PDA

View Full Version : How to test Ballast

walb0244
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I had a issue with my ballast pumps and all last time I went out on the lake. Guys helped me figure that issue out I think. But is there a way to test the ballast system without putting the boat on the lake and running it. I mean my problem was the bags all filling when going across the lake. Is there a way I can hook a garden hose up to be able to check these. I wouldn't fill the bags all the way because that is just alot of extra weight but I would like to be able to test this before I drive 45 minutes to the lake. Also, when at the lake I'm limited on tools.

kaneboats
05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't see how you could simulate lake conditions, i.e., the boat sitting in the water and moving such that water is forced into the intake.

walb0244
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Well my thoughts were kinda like a fake a lake thing. If the water hose has pressure that would be some what like if the boat was moving across the lake. Maybe not as much pressure but if I hook a hose up and the pumps are off and the bags start filling then something is still wrong I would think.

walb0244
05-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Was thinking something maybe like this but put on the intake for the pumps instead of the motor.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9962

kaneboats
05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
You could certainly try it. I made one of those for the Outback but haven't used it on the LSV yet for the cooling intake or the ballast intake.

cab13367
05-12-2010, 03:03 PM
The fake a lake should work. Did you check the little black levers and were they in the open position? If they were, then that is almost definitely the problem.

viking
05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I have a fake-a-lake and used it a week ago when I started up the boat for the first time. Also used it to fill my rear bag after I changed out the sprinkler valve as I wanted to test the fill and drain as well. Worked just fine!

flex
05-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Was thinking something maybe like this but put on the intake for the pumps instead of the motor.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9962
don't forget the brick...LOL.

mmandley
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Honestly for the problem your wanting to trouble shoot a Fake a Lake wont do it. There is no real pressure in that. The Fake a Lake is designed to pool water in the cap, then the boat can suck it in. This is also a garden hose feed. Maybe 5PSI is that.

You issue is water filling while under way. You are easily generating 50PSI on the scooper when running the boat across a lake. The Fake a Lake wont show you this it will just overflow around the hull.

The Fake a Lake will allow you to fill the ballast and check all your fitting and such but will do nothing to pressurize you manifold to make sure there is no blow by.

cab13367
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
This is also a garden hose feed. Maybe 5PSI is that.

Alright Mike, I am going to have to call BS on that one :) Pic below is from my backyard spigot.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_6496.jpg

brain_rinse
05-14-2010, 01:21 PM
If the goal is to verify that your valves seal tightly and open individually, you could just pull the 1 1/8" hose that goes from pump to manifold off. Instead of using the plunger style fake-a-lake make something like this: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9968

mmandley
05-15-2010, 09:28 AM
HAHA AL that was awesome. Well you got a lot better pressure them my home course yours is a lot newer. I cant run the washer and take a shower at the same time.

I still say you cant test the ballast sprinkler valves off the garden hose. Thats my story and im sticking to it.

DOCDRS
05-15-2010, 09:38 AM
it all has to do with volume......so if you can fill a 5 gallon pail in 30 seconds with your garden hose then you are putting out about 10gpm......the basic sprinkler ballast system generally won't be using any more than this (not yours steroid enhanced one Mike) and as most residential water pressure should be between 60 - 80 psi it may work........but if you cant keep up with the demand as mike states you won't have enough pressure to test for blow by

my.02

brain_rinse
05-15-2010, 10:45 AM
I tried it yesterday and couldn't get the pumps to prime.

cab13367
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Mike,

Thought u would get a kick out of that! I bought that gauge when I was thinking about putting in a drip irrigation system for my wife's garden at the last house. So when I saw ur post, it reminded me that I had that gauge so I decided to check the pressure here. Sorry to hear you've got low pressure at your 'hood.

Doc,

Remember that the op wants to check if his ballast will autofill so whatever pressure is generated by the scupper at speed is what he is trying to duplicate. I don't know how to calculate that.

Al

mmandley
05-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Mike,

Thought u would get a kick out of that! I bought that gauge when I was thinking about putting in a drip irrigation system for my wife's garden at the last house. So when I saw ur post, it reminded me that I had that gauge so I decided to check the pressure here. Sorry to hear you've got low pressure at your 'hood.

Doc,

Remember that the op wants to check if his ballast will autofill so whatever pressure is generated by the scupper at speed is what he is trying to duplicate. I don't know how to calculate that.

Al

Its all good Al lol. I prolly need to have my lines checked anyhow. I think i might have a cracked feed pipe under the garage. I just hate to think about that in the summer. Im not about to spend 2K on a plumber to dig me a new pipe. Id rather go on paying an extra 50 a month for a few months in water bills. I know it all adds in the end but 2K now is my fuel budget this summer. To me water to board in is more important then water to the house. LOL. I know i am such a man in this situation, "Claudia, yes dear thats right you want a shower goto the lake with a bar of soup" LOL sure that will fly right? LOL

DOCDRS
05-15-2010, 02:36 PM
This is not difficult but at 75 psi you will basically get about 173 ft per sec or 120mph of velocity, way more pressure than you will ever develop at your scupper . so there should be plenty of pressure to test your system ........the trick is you have to hook your hose up directly to your intake line and have no leakage. So Al is right very tough to duplicate unless you can control your water pressure . In that case 12.5 psi would give you the equivalent of about 20mph at 40 mph around 25psi

viking
06-16-2010, 12:57 AM
I couldn't get my pump to prime today either trying to test my ballast!

I also was going to make a "homemade" fake-a-lake as I'm tired of the plunger. Is that 1inch Inside diameter hose everyone is using? I bought some 1 1/4 OD Hot Tub hose at Home Depot but couldn't get the hose clamps tight enough on them. The ID was too big and kept breaking hose clamps trying to seal it off on the intake??

Thanks!

walb0244
06-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Forgot about this thread of mine. I did hook it all up. I was able to test what I wanted to partly. When I was on the lake the problem was that even when stopped if I turned on one pump it would pump water to all the bags. So I was able to check that part and make sure I could control each bag seperate. I wasn't able to check to see if it would fill going across the lake. No biggie. It seemed to fix it all. Only thing I get now is the front bag fills with air when going to the lake.