PDA

View Full Version : New 14.25 inch prop trailer clearance

aook23
05-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Well here is the deal guys,
Just had the dealer put a new prop on cause the one that was on the boat when we purchased it had some serious vibration issue's, none the less we had them put the larger (14.25 ) i think thats the proper measurement prop on.
When I checked the clearance on the trailer for the prop gaurd it is really close and I am wondering if I should modify my trailer or what routes I have to not worry, my biggest fear is obviously hitting the prop on the trailer while loading. Also I usaually power load due the weight of the 23ft of boat ...

So the 2 answers i am really searching for are:

Do i need to mod my trailer >?

To power load or not to power load >?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

DOCDRS
05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
first off how much clearance do you have?

aook23
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I would say with the boat on the trailer strapped down less the .5 inch

viking
05-10-2010, 12:34 AM
here's a thread on the subject.............

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10815&highlight=prop+clearence

kaneboats
05-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I might think about raising the back end of your bunks 1/2". Can't imagine that would wreak too much havoc with anything else.

aook23
05-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Yea, either that or re fab the guard i havent decided yet ... I am thinking shiming the bunks will be much eaiser but I will have to look at it tonight when I get home.

kaneboats
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
That's where I'd start-- just be careful to use wide enough shims as they will press into the wood if they are too small (like washer size).

ssmith
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm having a clearance issue on my 21v. I contacted Boatmate and they had a simple solution and this is the shim kit they sent...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAwMDUtMjAxMDA1MDctMTc0MS5q-1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/SU1HMDAwMDgtMjAxMDA1MDctMTgyMS5qcGc.jpg

aook23
05-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Hey ssmith,

what did that run you for cost ? And am i seeing correctly thats plastic right ?
Also all said and done what was your prop clearance after you installed the shims?

thanks for the post !!:smile:

mmandley
05-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Hey ssmith,

what did that run you for cost ? And am i seeing correctly thats plastic right ?
Also all said and done what was your prop clearance after you installed the shims?

thanks for the post !!:smile:

As for the shims yes. Its a HDP type plastic. AWS Shimmed my front bunks because on the trailer you could put your whole hand between the bunk and hull. This caused the nose of the boat to hit the roller all the time. They just unbolted the bunk shoved those in and rebolted it.

ssmith
05-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for posting that!

That would be a quick solution with the boat off the trailer.

Wonder how one just lifts the stern until the boat is 2" off the boards.

I was kinda wondering the same thing myself :confused:.

I never discussed any kinda price, they just sent it out to me. I haven't received a bill yet..shhhhhh :eek:

kaneboats
05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I've lifted boats off to change the bunks one at a time before. I just run a long 2x6 next to the bunk and raise the boat with the floor jack. The key is to spread the force out just like the bunk does. You only have to raise it a couple of inches. Be safe!