PDA

View Full Version : Check Ya Self....for Ticks!

tysonma
05-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Hey guys!
I'm laid up in the hospital going on 5 days now. They are treating me for what is called Ehrlichiosis. It's very similiar to Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever, however I don't have the rash that goes with it. I tried to spend a couple days toughing it out, but a fever of 104.8 finally brought me to the ER saturday night, where they sent me home. I had to come back becasue symptoms cntinued, and I was admitted later the next day.
In brief, Though I've felt much better the last 36 hrs (I think they may let me go home today) The previous 6 days there has been about a 3 hr window where I felt fine. The other 21 hrs of the day consist of battling a fever (it once went from 95.5 to 103 in less than an hour), sweats that soaked to the mattress, followed by chills I could not control, bodyaches, headaches, vomiting, confusion, etc.
Anyways, to the point of the thread, this comes from a tick. I didn't find a tick, or remember getting bit, nor did I have a rash or anything afterwards. Doc said thats not uncommon, however the virus itself is. (I'm in Indiana, and I'm 1 of about 5 who will get this this year, in the state) I haven't been in the woods, only on various baseball fields, as I coach a high school team. So I'm assuming thats where I picked up the tick, and it pulled a bite-and-run on me. Luckly, I'm a pretty healthy 27 year old, and have responded well to the meds.
So, as you guys come to and from the boat, cookout in the backyard, come back from a ball game, etc. it might not be a bad idea to check yourself, and the kiddos out, to make sure they dont have a tick, or have been bitten. I sound like my mother saying that, but if you can prevent a family member from getting any tick-borne virus, you'll be thanksful!

Cya Guys!

Tyson

wolfeman131
05-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Tyson,

WOW! Glad you're feeling better and thanks for a good reminder to us all as we kick off summer.

My uncle got lyme disease from a tick and really hasn't been the same since. He's a farmer and could have gotten it anywhere throughout his workday. The guy literally was strong as an ox and could outwork anybody I knew. He just doesn't have the overall strength and endurance since.

deerfield
05-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Tyson - Appreciate your taking time to remind us of this danger and to do a little inspecting after a day at the lake. Hope you are back on your feet soon 100% ready for the water. - Deerfield

kaneboats
05-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Ditto here! Hope you are 100% well again soon. Thanks for the warning!