PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Decals!

Garn
05-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I want to remove the "LS" stickers on the outside of my boat. How the heck do I do that without scratching the crap out of my gelcoat?

Thanks,

Garn

brain_rinse
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
On an 07 they should still peel right off without much issue. A heat gun or even a hairdryer and some fingernails should take care of it.

Razzman
05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Soften the edge up with a hair dryer and pull it back. Then just keep the hair dryer on the decal as you pull back.

jmvotto
05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Soften the edge up with a hair dryer and pull it back. Then just keep the hair dryer on the decal as you pull back.

2nd that, clean up residual glue with goo gone.

mmandley
05-13-2010, 08:40 AM
IDK about a hair dryer lol.

When i did mine this is how i did it. I used a heat gun from harbor freight 9.99

Heat a section about the size of your hand up. If you cant touch it, its too hot then LOL.

Run your finger over an edge, when its hot enough it will roll under your finger and then you can grab it and pull it gently off.

I found of i applied heat to the stickers as i was pulling the vynal would shrivel and break really fast.

I used good ole fashion MeGuries Marine compound to remove the glue, then re-waxed it.

Im sure a hair dryer will work with the heat it puts out but i was removing tons of stickers and Claudia wasn't going to lend me her $80 salon dryer LOL.

kennedy
05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
I just did the same thing to my MOOMBA XLV GG.

I like the naked look that the boat has now.

Razzman
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Mike it shriveled and broke because it got too hot. All you need to do is warm the glue that way the vinyl still holds rigidity. If you do use a heat gun you have to keep it moving rapidly around the decal so one area doesn't get too hot.

squeeg333
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I am assuming this hair dryer trick work for the warning label stickers around the boat? I'd like to remove some of them. I think 15 around the boat is a little overkill (okay, 15 may be a bit high, but you get my point!)

newty
05-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I am assuming this hair dryer trick work for the warning label stickers around the boat? I'd like to remove some of them. I think 15 around the boat is a little overkill (okay, 15 may be a bit high, but you get my point!)

The day I got the boat home I ripped every interior sticker out of my boat.
The only ones left is the CG capacity sticker and the "warranty void if removed" sticker off the tower.

They are all just warning and info stickers, and they are all ugly.
They were easy to get off because they were only a week or two old.

The rest of the boat soon followed.
And now you know... The rest of the story!

newty
05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I just did the same thing to my MOOMBA XLV GG.

I like the naked look that the boat has now.

That XLV looks great like that!

bslide
05-13-2010, 01:08 PM
hey kennedy, that a nice looking boat. what kinda tint do you have on the windows? is it still easy to look through?

mmandley
05-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Mike it shriveled and broke because it got too hot. All you need to do is warm the glue that way the vinyl still holds rigidity. If you do use a heat gun you have to keep it moving rapidly around the decal so one area doesn't get too hot.

Your right it was too hot LOL. I learned after the first side decal was off. LOL

Sled491
05-13-2010, 06:14 PM
The pros use a heat gun, but they understand too hot. If joe blow boat owner uses a hair dryer it will be very unlikely that you will damage your gel coat. I took all mine off with a heat gun but we used to own a window tinting company so I'm kind of used to the heat.

jmvotto
05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
yep, heat gun Too hot for Joe blow. so this joe blow used one of many hair dryers in the house ( 4 girls and my wife) to replace a decal:p

kennedy
05-13-2010, 10:33 PM
This winter was long and SNOWY!!

So I took the heat gun to the XLV stickers the boat came with.

We then tore into the stereo. Started with a NEW Clarion M309 and (2) NEW Clarion remotes. I also added the IPOD hook-up along with the XM radio.

I then added (2) more Kicker ZX AMPS with a Kicker KQ30 crossover

From there we cut in (4) NEW Kicker 6.5in speakers in the lower floor of the boat. If you go to my profile you can see some of the pictures I have put on there.

We were feeling a little bored from there so we then build a NEW sub-box and I added a 10in Kicker sub that POUNDS!!!

To say the least this system ROCKS!!!!

I then took the boat to my local glass shop and they completed the TINT. We choose a 20% because we do get out some at night and there is a fine line when the sun goes down where you cannot see if it is much darker than that.

I will post some more pictures; we are taking a long weekend and will be on the water by NOON Friday!!!

Glad summer is here!!!

kaneboats
05-14-2010, 10:22 AM
I really like those near the floor. Like the matching color grills too, very slick.