PDA

View Full Version : Gas Filler on Left Side

walb0244
05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I don't like the fact that my Moomba just has a gas filler cap on the right side of the boat. Has anyone added a filler cap on the left side of the boat? I was thinking about just putting a y in the filler hose and running one to the left side of the boat. Figure this way which ever side I go to will be fine for filling.

P.S. I don't like the filler being on the right side because my truck is on the left side. Thus when I pull up to pumps I can't fill up the truck and boat at same time. I know it's pretty dumb.

cab13367
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I don't like the fact that my Moomba just has a gas filler cap on the right side of the boat. Has anyone added a filler cap on the left side of the boat? I was thinking about just putting a y in the filler hose and running one to the left side of the boat. Figure this way which ever side I go to will be fine for filling.

P.S. I don't like the filler being on the right side because my truck is on the left side. Thus when I pull up to pumps I can't fill up the truck and boat at same time. I know it's pretty dumb.

Mine's the same way. I just live with it. But I don't see any problem with what you are proposing.

brain_rinse
05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I think it's a great idea and should be fairly low cost. You'd need to wye into the vent line as well, not just the filler line. And need to use fittings approved for fuel of course. I like it though - good thinking.

04OUTBACK
05-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I think Supra's have filler on both sides.. maybe you could get feedback from them.

moombadaze
05-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Supra's do have them on both sides-at least the 24' that was on display at the Atlanta jam in 08

kaneboats
05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Thus when I pull up to pumps I can't fill up the truck and boat at same time. I know it's pretty dumb.

It's not dumb at all. I tow into GA and stop for gas near the ramp. It's about 12 cents cheaper in GA so I like to fill the truck and the boat. Well on a Sat. morning or early afternoon you can barely get in and out of the station. It's a PITA to have to hit one pump on the way in and circle around and hit a second one on the way out.

dusty2221
05-11-2010, 09:40 AM
My Supra has it on the right (wrong) side too. Drives me absolutly nuts. let me know what you come up with.

New Guy
05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
That would be cool. I don't know how many times I pulled up to the pump on the wrong side.

sandm
05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
right side here as well. a supra as well...
sucks, but I've learned to live with it..

kaneboats
05-11-2010, 11:43 AM
With my Outback I could pull close and stretch the gas hose right across to the other side -- no problem. With the LSV none of them will reach.

walb0244
05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
So does anyone see a issue with this at all? I'm just thinking putting a "Y" in the filler hose and in the vent hose and just running hose to the other side.

brain_rinse
05-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't see any issues. I'd would try to take a look at a Supra that has it to see how it's done from the factory, then duplicate that if possible. Oh, and start mentally preparing for that big hole you'll need to drill in your boat. :)

Razzman
05-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I like to fill the boat back up on the way home from the lake, that way i only have to worry about filling the truck if at all the next time out.

cab13367
05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
So does anyone see a issue with this at all? I'm just thinking putting a "Y" in the filler hose and in the vent hose and just running hose to the other side.

I don't see any issues other than just finding the right hoses and the right Y to fit the hoses. The fill hose is pretty big, and pretty stiff. You also have to over the V-drive/transmission so if you have the GIII system, the sprinkler valves might be in the way.

walb0244
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
My father in law owns a body shop so I don't think finding the hoses and "Y" will be that difficult to do. If need be I could do this just before it goes into the tanks under the floor and not have to worry about things being in the way as much.

wolfeman131
05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
why not be an obnoxious a-hole and park in the middle, between 2 sets of pumps and run one hose to the truck one to the boat?

kaneboats
05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
You must be from Ohio.

New Guy
05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
why not be an obnoxious a-hole and park in the middle, between 2 sets of pumps and run one hose to the truck one to the boat?

I cannot say I haven't done that8-)

mmandley
05-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I used to piss and moan each time we went to fill up last summer because the truck is on the left and the boat was on the right. After waiting 15 minutes in line to get the truck up there and fill, then i had to circle the station and wait again for the boat. Sometimes we spent an hour at the local station.

Well now its no issue as Black Betty takes Diesel and the station i love is Gas only LOL. Betty will get filled the night before and the boat the morning of. I prefer to fill the boat with my crew so they see how much Fierah drinks LOL.

Used to work better as they saw the gas bill on Blue also. Well cant have it all i guess.

Black Betty hurts the gas card more then Blue but Betty does get better milage in the long run.

newty
05-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Never thought about adding another filler. Even though I hate filling on that side!
Hmmmmm...:-D
Imma definly gonna look into er.

viking
05-11-2010, 11:31 PM

ooohhhhh - I'll bet you get cussed :eek:

kaneboats
05-12-2010, 09:58 AM
He doesn't do that. I've seen the Wolfeman fill system and his pickup load of gas cans.

walb0244
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Found the filler neck on the Perko website. Cost is around 40 bucks for the filler neck. Still checking into prices and everything right now.

cab13367
05-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Found the filler neck on the Perko website. Cost is around 40 bucks for the filler neck. Still checking into prices and everything right now.

Sounds like a great, first of a kind, how to post in the making.

brain_rinse
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a great, first of a kind, how to post in the making.
I agree. And thanks for keeping us updated on your progress!

brain_rinse
05-15-2010, 02:07 AM
I looked closer at my gas tank filler cap, and the hull is shaped differently around the cap to allow it to mount flush. That might present a problem unless the filler can handle a curved surface.

jester
05-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Alot of newer boats are doing this already. I do not know why Moomba has not picked up on this. With the gas station I go too the hose is long enought to reach the other side of the truck so i can fil both truck and boat at same time. At other stations ring around the pump I go.

cab13367
05-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Alot of newer boats are doing this already. I do not know why Moomba has not picked up on this.

Because the Moomba line is a price point/value oriented product. It's the same reason why it doesn't come with the retractable ski pylon, swivel racks, ss rub rail, etc. standard. That's what the Supra line is for.

I have to shake my head every time I read a post about why the Moomba doesn't have this or that feature that someone saw on a Supra, MC, Malibu, etc. Remember, we bought the Honda equivalent in the car world so we shouldn't expect it to have all the bells and whistles that the Acura, Lexus, Mercedes have.

walb0244
05-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't view my boat as the Honda. I view my boat as the Chevy and the Supra as the GMC. That is how I feel about it.

badasshybrid
05-16-2010, 05:28 PM
At the station around here the hoses are long enough to reach across my boat.

jester
05-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Because the Moomba line is a price point/value oriented product. It's the same reason why it doesn't come with the retractable ski pylon, swivel racks, ss rub rail, etc. standard. That's what the Supra line is for.

I have to shake my head every time I read a post about why the Moomba doesn't have this or that feature that someone saw on a Supra, MC, Malibu, etc. Remember, we bought the Honda equivalent in the car world so we shouldn't expect it to have all the bells and whistles that the Acura, Lexus, Mercedes have.

Al, I understand that Moomba is a price point boat. There are differnt bells and whistels that a Moomba does not have and I agree with. There are some other things that Moomba is behind the times with. I know that Malibu's old price point boat before the Axis has dual fuel points. I have not seen an Axit so I do not know if they also have dual fuel points.

viking
05-16-2010, 11:38 PM

AMEN already! :)

cab13367
05-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Al, I understand that Moomba is a price point boat. There are differnt bells and whistels that a Moomba does not have and I agree with. There are some other things that Moomba is behind the times with. I know that Malibu's old price point boat before the Axis has dual fuel points. I have not seen an Axit so I do not know if they also have dual fuel points.

Yeah, it's a tough call for the guys deciding what bells and whistles to add and what not too. The guy making these decisions at Moomba and at Malibu obviously have differing opinions. I bet that if you look hard enough, there will be something the Moomba has that the Malibu pricepoint boat does not. The hydraulic wakeplate for example is one significant feature that Moomba includes that another manufacturer might not.

newty
05-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Saw this on WW today thought it was right up our alley.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=954&stc=1&d=1268795552

KRAK
07-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Sooooooo......... has anyone done this yet? It's definitely something I want to do, but I dont want to be the first ;)

WaterBullDawg1980
07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
All you folks are just driving the wrong vehicles imo. My Touareg has the cap on the right side just like the LSV. Just fill it up on the lake. It was only a smoooooth 4.83 on Lanier Wednesday.

brain_rinse
07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Sooooooo......... has anyone done this yet? It's definitely something I want to do, but I dont want to be the first ;)
Someone has to go first... :) I found this but never took it further: http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/37_452_699-boat-engines-engine-parts-and-accessories-fuel-fittings-and-hardware/7297-perko-perko-1-12-inch-vented-gasoline-boat-deck-fill.html

E4NASH
07-06-2012, 11:04 PM
All you folks are just driving the wrong vehicles imo. My Touareg has the cap on the right side just like the LSV. Just fill it up on the lake. It was only a smoooooth 4.83 on Lanier Wednesday.

Where? I paid $4.79 at Bald Ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpetty3023
07-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Seems like a lot of work over something pretty simple as putting gas in the tow rig before hooking your boat up and heading to lake. I may be spoiled in the fact thou that my ramp is less than 5 mins away and I pass 2 gas stations on the way. 3 if you count the marina gas

Sent from my home phone..

KRAK
04-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Someone has to go first... :)

Fine. Wish me luck!
I can't for the life of me find that wye in this picture.....17095

Skent
04-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I agree. If there's only one filler on the boat, it should be on the left.

kaneboats
04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
I should probably get in the habit of filling the boat on the way home. Then I don't have to stop on the way to the water and I have all week to get the truck full.

rdlangston13
04-03-2013, 10:22 PM
I agree. If there's only one filler on the boat, it should be on the left.

It's on the right because when docking a fuel dock its easier to pull up on the right hand side

Sent from my iPhone

moombahighrider
04-03-2013, 10:43 PM
It's on the right because when docking a fuel dock its easier to pull up on the right hand side

Sent from my iPhone

That is a great point. I have never thought about from that angle....

Make sense to me.

kaneboats
04-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Kid's smarter than he looks, ain't he. :D

KRAK
04-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Boy it's hard working up the courage to drill a hole that big in the side of the boat!

KG's Supra24
04-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Nice work! That's a hell of a mod. You will like that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

brain_rinse
04-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Boy it's hard working up the courage to drill a hole that big in the side of the boat!

You did it! Ok, some details for the copy cats?

kaneboats
04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Props to you for gittin' her done!

KRAK
04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
You did it! Ok, some details for the copy cats?

Practice drilling on a piece of wood first!!!!!
Then practice again!

Getting the vent part through takes a little filing.

Only drilled the holes and mounted the neck last night. Doubled up some foam weatherstripping and it formed to the ridges on the side nicely. Looks like it belongs.
I'll plumb it this weekend, hopefully.

brain_rinse
04-05-2013, 02:16 PM
This would be a good how-to thread if you are up for it. Pictures and part numbers, step-by-step, etc.

KRAK
06-05-2013, 12:44 AM
The filler neck I got my dealer to order for $60. The hose's and tee's from a local hydraulic supplier. 1745417455Install was easy. Drill practice holes so you get the spacing right. And have a file on hand for the finishing touches. A little bit of weatherproofing foam to fill the void and your done.
Hopefully I get to try it out this weekend. Weather has been shitty up here.
I know already that the factory side is going to be a slow fill but it will be worth it, for me, anyways.

yooper
06-05-2013, 02:26 PM

HA!! I was going to post the EXACT same thing! Wrong vehicle. I have a Touareg also.

moombadaze
06-05-2013, 03:15 PM
I know already that the factory side is going to be a slow fill but it will be worth it, for me, anyways.

are you thinking this is due to the Tee fitting ?

props for being the first, you sure made it look simple. I allways wondered about that ridge and how to overcome that.

KRAK
06-05-2013, 07:48 PM
are you thinking this is due to the Tee fitting ?

props for being the first, you sure made it look simple. I allways wondered about that ridge and how to overcome that.

Yes it will fill slow because of the tee. I just can't find a 1-1/2" wye fitting anywhere. This was as close as I could get...17465 and I wasn't going to go there!

I'll snap some side views this weekend for you. The ridge was fine to go over.

ian ashton
06-05-2013, 08:20 PM
For those that fill on the water, right side is key on an inboard, especially when you are the only person on the boat, or in a river with strong currents!