PDA

View Full Version : Temp Gauge Falls Through Dash

Sharkus
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
I have a 2005 Mobius XLV I purchased new.

About 2 years ago the temperature gauge broke free and fell backwards through the dash. Investigation shows that the dashboard material holding that gauge is very thin and fragile and has cracked.

Of course, its a very bad idea to be without a temp gauge, so the gauge current lives propped up on the outside of its proper home.

Any tips on a good way to reinforce the dash and fix this issue? Is this common?

mmandley
05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
If this was on my boat i would go with Rubber Cement. Coat it on the gauge and slide it in the space it was in. The cement will harden and fill in the gap, this will then look factory again. This will also still be soft enough to remove the gauge if needed at a later date.

RTV sealer will work very well also but is a much more permanent route.

Sharkus
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks. Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a shot.

maxpower220
05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I would pull the dash apart and fiberglass the broken/weak area. Then I would re-drill the hole and reinforce any area I had concerns about. Of course, this would take me a week and that is not a good thing in the summer.

kaneboats
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I would pull the dash apart and fiberglass the broken/weak area. Then I would re-drill the hole and reinforce any area I had concerns about. Of course, this would take me a week and that is not a good thing in the summer.

Yea. I think rubber cement till winter when I could do it right. :)