PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Issues (Need Help Figuring Out The System)

walb0244
05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey guys,
This is my first post on here. I just purchased a 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV alittle over a week ago. I am having trouble figuring out the ballast system.

We took the boat out yesterday and after running around for about 10 minutes I noticed the handle to open the ski locker was sticking up. I opened it and the ballast bag in the ski locker was completely full. We stopped the boat and all 3 bags were full. All the switches were off. What is causing this?

Next problem, My understanding is that I should be able to fill each bag seperate. Correct? Well when I turn any of the 3 switches to fill it starts filling all 3 bags. Shouldn't I be able to just fill which ever bag I want to? What could be causing this?

newty
05-10-2010, 10:16 AM
There are little black tabs on the solenoids located under the rear seat check they are most certainly open. Just flip them back and the problem should stop.

jmvotto
05-10-2010, 10:16 AM
The little black levers on the sprinkler valves in the v drive compartment look to be open, ( fill when under way) they should be closed and thus controlled by the ballast switches on the dash. check those first.

Newty, great minds think alike

newty
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Yea what he said:mrgreen: ^^^

newty
05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes with the switches flipped up you are essentially by-passing the electric solenoid to an open state. Flip all of them down or the opposite of where they are and it should fix the problem.
Some dealers leave them open, as is part of the winterization procedure.
Hope that makes sense.

walb0244
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm guessing you guys are talking about the little black switches that are shown on the pumps. They are in the on position right now. So I need to change all these to the other position.

Now I'm understanding that this switch make it where the switches will control everything and it won't fill up when we are going across the lake.

Now what is causing the issue with all the pump filling at the same time.

you da man
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Well your ballast system has one intake and with the boat moving water was being forced into the system and being distributed by the manifold into each bag due to your valves being in the open position. Now that the valves are closed, hopefully this should prevent the bags from filling while underway.

brain_rinse
05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
...Now what is causing the issue with all the pump filling at the same time.
Likely all the same issue. Now you'll be able to control the valves independently.

walb0244
05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys. Will update once can try it out again.

walb0244
05-16-2010, 11:21 PM
We took the boat out this past weekend and the center bag filled with air really bad. Maybe I just need to get a day out on the lake and play with no one else to deal with. Everytime I go out it is with some people that want to wakeboard or tube and I can't really figure out the boat. Need wireless internet so I can pick all your brains while I'm on the lake too. Hahahaha.

kaneboats
05-17-2010, 11:05 AM
My center bag is filling too and my switch is in the right position. I wonder if it's just a bad sprinkler valve.

mmandley
05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
We took the boat out this past weekend and the center bag filled with air really bad. Maybe I just need to get a day out on the lake and play with no one else to deal with. Everytime I go out it is with some people that want to wakeboard or tube and I can't really figure out the boat. Need wireless internet so I can pick all your brains while I'm on the lake too. Hahahaha.

Center bag is filling with air due to pulling the boat the air hits the hull right on the drain fitting. i had this problem all year last year. Easy fix unhook the bag in the ski locker while towing. Then connect it right as you fill it in the water.

Better fix get a 1 way check valve on the out put line to block that air. Then get all the air out of the ski locker bag and you wont have this issue.

kaneboats
05-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Mine's filling with water too.

mmandley
05-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Id say yea you got as sticky valve Kane. Mine kept filling last year two when we would go to Yale. Always made me mad because at the end of the season the water was getting shallow in 1 section we had to cross and i didn't want ballast over that shelf LOL.

Might try switching the sprinkler with another one to test it. Or just switch hoses from a rear bag see if it move the problem.

kaneboats
05-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Good idea. We'll see if it wants to fill the surf bag.

walb0244
05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
What are the sprinkler valves I keep reading about and where are they?

cab13367
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
The sprinkler valves direct the flow of water from your fill pump. There are three, one for each sac. They are sitting on top of ur v-drive. Slide ur rear seat forward, remove the v-drive cover, and u will see them.

Walb, pls do us a favor and put your boat year and model in ur sig. Thx.

walb0244
05-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Got it now. Still figuring this site out. When I look under the V-drive there are the things there that look like pumps. Is there just 1 pump and 3 valves and they just redirect the water?

moombadaze
05-18-2010, 10:07 AM
My center bag is filling too and my switch is in the right position. I wonder if it's just a bad sprinkler valve.

If you need I can bring 6 sprinkler valves with me in july. 3 are 1" and 3 are 3/4"

mmandley
05-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Walb check this thread out man. Picture 13 shows the V drive compartment open and the grey valves are the sprinkler valves everyone is refering to.

You can read this hole thread as Al < Cab > wrote it and its very informative and will give you a walk around of some important things in the engine bay.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9877

kaneboats
05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
If you need I can bring 6 sprinkler valves with me in july. 3 are 1" and 3 are 3/4"

That would be awesome. I'll let you know. Thanks!