PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Ski Fin Wing

Waynes345
05-13-2010, 05:48 PM
My Triumph came with a wing, my daughters Jr Allegiance came with a wing, but my son's Siege didn't. His fin is drilled for one and I'd like to add one as he is planning on getting serious this summer. I've looked in all the usual places and websites, including manufacturers sites and I can't locate one. Anyone know where I can find a wing?

BensonWdby
05-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Last one I got was from Doug at:

http://www.theliquidedge.com/

Waynes345
05-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Last one I got was from Doug at:

http://www.theliquidedge.com/

Thanks for the quick response!

maxpower220
05-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Any reason that you want to add one? The real effect of the wing is only noticable at advance levels of skiing. Most people (at my level) "adjust" them and make things worse. There are so many other adjustments to the fin (position for/aft, depth) that adding another variable makes progress slow.

BensonWdby
05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Definitely some truth to that Max. I typically ski with a wing but I bet I could adjust it 2 degrees one way or the other and barely tell. Too many other defects that overshadow the benefits.

The thing with the wing it that you can always take it off (unless you buy a fixed wing from Schnitz).

My problem is that my skiing is so inconsistent that can't tell if it is my setup or my form causing the problem at any one point in time. But skiing faster and shorter has brought a new enlightment to the picture. I actually feel more in touch with the ski and things feel like thay have slowed down... odd - but true...

maxpower220
05-13-2010, 09:21 PM
But skiing faster and shorter has brought a new enlightment to the picture. I actually feel more in touch with the ski and things feel like thay have slowed down... odd - but true...

I know what you are saying, I free ski at 34/36mph. But I can only get through the course at 30-32. The speed really does give a lot more "feel". I have time to ski, but it always seems that the weather/water is not good unless I am at work. I need more consistant practice.

BensonWdby
05-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Schnitz claims to have invented the wing. Here is a link to his wing page

http://www.schnitzskis.com/finswings.html

If you poke around his site you will find lots of good technical data and somewhere in there is a description of the functions of the wing. Note that the wing is basically a 'brake'.

I remember when they first came out. Before them you relied strictly on shifting weight forward to slow down. And the wing relies on this as well, it just aids in the braking. Note that people were skiing the course at short rope at 36 before there were wings and hardshell boots. At Ski Paradise they have a 3 foot long 2x4 with no fin nor bidings that at least one skier has made a full pass at 15 off at 28 on ( think that is true, check my mythbusters page)

So if you do get a wing for him the optimal setting seems to be 9 degrees?

moombabound
05-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Just to add an opinion. Not my opinion, but that of a seasoned instructor who I took my one and only lesson from last year, that to rec ski (I'm 15-28 off @ 32-34 MPH...I don't have regular access to a course, so just free ski) the wing would only serve to add resistance and cause fatigue to set in early. I removed it, and did notice the loss of pre-turn deceleration, but my primary objective is to ski longer when I do get behind the rope, so will leave it off. Course-goers would benefit from wing; free-skiers would benefit without.

Waynes345
05-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Well, I've certainly learned a few things here. I guess I hadn't put much thought into the physics of the whole thing and assumed since the new skis were coming with wings, they all should have them. I'll have to do some more reading but it sounds like the consensus for free skiing is there is no benefit to adding a wing. Always liked the simplicity of skiing, but just as with anything, taking the next step is a learning experience. My son has been washing the tail out and I thought that wing would keep it down, maybe there is something else going on there and we'll have to experiment this summer. Planning on the first runs of the year tomorrow. Thanks all for the input.

zabooda
05-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Washing the tail out would be a weight balance issue where either the skier is leaning too far back and/or the bindings need to move forward to center the weight. I tend to do that when I get tired.

BensonWdby
05-14-2010, 10:33 PM
For sure you gotta look at the preturn, where the eyes are looking, and how much ski is in the water going into the turn, and where the hands are. If the hands are high then he is probably leaning back to initiate the turn.