PDA

View Full Version : Water in my Oil Update

98outback
05-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Well after doing testing adn narrowing it down they came to the conclusion that the head gasket needed to be replaced. While doing this they visually inspected the head on the starboard side of the engine. Well after it was all put back together and ran on the hose it is still getting water in the oil once the boat has warmed up. They now believe the head has a crack in it that was not visible so they are sending it to get magna fluxed. SO i guess even here in florida I am going to have to start using anitfreeze when I winterize. Who would have thought. They are atleast saying it would be considered freeze damage if the head or block has a crack in it so my insurance will take care of it.

cab13367
05-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Real sorry to hear it, 98. So you did winterize it and u still got freeze damage??

kaneboats
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear it too. So glad you have the freeze coverage.

98outback
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I did winterize it except for running anti freeze in it. I always did my outback teh same way and never had any problems. I think it is because here in jax we had 10 - 11 days straight that it never got above freezing which is odd for florida.

zabooda
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
You don't need antifreeze but you need to ensure all of the water is out prior to the cold weather. Engine draining is the easiest and should never be a problem. Get rid of any petcocks as they trap debris and sand. My concern with winterization is around the engine water pump and I will put some antifreeze in the pump area.

DOCDRS
05-12-2010, 08:18 PM
You don't need antifreeze but you need to ensure all of the water is out prior to the cold weather. Engine draining is the easiest and should never be a problem. Get rid of any petcocks as they trap debris and sand. My concern with winterization is around the engine water pump and I will put some antifreeze in the pump area.

he is right if it was drained before the cold weather you don't need antifreeze. so why do you think the head cracked? That would be the last to crack if it was drained incompletely ii would think! and double the petcock thing and always poke a wire in the drain as they get blocked with rust. now i'm curious . oh and do you have a diff boat now or still the outback?

98outback
05-13-2010, 06:31 AM
I dont know to much about engines as far as what goes first. It is at the dealer right now. I have a supra ssv with the 5.7tbi now. I actually removed the petcocks and put soild plugs so I the hole is completely open when I removed them.

98outback
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
The dealer called me today and said that my heads are good according to the machine shop after they were magna fluxed. So now they need to look more into the engine. They original said one cylinder on the starboard side had low compression so that meant it was the head gasket. They have now replaced the riser gaskets, manifold gaskets, head gaskets and now had the heads inspected. I dont know much about engines but what else could it be now other than the block itself? Is there a way to test the block with out removing it from the boat or test each cylinder for cracks? This is becoming a long process. I hoped to have the boat back by memorial day weekend at the latest but that isnt going to happen now.

mmandley
05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Only other way i can really think water can get in the oil is if the cylinder head its self cracked. When you drain the block that's what you are looking at in that little hole, the cylinder walls.

maxpower220
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
It should go without saying, but the heads or the block could be warped. Most of the time, that happens when the engine overheats, but freezing water is extremely powerful. A precise straightedge can be used to check it, but that isn't the best way. Pulling the engine and breaking it down to have the block magna-fluxed is labor intensive.

Maybe it is time to check with your insurance company. It may be cheaper to replace the engine with a new one.

DOCDRS
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
did they do a pressure test on the cooling system to eliminate the exhaust and confirm its block,head or intake problem? not an expert but seems first logical step

98outback
05-20-2010, 08:08 AM
As far as I know they did do a leak down test. I assume that would be on teh cooling system but Im no mechanic so I will check with them this morning. My insurance company is already involved with this. BoatUS said that they are actually having a lot of freeze damage claims here in north east florida.

moombadaze
05-20-2010, 08:28 AM
BoatUS said that they are actually having a lot of freeze damage claims here in north east florida.

With the last winter we had Im not suprised at all.

98outback
05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I heard back from the dealer last week and the heads were fine after being magnafluxed. Turns out cylinder #5 was cracked. No really sure how it all happened because it was the first time in the water for the year and only in for a couple minutes. BoatUS covered it under freeze damage. They were great to deal with. A new engine is already being installed as I type this. I filed a claim, they assigned me an adjuster, The adjuster had a surveyor go out and check it out and then a week later they settle the claim. If you are looking for a new insurance company defiantely check them out.

moombadaze
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Thats a good outcome

zegm
05-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I heard back from the dealer last week and the heads were fine after being magnafluxed. Turns out cylinder #5 was cracked. No really sure how it all happened because it was the first time in the water for the year and only in for a couple minutes. BoatUS covered it under freeze damage. They were great to deal with. A new engine is already being installed as I type this. I filed a claim, they assigned me an adjuster, The adjuster had a surveyor go out and check it out and then a week later they settle the claim. If you are looking for a new insurance company defiantely check them out.

We did 2 years ago and their prices are the best! Not only that the price went down this year!!! Now who does that!?