as well as the one from Brian Raymond (of Indmar?).

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10841

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10032

stretch55
05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks so much Jesse and Al! You guys rock!